• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Major 1.9 Problems, Help Please

Richie-Van-GTi

Been out in the 205 today, 1.9 8v, was running perfect for ages, then on my way home it started 'borking' at 3k rpm, just wouldnt pull above this. anaged another 2 mile and it became undriveable, any attempt to accelerate in any gear just caused it to misfire and bork like mad. Had to get RAC out as I was still 8 mile from home and even he was stumped. It will idle and rev fine, oil pressure and level is spot on, coolant level and temp is spot on but as soon as any load is on the engine it just wont play ball. He suggested possibly the advance on the ignition wasnt working under load or something but after a few tests ruled it out. Trailered it home for m. I have now swapped AFM, TPS, dizzy assembly, spark plugs andleads, coil and changed a couple of suspect breather hoses. Also swapped the fuel rail, regulator and injectors. The fuel filter is new asis oil and filter. I set it up using colour tune and emissions tester, both of these read to be running spot on and sure enough it idles at a perfect 1k and revs cleanly although sometimes seems a tad hesitant. As soon as I test drove it the problem reoccured, borking slightly and flat as fart. Only thing Ive not done is a compresion test but RAC reckoned no way its rings due to oil and coolant etc. The head does sound a bit tickier than before and Ive suspected stem seals are going on it for a while. Is it possible ones totally failed and its allowing excess oil into chambers? Its not blowing loads of smoke or anything, maybe the odd whispy puff but not even enough to determine colour?

Really really need ideas on where to check next, its my daily drive and is needed ASAP.

Thanks

Richie

Deano1.6

did you fill up with fuel on your drive? my old 205 has this problem when i had half a tank of petrol and then i accidently stuck 10quids worth of diesel in.

newdean0

I think the one component you've missed out there is the ignition amp, this seems to fail quite often and is definately worth swapping.

j_turnell

Checked wires going to the ECU temp sensor and the sensor itself, had the same thing happen on a car turned out to be loose wires in the connector.

ronnie_gti

thought of replacing the ecu fella. i had a problem sounding like this whe my ecu half died.

Richie-Van-GTi

ecu temp sensor was tested by rac and found to be fine, Id filled up at shell 20 miles before it started happening and its definatley petrol. Ignition amp wasnt swapped though, I'll give that a try. hope its not ecu, I sold my spare one. Could it be a lazy fuel pump??

ronnie_gti

when my euc died, i replaced my afm, had the engine tuned, new sparkplugs and leads, oil change loads to try and work it out. then thought bout changing my ecu and it was that :angry:

get hold of a spare one, if not i got 2 1.6 ones (240, 78) and 1 1.9 gti euc sitting in my garage

jack biscuit

I've just had the same problem exactly the sqame symptoms.. and my car is now in pieces rebuilding head and doing gasket.. I couldn't find the cause before it went boom.. i tried changing ecu, after checking and changing everything else, to no avail.. except ignition amp.. the one thing i haven't oh and distributor, which i'll check when i get the lump back together..

Poor fuel quality bringing it on? but you bought shel... i dunno.. but i'd like more help and info on the matter..

dude you have two days to solve it, if my experience is anyhting to go by

Leaking compression somewhere? between two cylinders? enough go to idle and rev under no load, but not the welly to take a load..

PS i have a spare modded 1.9 ecu if your desperate..

Edited by jack biscuit

PumaRacing

Sounds like the fuel pump has died. You could try checking the pump output into a container.

Richie-Van-GTi

Just finished completing all my testing and its as I suspected, lazy pump. Takes ages to even get anything coming through and even then its a dribble. Hopefully I'll have a replacement by end of day so I'll let you know if it solves it.

Richie-Van-GTi

picked up a pump from a late 1.9, bit of a fiddle to fit as the wiring connectors were different but after a bit of bodge shes now alive and kicking again :(

jack biscuit

How much did you fork out for the pump chief, second hand?

And thank you for geting back to me again, you've done the hard work for me! ^_^

Bloody car's going to be brand new by the time i've finished it! :rolleyes:

Richie-Van-GTi

I got the pump for free, well had to give a friend a hand getting his sorrento gti home, it had no running gear, just a shell and engine. Was fun getting off the trailer, had a jcb to put it on and a lot of difficulty getting it off.

Sign in to follow this