• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jacobs53

Mi16 Throttle Body 3 Types?

jacobs53

i have just brought what i thought was a mi16 throttle body. But the butterflys are a little bigger than the standard mi16 throttle body i already had, i haven't got a vernier to hand to measure them, but there definitly bigger by eye.

Its a weber item and from the top you wouldn't even know there different, except for the size of the chokes.

heres the picture.

DSCF0014s.jpg

the original mi16 is the far right one, the weber one is the middle one, and the left side one is a VAG item

cheers lee

Edited by jacobs53

C_W

The one on the right is most likely off a BX GTi 8v; exact same body but the butterflys are a little smaller. Mi16's are about 34mm?

Where did you get the smaller body from?

Wurzel

The VAG item looks like the one I fitted (Audi 100 Quattro). I found that I had to remove and turn the small butterfly spindle 180 degrees in order for it to work correctly with the throttle position switch. Also, as I wasn't sure that the Mi switch was purely an on/off affair and so wanted to retain it, I had to make up some simple brackets and then use longish bolts and nuts to hold the switch in place.

Seems to be working fine. Absolutely no idea what it i like over standard as I've not tried the standard one yet ;)

It would help if you could get hold of the rubber hose that connected to it should you wish to use it. I cut the end off to make a type of 'spacer' to help fill the gap as the original 405 inlet hose is slightly too large in diameter.

Could the middle one be off the 2litre Mi??

edit: C_W answered the question :(

Edited by Wurzel

C_W

A breakers tried to sell me an 8v gti body as it looked identical until i compared them side by side, so I'm pretty sure thats the answer.

I think the 2.0Mi16 uses a single large throttle like the GTi6?

jacobs53

the bx gti (we think) chokes are 36-38mm and the other throttle body is 40-42mm. I have also noticed that the gasket that came with the standard (Bx gti) throttle body is smaller and fouls the larger throttle body.

Actually i think the bigger throttle body was from a citroen xm is i remember correctly, ive had it for a while.

cheers lee

KRISKARRERA

So the SRI throttlebody is smaller that the Mi16? I always thought they were same size.

hman205

I have just come across similar after having problems with the Throttle body on my Bx Mi16 Rob Thomson has kindly given me a spare throttle body to use it looks identical on the outside apart from linkages but inside quite different Smaller looking but its on the car now as i needed to use it for work !

main differance is my original BOdy both butterflys open at the same time and have a geared linkage on them also casting stamped as 87

Where as the new body open the lower butterfly only and once you hit full throttle open the second casting on this item is 89

Both are Weber items

gives the car more tracabillity but the whole effect is the car feels slower! so i think i better referb the old item quickly as i want the feel of power back

DrSeuss

The 2ltr mi16 uses a 55mm throttle body, the 2ltr turbo a 60ish mm tb?

DrSeuss

The main question has to be why? There are enough other restrictions to mean replacing the t/b is not only time consuming but could adversely affect your conversion. The piping for a 2ltr turbo isn't exactly easy without complicating it even further with different throttle bodies

hman205

I have a standard mi16 in a 205gti mine came from a Bx im just attempting to find a direct replacement for what i already had as this part failed on me!

Kitch
I have just come across similar after having problems with the Throttle body on my Bx Mi16 Rob Thomson has kindly given me a spare throttle body to use it looks identical on the outside apart from linkages but inside quite different Smaller looking but its on the car now as i needed to use it for work !

main differance is my original BOdy both butterflys open at the same time and have a geared linkage on them also casting stamped as 87

Where as the new body open the lower butterfly only and once you hit full throttle open the second casting on this item is 89

Both are Weber items

gives the car more tracabillity but the whole effect is the car feels slower! so i think i better referb the old item quickly as i want the feel of power back

I've just fitted one of these on my Mi lump. Looks the same as a std unit, but with a plastic cable housing and like you say.....one opens before the other. Inside looks identical, bar for the fact the std one has little ridges before the flaps, and the A/M one has been machined down so its flush.

Both are printed Weber...one with 87 and one with 89.

The difference I've noticed is that the initial response is softer....its not as repsonsive as before because only one butterfly works with a little throttle. However when you bury it it pulls normally up to about 5500rpm then it really gets going.....pulling much more intensly than before to the limiter. I was amzed the difference it made, I didn't go out of my way to find one.....just stumbled across it and bolted it on.

IvarS

It is from a Citroen XM, the Mi16 butterfly diameter is 38mm and the XM 42mm.

Sign in to follow this