Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Getting 205 Ph1 Back To The Origins

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

soeima

soeima
  • Passengers
  • 25 posts
  • Name:David Soeima

Hi there guys,

I just purchased a 205 GTI and realised that the previous owner had swapped all the dashboard from the original ph1 to a ph2 interior.

Now everything is broken due to bad swapping and not color matching at all.

• Can you guys help me figure out if there is any possibility of fitting any other ph1 205 model dash on my 205 gti?

• Also, the care came with a strange boot without grill. is that original? (check picture)

• Is there any information on the web regarding the parts beeing original or not? I would like to have a more detailed overview about the car I just bought.

Thanks in advance!

http://imgur.com/o9wLFMh

http://imgur.com/a/xNxfl

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 29,968 posts
  • Name:Mei
the tailgate/boot is correct for your car, you can tell by the phase1 spoiler and profile of the top of the panel.

I would imagine that the main part of the dashboard like the ph1.5 and 2 are the same as a base model, with different glovebox and instrument panel sections.

in the uk at least the dashboard parts are particularly hard to find, they were extremely fragile!!

Gaz205

Gaz205
  • Drivers
  • 319 posts
  • Name:Gareth
Are you wanting to get it back to original? I think any ph1 dash will fit until you get to the instrument panel. I prefer the ph2 to be honest and and easier task might be to repair what you have. The boot lid is like that on some where I think they have just removed the slatted panel and cleaned it up. You could quite easily return that to standard by fitting another panel more than likely with an adhesive as your locating pegs are missing I guess?
There appears to be no side repeaters in your wings either, not sure if the country of registration needed them or not but I imagine they are replacement wings.... You look like you need orange front lenses too.
Best colour though 👍

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 29,968 posts
early cars had no side repeaters.

soeima

soeima
  • Passengers
  • 25 posts

Hi there, thanks for all the replies! 

The car is from 1984, one of the first GTIs. This one should have come with orange front lenses and ph1 interior. 

I would like the boot to have the grill with the decals. Do I have to change the boot or I just have to find a grill and stick it?

Henry Yorke

Henry Yorke
  • Team Managers
  • 4,531 posts
  • Name:err.. Henry Yorke
Garage View Garage
Find a grill and use adhesive to stick it on. No need to change the boot. If you really want to make it original, it needs 4 rivets on the boot panel and a hole by the lock, but you will never see these once you put a grill on

barneys66

barneys66
  • Drivers+
  • 445 posts
  • Name:Barney Jones
Garage View Garage

Assume it was originally a 1.6 then - does it have the 1.9 engine to go with the badges and wheels..?

soeima

soeima
  • Passengers
  • 25 posts

Assume it was originally a 1.6 then - does it have the 1.9 engine to go with the badges and wheels..?

Oh yes. 1.9 rear axle, engine and gearbox.

soeima

soeima
  • Passengers
  • 25 posts
Just about to purchase some parts for it.
Wings, doors and Bonnet. The guy says that the holes and the joint points are different on the gti and I should get it from one.

I also found a ph1 interior (Dashboards except speedo and the top plastic of it)from a regular 205 (741A/C). Will it work on my GTI?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 29,968 posts

why would you think that?
oh, 84 ha.

soeima

soeima
  • Passengers
  • 25 posts

why would you think that?oh, 84 ha.

why would you think that?oh, 84 ha.

He is right. 1.9 was only released only in 1986 and forward. Mine being a 1984 model is def a 1.6

barneys66

barneys66
  • Drivers+
  • 445 posts
  • Name:Barney Jones
Garage View Garage
It's a fine looking car either way - looking forward to seeing more.

Mikey S

Mikey S
  • Drivers
  • 941 posts
  • Name:Mike
Garage View Garage

Just about to purchase some parts for it.
Wings, doors and Bonnet. The guy says that the holes and the joint points are different on the gti and I should get it from one.
I also found a ph1 interior (Dashboards except speedo and the top plastic of it)from a regular 205 (741A/C). Will it work on my GTI?

Doors will fit but you'll have to drill them and then rivet them with the special rivets to hold the red trim on. Wings are different on the Gti but the bonnet will fit fine.

The basic dash will fit ok along with the centre section that holds the heating controls but you'll need the lower half of that (under the radio) from a Gti so you can fit the Gti centre console.

Mike.

soeima

soeima
  • Passengers
  • 25 posts

Doors will fit but you'll have to drill them and then rivet them with the special rivets to hold the red trim on. Wings are different on the Gti but the bonnet will fit fine.
The basic dash will fit ok along with the centre section that holds the heating controls but you'll need the lower half of that (under the radio) from a Gti so you can fit the Gti centre console.
Mike.

Thank you Mike!

I will share some pictures tomorrow on the interior. There's a lot that I already have.

Mikey S

Mikey S
  • Drivers
  • 941 posts
  • Name:Mike
Garage View Garage

Thank you Mike!
I will share some pictures tomorrow on the interior. There's a lot that I already have.

Looking forward to seeing some!

Mike

Rjuhar

Rjuhar
  • Drivers
  • 255 posts
  • Name:Gregor
Got the upper and lower gti ph1 dash for you, which is darker grey than a base model one plus it has a glovebox door which a base model doesn't. I also have the front part of the radio console but am missing the carpeted part.

soeima

soeima
  • Passengers
  • 25 posts

Hi there!

Here's an update for you guys as promissed,

http://imgur.com/a/h2msr

Interior all messed up! Goal is to find and fit a good condition Phase 1 dashboard.

http://imgur.com/a/3oZNh

Got some new Tyres aswell, old ones were going to kill me on the next corner.

http://imgur.com/a/Buwck

Got him 2 pairs of nankang sportnex ar-1 (can give feedback later on on these ones).

Cheers! 

Got the upper and lower gti ph1 dash for you, which is darker grey than a base model one plus it has a glovebox door which a base model doesn't. I also have the front part of the radio console but am missing the carpeted part.

That souds very tempting! do you have some pics for me? 

Thanks mate

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,935 posts
  • Name:Simon
Garage View Garage

early cars had no side repeaters.

Nor do European versions.

Rjuhar

Rjuhar
  • Drivers
  • 255 posts
  • Name:Gregor
https://www.dropbox.....11.43.jpg?dl=0

soeima

soeima
  • Passengers
  • 25 posts

https://www.dropbox.....11.43.jpg?dl=0

That looks perfect. Just the way I want mine to become!
You are breaking the dashboard