Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Citroen Berlingo Gearbox

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

pug205rally

pug205rally
  • Drivers
  • 69 posts
Hi Chaps - done a search and can't find anything -

Have acquired a damaged Citroen Berlingo Van 1.9D - the gearbox looks like a BE3 am wondering if it is the same cos it looks like it could be an interesting experiment on my GTI

Anyone any thoughts or observations - experimented at all

Cheers
Simon

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,248 posts
  • Name:Graham
Garage View Garage
I think the Berlingo has the Be4 gearbox same as fitted to the 307 & newer Pug models which has a different clutch operating method but this can be worked around afaik.

A diesel gearbox on a GTi would be to long in the higher gears imo.

Graham.

pug205rally

pug205rally
  • Drivers
  • 69 posts

I think the Berlingo has the Be4 gearbox same as fitted to the 307 & newer Pug models which has a different clutch operating method but this can be worked around afaik.

A diesel gearbox on a GTi would be to long in the higher gears imo.

Graham.

Cheers for the reply - I was told and it may be total B***ks that the 1.9D has a BE3 and a 4.53 final drive hence the interest.

Can't find any details on t'web to back it up so hoping to find some wisdom on the forum.

Hilgie

Hilgie
  • Team Managers
  • 2,949 posts
Garage View Garage
Also...the 1.9D was probably a DW8 engine which sits a different angle (15 degrees instead of 30 degrees like the XU).
So you'd need to swap the bellhousing as well.

888rmb

888rmb
  • Drivers
  • 165 posts
I spoke to Andy Baker from AB Motorsport about Berlingo gearboxes. IIRC he said they were a BE3R (R for revised I think) gearbox and they had something like a 4.8 CWP but the CWP would not fit the BE3 gearbox without fitting the rest of the Berlingo ratios, which were not much good.

pug205rally

pug205rally
  • Drivers
  • 69 posts

I spoke to Andy Baker from AB Motorsport about Berlingo gearboxes. IIRC he said they were a BE3R (R for revised I think) gearbox and they had something like a 4.8 CWP but the CWP would not fit the BE3 gearbox without fitting the rest of the Berlingo ratios, which were not much good.

Thanks for the reply - had heard the same of the petrol engined box but had heard that it may have been possible with the diesel one hence the question - looks like I need to be wary before going any further.

Was hoping that I could find a cheap 4.53 or similar from a 1.9D Berlingo and drop it in. Am going to dig a bit further and try and find if anything from the range may work. Guess thats wy it's not been done before

Ratios for 1.9D look like had 1st 3.45 2nd 1.87 3rd 1.28 4th 0.95 5th 0.76

If I find anything useful will post -

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,248 posts
Garage View Garage

Ratios for 1.9D look like had 1st 3.45 2nd 1.87 3rd 1.28 4th 0.95 5th 0.76

Can you get a definate on what final drive is used in these gearboxes?

Those ratios are close to those fitted to the 205 GRD gearbox as listed on www.205gti.com, only difference being the final drive.

Graham.

pug205rally

pug205rally
  • Drivers
  • 69 posts

Can you get a definate on what final drive is used in these gearboxes?

Those ratios are close to those fitted to the 205 GRD gearbox as listed on www.205gti.com, only difference being the final drive.

Graham.

Hi ,

All I can find at the mo is this which has the gear ratio's

http://citro.1gb.ru/...GO_2cm40202.htm

The final drive info I got off a Citroen web site - can't find the link at the mo again. Anyone on here work for Citroen who could confirm at all ????????????

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,248 posts
Garage View Garage
Final drive is also on that webpage;

Engine & The main drive

[ XUD9]

[17 x 77][19 x 79]
[4.529][4.158]

Graham.

eob

eob
  • Drivers
  • 868 posts
Wow. Sounds like it won't work. This means, unfortunately, that your going to have to build a V6/T16/Mi16 Berlingo.

Unfortunte ;)

jonD6B

jonD6B
  • Drivers
  • 662 posts
The 1.9D had both the XU and the DW8 engine derivitives both from 1996 onwards iirc. The boxes have poor synchro's aswell from my experience. Nearly everyone I know with a Berlingo/Partner has crunching going into 2nd gear.