• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Removing Calipers

GLPoomobile

When trying to remove my front (1.9) calipers the other day I became stumped as I didn't appear to have the right tool.

The bolts that I assumed to be the correct ones that hold the caliper to the hub seemed to be of the variety that require a large allen key to remove. A 10mm was too big, an 8mm too small, and I didn't have a 9mm. Dropped in to Halfords last night to pick up a new set of allen keys and realised that none of the sets have 9mm keys!

So, I just had a look on the main site at the guide to doing the 307 brake swap and it mentions that the caliper bolts are 13mm.

So what's going on? Has some muppet put some weird bolts on my brakes or what?

Thanks.

Green Machine

the bolts that hold the caliper to the hub are 19mm head bolts, a decent 19mm socket and ratchet will get them off

pug_ham

Steve, I think you have been trying to undo the two five sided bolts, to remove the caliper completely there are two 19mm bolts (like Mike says) underneath the piston body to remove yokes, calipers & all but two 13mm(ish) nuts slightly outside the two you've been trying that screw into the sliders to lift the caliper body clear for changing pads. (The maroon dots in attached picture, the ones you've been trying are the yellow ones afaik).

The 19mm bolt holes are visable in that picture though.

Graham.

post-71-1140717874_thumb.jpg

DrSeuss

you'll need a breaker bar mate, they're done up properly tight. Also turning the wheel so the hub gives best access helps alot!

Foltan

yeah if not, lie under the car, get sumone to hold the spanner in place and give it a good kicking! :)

jim205GTI

bloody back breaking work it is!!! took me longer to get 4 bolts off then it did to swap the calipers and discs over :D

Tried doing the back ones a while ago and wondered why the supension arm kept moving up and down then realised i should have kept the wheel on :)

Guest smokinslim

And get some thread-lock on them when you put them back in. Had one fall out a while ago. Luckily wasn't going fast, could have been rather messy...

Edd-XS

Ahh see now ive taken my brakes and stuff apart so many times i swear ive halved the time on most of the jobs i need to do on my car! Never had a bolt come loose or fall out either.

My tip is, copper grease every nut and bolt when it goes back together, and do it up tight! Look after your nuts, and they'll look after you :)

Edd

Sign in to follow this