• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

All Praise The GTI

309 Gti Barn Find.. What's It Worth

All Praise The GTI

Hi guys, been awhile since Ive Been active on here but trying to get back into the gti fold..

So I've come across abit of a barn find. J PLATE 309 GTI.

The car is in a very good condition.. No rust atall in usual places as was dry stored for over 5 years.

Hooked a battery up and the thing started running straight away and remarkably well actually apart from a cracked exhaust manifold blowing it idled great!

Only really down point is it definitely needs a respray as roof, bonnet etc are worst laquer peel and paints faded as it's now sat outside for a year.

Not sure what a full respray will cost but I'd really like to buy it and restore it but the guys after a high price and unsure if it's worth it. Looked online and can only find 3 309 gtis for sale and all are between 7-9k!!!

Just after some opinions really...

Gaz205

Is it a 3 or 5 door? And what's the history of the car like? Mileage? And are you looking to keep it or do it up and sell it on? A full decent respray I would expect to be around 2500-3000.

I can't see the dealers shifting there's for the money they ask tbh, it's all about what someone is willing to pay and may be more profit in it for you to sell it on in its current state than trying to convince Someone to part with thousands and thousands on a resto job where corners may have been cut.

Good find though!

All Praise The GTI

3 door!! Gun metal?

Pretty much completely standard except someone fitted after marker speakers in parcel shelf and tweeters in the bottom of doors at some point.

Bodywork and Interior looks like it's only done very low miles bit it's done 138k I believe. Not sure how many owners or what paperwork at moment but waiting on info.

All mechanical work I can do myself not that it would need much but as said definitely requires a respray.

I'd love to keep it and restore but it's come at wrong time don't have much cash sitting around but it's such a rare thing being a 3 door 309 I'd hate to see it left for scrap!!

Gaz205

Sounds like it's a good starting point and if it's only cosmetic and a good mechanical going over then it shouldn't be much of a worry. Maybe it is worth similar to a 1900 gti now when finished, anything up to around £4/5k seems the going price, some get more and some sell cheaper. I personally wouldn't want to pay more than £1000/£1500 if I knew I was chucking a respray at it and then try and sell it on as I just don't think there would be much profit in it. As a keeper then a tatty 1600 205 needing an overhaul fetch silly money, I personally have a 205 that owes me £2800 as it stands and is going for welding and a full respray in a few weeks but it came with low owners, good history and a ph1.

What's there asking price?

hoodygoodwood

That's a good find , be wary of thinking of it as an opportunity to sell on for a profit - unless you work in a bodyshop of course . Check the rear bumper side support brackets and the boot cubby holes above them as they love to rust . Water often leaks into the boot from a number of places and can find its way under the rear seats causing them to rot or mildew . The inner sills next to the fuel tank will almost certainly be rusty under the very thick seam sealer and elsewhere on the sills could be a problem .The bolt in the front wheel arch that secures the mudflap is often surrounded by rusty metal .

As a 3 door its worth approx. 50% more than an identical 5 door so that's good news .Loads of parts are unobtainable though so if you need F or R bumpers , side trims or red/black/silver strips you could struggle .

There is plenty of interest in 309's and if it was listed on Ebay it would probably get close to the £ 1000/1500 you mention .

dcc

how long it been sat?

if it's circa 10years id budget engine rebuild and probably full strip of the fuel system, possibly suspension and rear axle - i.e. £3-5k worth of work.

respray circa 1500-2000 for a cheap but tidy job.

all in if you can get it cheap enough, and get away without some of the cost mentioned, winner winner.

as it is i'd value it at 800-1500 ish

Alastairh

I would say 800-1000. But I would want to have a good poke around as they hide rust. If you don't go for it, pass on the details, I'm sure someone will save it.

All Praise The GTI

Sorry guys been manic at work and forgot reply. I don't touch bodywork so it would cost me there.

I had a quick poke around.. Under the mat in boot was perfectly solid and same under the seats. Couldn't check under the sills properly as was on mud and I was dressed nice lol. But she seemed really solid and ran pretty damn smooth for something that's sat a few years in storage.

It's just the highish mileage and fact it more than likely needs respray to make it Road tidy again. He was asking 1500 but unsure where he got the figure as not sure how much he knows about it

Gaz205

I think we have all come up with a ball park figure based on our own opinions, I think £1500 may be the top end of what the majority would pay but ultimately it's your call. do you actually want a 309 or is it because it's there and you kinda think you should snap it up? What are you thinking now?

All Praise The GTI

I'd love to get it and give it a light restoration.. Just refresh anything that needs it and keep it as a weekend car. I've had about 15 205's and wish I'd kept several of them!! But only ever had one 309 and that was a tatty 5 door red mi16. This would look and drive great once all tidied. Just a shame needs a spray and the cost of that is all that's putting me off. If he will drop his price then I shall buy it if I can. After all It's only 10 miles from me!! Just think he wants a little much considering the work it will need. I'am just waiting to hear back from him about its history and past owners etc and will see what he says

Gaz205

Just save up then for a respray, a lot of the prep you can do yourself and prob save a couple of days labour in stripping and rebuilding. If you don't buy it someone else will I guess, and then you'll kick yourself!

If you've had all those 205's then you know when you are looking at a lemon.

Good luck!

• Like 1

All Praise The GTI

Made the guy what I think is a fair offer after I've taken account of all the work that I saw it needs but as mentioned by you guys there's a whole load of horrors that might be hiding underneath!!

Turns out the mileage is actually 152k!! And 6 previous owners and very little history.

It's been sat for 5 years and was only used for 1 year previous in this guys hands.

The drivers wing is damaged and needs replacing or some work to straiten. There's a small dent below paint on near side rear quarter. And right below boot is a small rusted hole so need a patch welding. Also underside of boot lid. Under the edge of bonnet is starting to rust but not bad. Apart from that she is pretty straight on the doors and lines just a shame paints ruined on bonnet and roof and obviously the spoiler and grill.

As said everything mechanical I can do but I have zero bodywork skills.

He's saying he knows I'am genuine and will restore her well so he's dropped price a little to £1100.. But with the mileage and bodywork I stil think that's a little too much of a risk even I'd I would be keeping her afterwards

tartanbloke

Take the chance to get it or don't and then kick yourself in a number of years. 152,000 miles is not a lot and it shows that it has been used, which is better than sitting around doing nothing with rubbers perishing etc.

Gaz205

Is he amenable to allowing you to have it taken to a test centre and put it through an mot? I take it it runs? Do the basics with tyres bulbs and oil change etc, a small investment could either give you the confidence to buy or save you a load of wasted cash.

He would have to be very reasonable to do that though, and £1100 sounds a better number.

It's gonna end up owing you 3-4K I'd imagine by the times it's finished worse case scenario I bet

welshpug

not many left so go for it.

speno

I'm selling a goodwood which needs paint . Full history and and solid . I want 2 k for that if that helps