• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug_sport

Xantia 2.0 16v

Pug_sport

Hi there all,

I have been offered a Xantia 2.0 16v sx which I believe to be the 138bhp engine. (free)

I know that the vsx is the mi engine 155bhp.

But what are the differences between the two to make the difference in power?

Can you change parts and tune it to make 155bhp easily or not?

Is it still worth putting it into my 205 as a replacement to my 1.9?

Thanks, Stewart.

Dom9

Presume that is the 306 XSi 16v engine then, like in my car... You need GTI-6 manifolds and cams to get the power up apparently!

Pug_sport

Could you use the cams and inlet from the mi engine

Sandy

Mi cams don't fit post 97 engines. What you need is two cams on GTi-6 inlet cam blanks. catcams made some for me, although i haven't used them yet.

Pug_sport

How much benefit will i get over the 1.9 8v engine that is already in the car with the standard 2.0 16v?

Would it be better on fuel? Will it be more responsive and would it be quicker? :)

Sandy

The standard cams are super mild and the inlet trunking is quite restictive, so it's not going to be as lively as the 1.9 i'd say. But quite likely more economical and still very strong torque.

KRISKARRERA
The standard cams are super mild and the inlet trunking is quite restictive, so it's not going to be as lively as the 1.9 i'd say. But quite likely more economical and still very strong torque.
Considering most 1.9s never made 130bhp and that the 138bhp 206/306/406 engine often dynos at more than 138 I'd say it certainly wouldn't be any slower.

Rob Thomson

One of my workmates has a Xantia Estate with that engine, and I'm always impressed by it's performance. It feels nicely torquey and free revving, from the passengers seat at least. I reckon it would be a great engine in a 205 or 309.

jim205GTI

the 16 valve engine is certainly more torquey and it pulls well in fifth when you accelerating on the motorways :) and i think its a nice smooth ride aswell :)

Sandy

By "lively", I mean the 16v doesn't feel as keen generally, even if it is more powerful (and heavier don't forget).

Pug_sport

I have the xantia now.

I have looked at the engine and it looks rather strange!! :wacko:

It has a big thing on top of the inlet manifold that the throttle cable goes to, Do I have to move this or what? as i don't think that it will fit under the bonnet of a 205 with it there?

Would i be better off sorting the xantia and selling it or trying to do the conversion?

To sort the xantia it needs a brake pipe for the mot!! don't think there is anything else wrong!

Not sure how easy they are to do as the pipe is under the sphere on the drivers side.

It does seem a bit of a shame to break it as it is a very nice car to drive with lots of gadgets.

I even thought about keeping it and selling the pug???? Although possibley not one of my best idea's!!! :(

DrSeuss

Run it for free, can't beat bangernomics.

Sign in to follow this