• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
max0

Brake Union Size And Type

max0

Hi, half way through doing a beam refurb and im going to need to replace the back copper pipes from the flexies to the back of the drum.

I also need need a few for the front for the MOT are these the same union sizes?

Could anyone tell me the length or the type of unions? As im thinking of ordering them from www.brake-pipe.co.uk

Thanks

Edited by max0

Wurzel

They are 10mm diameter by 1mm pitch. I'd get the longer threaded ones where possible so they don't bottom out when you tighten them up. The extra cost is minimal. I'm pretty sure they are the same on the master cylinder, calipers and joints. The only difference will be the one that goes into the compensator if you change these pipes.

On the 1.9, it is a 12mm x 1mm union which is a little unusual. It only has one of these, the other side is standard (prevents incorrect orientation).

If there is an engineering supplies place near you, try that first, they are usually cheaper

Edited by Wurzel

max0
They are 10mm diameter by 1mm pitch. I'd get the longer threaded ones where possible so they don't bottom out when you tighten them up. The extra cost is minimal. I'm pretty sure they are the same on the master cylinder, calipers and joints. The only difference will be the one that goes into the compensator if you change these pipes.

On the 1.9, it is a 12mm x 1mm union which is a little unusual. It only has one of these, the other side is standard (prevents incorrect orientation).

If there is an engineering supplies place near you, try that first, they are usually cheaper

Cheers Nick for all the help

futura

I am planning to buy a 25ft copper roll and unions to replace my brake lines on the 1.9L, but I don't know which diameter I should buy.

Wurzel you're saying that on one break compensator the union is bigger, but what about the line's diameter, is it the same diameter all around the braking system?

Also is it realistic to re-use the unions on the car?

Edited by futura

Guest rick03054

All the lines are the same diameter 3/16" , it's just the union on one side of the compensator that's different.

It's possible to reuse the unions but best to get newones, they're cheap enough. I think it's 18 M10X1 and 2 M12X1 you need.

futura

Thanks for the info you anticipated my next question :)

When you say 18 M10X1 and 2 M12X1, is it 9 male and 9 female M10X1, plus two male M12X1 ?

Edited by futura

Guest rick03054

No, sorry should have pointed that out, they're all male.

The female parts are on the MC, compensators, flexis and calipers.

futura

Ok thanks. Anyone on here who wants to sell their cutting & flaring tools before I go and buy one?

Guest rick03054

I've got a flaring kit if your interested. I'll pm you.

Sign in to follow this