Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Afm Remanufacturing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 995 posts
Garage View Garage

Hi all,

As many will be aware I'm in the process of refreshing the GTI. As the engine bay is getting a repaint  and a rebuilt engine is going to be fitted I started thinking about all the other components I might have to renew.

Most stuff seems fairly easy, hoses, distributor etc - just a case of throwing enough money at it. I then thought maybe I should look for a new or reconditioned AFM. As far as I'm aware mine has been fitted since 1989 and has covered about 250000 miles.

I've seen ATP electronics mentioned a few times on the forum so contacted them about possibly reconditioning my AFM. So far the process has been quite painful, about £50 to send it to them and £200 to refurb it if required. I have asked what do they refurb? the resistive track? the wiper arm or spring? I can't get an answer other than whatever needs doing.  Now bearing in mind that I want this car to be good for a pain free 60k of motoring post completion I'd like to know what the £200 buys you!

As I'm an electronics engineer by trade and have taken a couple of AFMs to bits its professional but also customer based curiosity. I vaguely remember reading that the track cant be replaced but equally I cant confirm that . Also I'm fairly sure the spring mechanism was set at manufacture.

So, has anybody had any experience of an AFM refurb by this company? Or is there any other company that reconditions them? Any help would be great

Thanks.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
  • Name:Mei
yep, had one done many years ago, worked spot on, very minimal faffing to get the car running at 1.5% co, was great on fuel for a gti.

have seen their sticker on so many afm's, id imagine they know what they're doing.

ive never come across any other companies that do them.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
it was £150 exchange 10 years ago.

not sure why you paid £50 to post an ecu, should be £15 at the most.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 995 posts
Garage View Garage

Do you know what they did to it Mei?

I haven't posted it yet - they said £50 to test and return it.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,081 posts
ohh i see.

you can test yourself easily enough.

no idea what was done, it looked and worked like new, has a warranty, cant ask for much more!

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,772 posts
Garage View Garage
Throwing the cat amongst the pigeons for a moment, the problem I see with going down this route is, unless you want absolute originality, the same sort of money it'll cost to get the AFM and dizzy refurbished would buy you a complete MP3.1 setup from a ZX Volcane if you're patient (they come up for sale very rarely!)

That's unquestionably a far better setup in every regard than Jetronic is even with refurbished bits...

It might be worth keeping an eye out on eBay and the like, as occasionally NOS AFM's do appear on there.

Leslie green

Leslie green
  • Drivers
  • 131 posts
  • Name:Leslie

There were new ones on ebay not that long ago which would seem like a better way than fixing a very worn one ,same sort of money too as that refurb if I remember right.

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,236 posts

There are quite a few on ebay actually, brand new Bosch AFMs are £383.86 here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391464386916

And some cheaper old stock ones here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272826403142

DamirGTI

DamirGTI
  • Pitcrew
  • 2,758 posts
  • Name:Damir
Potentiometer track seems to be main issue on AFM , adjusting can be done easy if having an WB sensor/gauge . Theres some spec. carbon ink for "filling" the worn potentiometer track .. haven't tried myself yet but will do on the next occasion .

D

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 995 posts
Garage View Garage

Thanks guys. Not sure what Ill do yet. Maybe that Ill go for an Emerald setup and a stripped out AFM as Jackherer has suggested. Not sure yet.