• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

forbeslongden

1.8D To 1.8Td Conversion Requirements

forbeslongden

Hey all,

I recently bought a cheap D-Turbo 1991 5 door 205 with the thought of maybe swapping the engines round with my NA 1.8D 1996 car and was wondering what I should be asking garages when asking for a rough quote, I.e what needs changing over? From passing glance, I can see the speedo is different but I assume I can keep the one without the Rev counter? Also things like possible return valves, differences in brackets / mountings etc.... It's just really to help paint a picture of how easy / hard the work will be and give me an idea of the labour costs (I haven't exactly got a massive budget for these diesels to be honest)

Thanks in advance.

allye

Exhaust and radiator are different. Gearbox will have different ratios.

• Like 1

Weser

Its a pretty straight forward swap engine wise. As said the exhaust is different. You can keep the old loom and loose the rev counter if you want. I did it myself and I found it pretty easy. I kept the TD box on the TD engine. You might want to consider swapping the front suspension as well. The TD will have the Gti setup and it makes a big difference to the handling!

• Like 1

forbeslongden

I'm hoping to get the conversion done since both cars have the right bits in front of me to swap, the sub frame and superior underpinnings appeal to me. It's just now finding somewhere cheap to get it done which I think will be the major stumbling block ha!

forbeslongden

Okay, just to double clarify, I've got the turbo lump and g/box out of the car ready to fit into the N/A 1.8D, what else needs changing? ECU, fuel pump? wiring? I'm keeping the normal speedo (without rev counter)

Thanks again

welshpug

good luck with the ecu :D

forbeslongden

I'm guessing it isn't a straight swap over jobbie? ????

welshpug

its a diesel 205.

think about it.

• Like 1

forbeslongden

I don't get it Welsh, I haven't had my brain food this morning it would seem?

forbeslongden

its a diesel 205.

think about it.

There isn't one is there :wacko:​

welshpug

nope.

forbeslongden

Okay is there anything to change with the fuelling side of things? Or can I fit the engine in using the existing wiring as above but changing over the radiator and exhaust, is there anything else I need to take into account aside being an out and out amateur?

welshpug

as its diesel to diesel just unplug to the loom from the engine and lay it out of the way, remove engine and box, fit turbo engine and box, refit loom.

use the turbo exhaust.

forbeslongden

Right so everything is in and I presume working as the car has been running for two weeks now, I've taken it in to have a timing belt, water pump, oil filter / oil and glow plug change along with a general look around to make sure everything is bolted tight but I'm having slight problems starting the car, I'll go to it in the morning and the glow plug lights goes out after around 5-6 seconds and I'll turn the key, the car will attempt to fire but clearly it won't start - if you continue too long trying the battery sounds like it's getting weak although the battery isn't that old from memory. On second attempt (wait for plug light to go out, turn) it'll usually fire up but is very smoky to begin with.... Any idea where I should tackle this based on the symptoms?

welshpug

just need to wait for the relay to click off rather than just the light, fresher injectors will probably help a lot.

• Like 1

forbeslongden

Ah excellent stuff, thanks Mei, are the rubber hoses still available from main dealers incidently?

welshpug

the leakoff pipes? yep, about £10 for a metre iirc, can't find it anywhere else.

Anthony

In the current mild temperatures it really should start easily when the light goes out.

If it's that bad now I fear it'll be much more problematic in a couple of months time when it's below zero in the morning.

I assume this is on straight diesel rather than veg oil btw?

forbeslongden

Yeah its straight diesel, I'm puzzled as it had new glow plugs which I would have thought would eradicate potential starting issues, the way it puffs smoke when starting from cold makes me think that the engine isn't being warmed up correctly though.

• Like 1