• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

yorkshirekowboy

Door Pocket Screws Or Bolts?

yorkshirekowboy

Just been attaching my door pockets to the door and some are just spinning. So I was thinking of using my rivet nut gun the pit threaded inserts in the doors. Is this drastic or has this been done before? As I'm sure with many of the pockets these days they are brittle and mine have a few hair line cracks in where the holes in the pocket are so maybe using a pan head Bolt would be neater and easier to get the pockets on and off. Any ideas would be great.

Tom Fenton

Sounds a good idea to me

Maybe use some nylon washers under the screw heads to cushion the door pocket.

Simes

I went for bigger self tappers.

Tom Fenton

Trouble with self tappers is the holes over time just get bigger and bigger and bigger.....!

I reckon rivnuts is a good solution

yorkshirekowboy

Cheers guys, we're the original screws m4 star type one?

GLPoomobile

There's a type of trim panel fastener that might work well for this. My Volvo uses them but I think they are quite a common type. It's a plastic rivet that you insert from outside of the panel through the hole and then it has a plastic pin in the middle that you push in until it clicks in place, at which point it pushes the plastic prongs apart that are now on the back side of the panel, so holding it in place. And when you want to remove them, you just push the pin in slightly with a small phillips head screwdriver or similar to release the rivet. They work really well.

yorkshirekowboy

Is that what you use on yours?

GLPoomobile

Sorry, should have been clearer. I've never fitted that type on anything other than where originally fitted (i.e. on my Volvo door panels), I was just making the suggestion that they could work well on the 205 door pockets as they really are a very effective and elegant design. I'm sure if you searched on ebay you'd find them for sale, and they should be available in many colours.

I'll see if I can find any on eBay now so you can see what I mean.

GLPoomobile

OK, these are very similar to the Volvo ones, fundamentally the same principle anyway. eBay item number 122344858320

EDIT: or look at 181518700846. Almost exactly like the ones on my Volvo, just a bit rough around the edges.

Edited by GLPoomobile

yorkshirekowboy

Thank you. I'm sure my Astravan uses them. Only thing I can see being an issue is the heaf of the fastener will be to big to fit in the allowed spaced for the screw on on the pocket?

allye

OK, these are very similar to the Volvo ones, fundamentally the same principle anyway. eBay item number 122344858320

EDIT: or look at 181518700846. Almost exactly like the ones on my Volvo, just a bit rough around the edges.

that would be way too big to fit in the recess of the screw hole in the pocket, even large head screws don't fit.

As its not really load bearing I'd say riv nut is a little OTT, Something like this would do nicely, can re-use original torx screws too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Plastic-Nylon-lock-Nuts-Captive-Lock-Nuts-Trim-Fixing-/142312997182?hash=item212284013e:g:3aQAAOSwtExVgtYJ

yorkshirekowboy

Hello, using that wouldn't you have to drill a massive hole to fit the captive nylon fastener in though?

allye

no bigger than a hole for rivnut?

Tom Fenton

That needs a 7x7mm square. An M4 rivnut probably a 6mm hole. I do agree a nylon insert is a nice solution but its finding one that's small enough!

speno

I used to panel beat the holes smaller

steve@cornwall

I used to panel beat the holes smaller

Ditto. Hold a lump hammer or dolly behind the panel, smaller hammer to the front of panel to flatten the metal where distorted by self tappers. Needs very little usually

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

Thank you. I'm sure my Astravan uses them. Only thing I can see being an issue is the heaf of the fastener will be to big to fit in the allowed spaced for the screw on on the pocket?

Fair enough. I did wonder if that might be the case as it's been years since I've looked at a 205 door pocket (and don't have a 205 anymore) but vaguely remembered the tapered channel leading to the screw hole being tight for space.

Juttie205

I used some m4 nutserts in doors the some button head allen bolts in black to fix mine on.

toolie72

Short stannah stairlift screws holding mine on-I'm a miser though!!!