• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ash170990

205 Gti Rear Shoe Auto Adjusters

Ash170990

Hi Guys,

Ive had a qucik search but cant find anything. The other day i was out in the 205 and had a horrible grinding noise coming from the rear (similar sound to a wheel bearing failure) but when we took the hub off we notice that the self adjuster bit inside the hub had fallen off so was just going round in the drum!

Is this something i need to keep on the car as we put it back on (did the wheel bearings at the same time) but got like 2 minutes down the road and the noise returned so i assume its fallen off again as theres nothing to really hold it in place?

Please see attachment for a pic of the bit im on about.

Cheers,

ash

post-26749-0-13620700-1469519849.jpg

hoodygoodwood

Its an important part of the braking system as it stops the serrated ring from moving under normal conditions and is the crucial part of the drums auto adjustment mechanism ( its the ratchet ). There is no way it should be able to come out as the tab on the very top left of the plate in your picture should be behind the fork and therefore held firmly between it and the steel plate of the brake shoe .The tab could be bent or corroded away or maybe was never fitted behind the fork .

Ash170990

Thanks for the reply, i assume its been incorrectly fitted then as its very loose, the bit which is supposed to stop the ratchet bit doesnt touch the teeth and is quite far away, but i guess this could be as its not fitted correct?

Clarky3rdNut

First thing I've noticed is your top Spring appears to be the wrong way round.

This is a pic I took for reference of the Girling rears on my auto before rebuilding them.

E6E9598D-F4F0-49FA-8CA0-056464361C6C.jpg

Ash170990

thanks, but the pic was jsut off google just to show the part i was on about lol sorry. May just take a look for a 1.9 rear beam with disks.

Clarky3rdNut

Ah. I see. Think I'll go back to asking questions rather than trying to answer them!

Admire my rear drum ..for no reason.

• Like 1