• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSL 333

Rear Beam - Is This A Good Deal?

Guest TSL 333

Right, my 1.6 GTI (drums) needs a new rear beam. A local guy is wanting about £100 for one he has. The history is he paid £140 recently for his pug and then sold his pug so has the spare beam.

He claims the beam is in good condition. I asked the condition of the master brake cylinder and brake shoes/ drums etc and he said he did not know as he has not had the drums off.

If it is all good, then I can simply swap the rear beams over which sounds quite easy. This will save me the cost and hassle of refurbishing etc. :blink:

How can I tell if is OK if it is off the car?

So, should I go for it? Mine is totally fecked!!!

Edited by TSL 333

tagy

nope, doesn't sound a very good deal to me, unless it is known to have been refurbed recently.

It may be better than yours and buy you some time but it seems alot. I'd offer him £50 unles its had a refurb

888rmb

With the beam off the car you can check that it has not seized up by standing on each trailing arm in turn and checking that they still move freely. It is more difficult to see how much camber there is on the beam though, you could check the amount of gap between the beam tube and the trailing arm, but it is not conclusive.

The only real way to check the beam is good is by stripping it down and having a look yourself. You could say to the guy that you'll pay him only when you know it is good.

£100 is expensive for a beam that you don't know the condition of. I'd assume the worst really.

Daxed

Just a personal opinion but i also wouldn't go ahead with a beam of unknown history. That price could be spent on refurbing a beam yourself, or double it and get one done for you.

mi16nut

Unless you have clear evidence of a full rerurb from a trusted source, consider all beams to be knackered.

I paid £160 to someone on here two years ago for a "guaranteed low mileage, definitely doesn't need a refurb" beam. It lasted less than five months/ 2000 miles; or over £1 a day! I was much greener then.

Offer him less than £50 if it appears OK, then get it refurbed. That's what I did at the fourth attempt. :blink:

Mark.

Guest TSL 333
Unless you have clear evidence of a full rerurb from a trusted source, consider all beams to be knackered.

I paid £160 to someone on here two years ago for a "guaranteed low mileage, definitely doesn't need a refurb" beam. It lasted less than five months/ 2000 miles; or over £1 a day! I was much greener then.

Offer him less than £50 if it appears OK, then get it refurbed. That's what I did at the fourth attempt. :blink:

Mark.

Glad I posted - I've offered him £50 - will let you know how I get on.

Sign in to follow this