• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

GLPoomobile

Number Plate Tape?

GLPoomobile

Hello trusted and knowledgeable car geeks ^_^

I want to buy some number plate adhesive tape but have no idea what to buy. Everything I've looked at gets variably reviews, with some saying it's the stickiest thing ever and some saying it's rubbish. But it's always tricky to trust the opinions of strangers (potential morons), whereas I always know I'll get sensible feedback on here :)

So does anyone have a product they've used and can recommend? Or, is adhesive tape just a total waste of time? There are other options I'm considering, but would prefer the clean uncluttered look. This is for pressed aluminium plates, and the front one will have a very slight curve.

Anthony

Probably not much help, but I've always just used some generic unbranded stuff from eBay and providing that the bits were clean and degreased, there was no way that they were going to come off again without a fair bit of effort.

The proviso there is that the plate is firmly stuck all around - I don't think that it would work on something like a 205 front number plate where it's only in contact with the bumper on the upper edge and the air pressing against the lower edge of the plate.

GLPoomobile

That's what I was thinking Anthony, that a lot of people who give bad reviews just don't know how to, or haven't, prepped their surfaces correctly. I have had cheap foam double sided tape (for other purposes, not number plates) that's been rubbish though, and after a year or so any that's left on the roll has just dried up a bit and has 0 adhesive quality to it any more.

For the front one there will be a bit of a gap where it overlaps the air intake, but not as bad as on a 205. More like 2/3 stuck at worst, or maybe 3/4 stuck. I suppose I could (though it's just more complication) make some small L shaped brackets that I could screw inside the air intake just to butt up behind the unstuck portion of the plate.

Or I could Tigerseal the bugger on :D

welshpug

anything wrong with a pair of number plate screws?

Rock Lobster

I have used the ones from halfords on 4 of my cars now and had no problems at all, they do it in a couple of thicknesses depending on the shape of your bumper etc.

Like you say, half the battle is in the prep, if you clean and degrease the surface well enough then you shouldn't have any problems.

Henry Yorke

Get a wide sticky pad with foam between the surfaces, so it will not shake off. I use brake cleaner on both surfaces before application and a firm press. Thin width tape has more chance of water getting in at the edges and it coming unstuck.

steve@cornwall

Stick some tigerseal in there as well, using the pads to keep it in position whilst the tiger seal cures. Won't be going anywhere then!

barneys66

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

I've got loads at the workshop and it's never let me down (and took some removing when required) - pm me your address and I'll send you some. In fact I think one of my quarter badges is held on with it, and the metal fender emblems on my truck!

May have to wait until next weekend to fetch it though, so no use if in a hurry..

Tom Fenton

I bought some from the local factors, it was bloody awful, paper backed foam tape. In the end bought a roll from Halfords of all places which is much better.

gmyorks

ive used some double sided sticky foam you can get from a upvc double glazing shop, thats on the rear plate.

Tom Fenton

I bought some from the local factors, it was bloody awful, paper backed foam tape. In the end bought a roll from Halfords of all places which is much better.

GLPoomobile

Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

I've got loads at the workshop and it's never let me down (and took some removing when required) - pm me your address and I'll send you some. In fact I think one of my quarter badges is held on with it, and the metal fender emblems on my truck!

May have to wait until next weekend to fetch it though, so no use if in a hurry..

Really?! Wow, thanks man, that is great :-) Absolutely no hurry at all. Will PM you later.

Cheers

barneys66

Really?! Wow, thanks man, that is great :-) Absolutely no hurry at all. Will PM you later.

Cheers

Anytime - us Barnabys have to stick together.. :D

GLPoomobile

Anytime - us Barnabys have to stick together.. :D

Ahhhh, I see what you did there - stick together - very good :lol:

I guess I best not tell you it's not my real name. Shocker I know! :wacko:

GLPoomobile

anything wrong with a pair of number plate screws?

would prefer the clean uncluttered look. This is for pressed aluminium plates, and the front one will have a very slight curve.

I chose pressed aluminium plates over standard plates because I'm being a bit of a tart. Therefore I don't want to lose tart points by having ugly plastic screw caps in there.

barneys66

I guess I best not tell you it's not my real name. Shocker I know! :wacko:

Argggh - the deception !! :P