• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shooter mcgavin

Floaty, Vague Rear End

shooter mcgavin

Swapped my tyres from toyo 888R to toyo t1R and a t the same

Time dropped the suspension a few mm and ever since the rear end of the car is stepping out mid corner, feels sloppy almost as if your towing a trailer.

30 mph and a few turns left and right it's as if the rear end is a few seconds behind. I hope I'm making some sense here.

I've been running Gaz coilovers, rebuilt 309 beam with solid mounts for a few year and been perfect till now.

No clunks or bangs almost feels like rear wheel steer

welshpug

Probably need to lift the rear a bit and make sure the pressures are correct, do a few more miles to wear the tyres in.

T1R has a much softer carcass and a harder rubber than the R888 so they need a bit more air in them.

are the sills level or raked with the rear higher?

shooter mcgavin

Sits very slightly lower ar the front and running 30 psi all round.

Tyres are scrubbed in well

welshpug

Probably needs a bit more than that.

how low exactly?

shooter mcgavin

Handling was great for 2 years till I swapped the tyres and lowered it again, think I dropped it 5mm front and back so rake was same as before.

Can't remember how to post a photo on here ???? Not been here In a while ????

Edited by shooter mcgavin

shooter mcgavin
DBDA7E1F-6B32-44D6-AE4D-45B476A54B48_zps

welshpug

try some decent tyres like a Michelin and returning the ride height to what it was.

shooter mcgavin

Run t1R on my cosworth and have no issues was thinking I'd missed something when reseting the rear end.

What pressures are you running?

welshpug

on a 205 32, zx 36.

mb15

I have the t1r on my track car and also feel they give a loose feel to the rear end, i think it is the softer side walls.

Also swapped from toyo 888 and yokohama advan ao48's so a very similar comparison.

I think the t1r is cheap for good reason, on a wet day at rockingham the rear end was steeping out on the sighting laps.

mb15

Just out of interest welshpug, do you think its better to have a slight rake on the ride height from back to front then? Gonna try a few more psi in them myself after reading this.

welshpug

they did as standard and do work very well retaining that so yes I would recommend it.

• Like 1

allanallen

I've a feeling raising the rear may not help with the vauge feeling that the tyre change has created.

• Like 1

welshpug

I've a feeling raising the rear may not help with the vauge feeling that the tyre change has created.

I agree with that yes, just because a tyre works on a 1300 kg 4x4 vehicle in a different size doesnt mean it'll work on a 875 kg 2wd hatch, personally never liked that tyre myself.

dobboy

The TR1's are brutal in the wet/damp. In the dry they are ok for the money.

I had them briefly on mine and would never buy them again. Fortunately mines were the type with a red pinstripe on the tread, which was a specification for a race series of a young local lad and he took them off my hands. I think the other colour is green, and I think the pinstripe determined a slight difference in compound.

Even joining motorways on long bend slip roads I always had a feeling the back could go at any minute, horrible sensation.

Can't remember exactly what I set mines at after various combos and measuring but fronts at 27 and the backs at 28 (warm) springs to mind, and after a little bit of excitement they both settled in the low 30's.

edit, and they're no use on a track either, like they're sometimes advertised for.

Edited by dobboy

Mac Crash

Car looks stunning but correct forward rake is essential... as is tyres on a 205, you must have a fairly stiff sidewall or you are wasting your time.... and also maximum tyre pressure, it is impossible to heat the rear tyres on a road going 205 anyway. Think about it logically, how can you balance a FWD car under power that is higher at the front than the rear?

Putte205

I tried t1r more than 10 years ago on my 205, never again. I had the same issues, rear end was floting all over the place due to the weak side walls. This was in 16". Swapped for Michelins and have used them since with no problems at all, prefer Pilot sport these days

petert

Definitely needs 25mm rake, measured on the sill. ie rear higher than front. And decent tyres.

camgti

To be homest your car looks too low to handle well anyway. It will have the front geo all over the place which will understeer and that in turn leads to an unstable rear due to the extra angle you will have to get the car rotating.

Lift it up 25-30mm and see how you go. A thicker rear ARB can be adventageous.

This is all therotical from personal experience. See how you go.