• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dream Weaver

Mi Wont Start, Mot Tomorrow :(

Dream Weaver

OK, been running about the last 2 days trying to get the 205 finished for its MOT tomorrow.

Managed to bleed the brakes last night even though the rear NSR caliper nipple is sheared, but thought I should try it anyway and the pdeal feels fine so far.

Got some bits from the scrappers this morning, then in the afternoon got everything fitted and ready for tomorrow, and had an hour to spare so decided I would test the car out on the road for the first time and try the brakes, engine, TB's out etc. :)

I've had the car started at least 10 times in the last week, always started straight away, though the Emerald needs mapping as the idle was all over the place, but it seemed happy enough to rev so thought it may be fine when on the road and warmed up.

Went to start her up and nothing - starter turned, ECU LED went green to show the CAS is working but it wouldnt fire. So, left it for a while then went to try again and this time after 3 turns it let out the loudest bloody BACKFIRE I have EVER heard :o Not sure where it came from either :P

It rattled the garage door, bonnet and my teeth :(

I have no idea whats happening. I was worried that it may have been detonation but doubt the plugs could get hot in the space of 20 seconds, but I checked the plugs as a matter of course - they are black and sooty, which suggests the mixture is too rich as I thought.

Any ideas what I can do? I'm scared to start it up again in case the engine implodes, and dont really know how the Emerald works yet. :(

Anthony

If it backfired and you haven't touched it since it last worked, then I'd guess you've got a weak/intermittent spark (damp ignition) or it's chucking in way to much fuel and flooded.

Check the ignition system is all looking OK (including no oil in the bottom of the spark plug holes) and if needs be, unplug the injectors and try starting it to see if it's flooded (if it is, it'll usually run momentarily and then cut out).

DrSeuss

Sounds like a CAS fault, i didn't have mine bolted into my engine properly, it managed to jump out momentarily stopping the ignition.

This resulted in a massive bang! which made me think it'd blown up my engine, nervously i did a compression test and thankfully it was fine. Put the CAS back in and it sparked into life.

Robsbc
OK, been running about the last 2 days trying to get the 205 finished for its MOT tomorrow.

Managed to bleed the brakes last night even though the rear NSR caliper nipple is sheared, but thought I should try it anyway and the pdeal feels fine so far.

Got some bits from the scrappers this morning, then in the afternoon got everything fitted and ready for tomorrow, and had an hour to spare so decided I would test the car out on the road for the first time and try the brakes, engine, TB's out etc. :)

I've had the car started at least 10 times in the last week, always started straight away, though the Emerald needs mapping as the idle was all over the place, but it seemed happy enough to rev so thought it may be fine when on the road and warmed up.

Went to start her up and nothing - starter turned, ECU LED went green to show the CAS is working but it wouldnt fire. So, left it for a while then went to try again and this time after 3 turns it let out the loudest bloody BACKFIRE I have EVER heard :o Not sure where it came from either :P

It rattled the garage door, bonnet and my teeth :(

I have no idea whats happening. I was worried that it may have been detonation but doubt the plugs could get hot in the space of 20 seconds, but I checked the plugs as a matter of course - they are black and sooty, which suggests the mixture is too rich as I thought.

Any ideas what I can do? I'm scared to start it up again in case the engine implodes, and dont really know how the Emerald works yet. :(

The MSPB needs changing....Will reduce the whole map...I would for the time being bung in the standard Mi16 injectors and use the map Emerald supplied...Thta should help matters as that's what they used...Also I think the fuel pressure may have been 4 bar...

The map I got of DW was way out for my Mi16 but for teh short term I used the Mi injectots and SBCX tweaked the map. I was running 3 bar and tehir maps are for 4 bar for the Mi I believe.

Dream Weaver

The map I had with it had the fuel pressure at 2.70 bar and injectors at 200 cc/min.

MSPB was at 65 IIRC.

Robsbc
The map I had with it had the fuel pressure at 2.70 bar and injectors at 200 cc/min.

MSPB was at 65 IIRC.

Mean sweet FA...The 2.7 and 200ccmin is a default value...Those value woudl be saved in the ECU not in the map....

Just stick the Mi injetcors in and report how it runs...

Or ask Rik_16v205 for his map as it's been mapped and he's running big injectors in the 350cc mark...

The car isnt gonna run perfect I've just helped a mate from this forum laod in a S16 Emerald map for his S16. Runs ok but you can tell it needs a remap and he's at Emerald this friday to sort it out.

Edited by Robsbc

Dream Weaver

Cheers Rob, will re-fit the Mi injectors back in tomorrow am.

I think the Saab Red's may flow too much at 360cc anyway, causing the bad idle/cold starting due to longer time taken to inject small amounts of fuel.

Robsbc
Cheers Rob, will re-fit the Mi injectors back in tomorrow am.

I think the Saab Red's may flow too much at 360cc anyway, causing the bad idle/cold starting due to longer time taken to inject small amounts of fuel.

Also noticed your injectors are close to inlet whereas that base map for the mi the injector poistion is futher..For starting you would require less fuel compared to injectors further away plus fitting the bigger injectors and not doing the injection scale map option would cause havoc for starting and make it run real rich..

Dream Weaver

Balls, just had to cancel my MOT :(

I fitted the Mi injectors back in this morning, and removed and cleaned the spark plugs but it still wont start and the battery is just about dead now. :)

Emerald is turning green, so its sensing the engine rotation, rpm is showing a reading, and load is being recognised from the TPS but it just wont attempt to even start.

Very annoying after so much work this week, i'm back in the "selling up" club again :angry:

Dream Weaver

Bloody thing, just thought i'd give it one last go, and wanted to check the cambelt wasnt fubar'd by watching the cam ends on cranking and its done the BIG backfire on me again, but I was stood on the sill this time and its deafened me...literally, my left ear is blank and sore :)

Its coming from the exhaust, probably all the extra fuel thats sitting in there :D

Charging the battery now, so will try it all again tomorrow/weekend.

Tested the CAS, that is fine, TPS is fine, plug holes have no oil in them.

So just need to check the coil now, plus I will fit some new plugs just to rule those out.

Sign in to follow this