• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Miles

Why Not To Use Exhaust Wrap

Miles

After Tim being told that the gasket had gone, I set about replacing it and mearly noticed that the manifold flanged were not flat so not allowing a good seal, So either some machine work or new manifold would be needed, The old one was covered in exhaust wrap and hiding all the nasties which I found when replacing it, Allot of wrap and exhaust paste was found,

But the thing I've now found out that wrapping the manifold causes scaleing of the metal, Just like sunburn to a extent :unsure: , So for any road car's out there I wouldn't use the stuff anymore, Live and learn as they say, But for Race or Pure Track cars as these get allot better maintenace (Hopefully) it's fine

pug_ham

Thats pretty shocking, I take it the wrap was holding moisture against the manifold causing that damge which would be otherwise hidden by it.

Graham.

Mandic

wow, looks nasty,

What about aftermarket manifolds? They are made form SS which shouldn't rust that much or at all.

Cheers

Ziga

pugrallye

yeah manifold wrap is bad on road cars especially those us who live in less clement parts of the country where wet weather and road salt are more commonplace, but to crack the manifold, they obviously wernt designed to retain the heat that the wrap enforces if you are that much in need of keeping heat out engine bay, should look into ceramic coating

Edited by pugrallye

TEKNOPUG

It's only really gonna be suitable for high quality SS manifolds and such like. It'll trash lower quality metals in no time - which is a shame.

Fuqa

you would of thought due to the temperatures that a manifold reaches, moisture wouldnt be a problem

Rippthrough
you would of thought due to the temperatures that a manifold reaches, moisture wouldnt be a problem

It is if it keeps it in as steam. The temperature just accelerates the problem.

You really need to leave an air gap to stop the problem.

Dj_mini

Was the wrap put on correctly with just 5mm or so overlap?

tom_m

what if you painted it with high temp paint, or ceramic stuff first?

Miles

It was one of those things that my Exhaust man was talking about to me and then I found Tim's like it, It's just the way the metal react's to the wrap even if wraped correctly, He doesn't cover them with warranty if they have been wraped up.

Not 100% sure why on the teccy side, But when I see him next I'll add a reply in this post

205freak

why do you think that happen to the manifold, is it because of your weather there????

I was going to buy, some exhaust wrap for my manifold, but now i´m having second thoughts...

petert
why do you think that happen to the manifold, is it because of your weather there????

most likely salt on the roads. The underneath of most UK cars look like they're driven on the beach!

Miles

Anyone would think our weather is cr*p here, lol

TaffyTim

Wow, these are the first pics Ive seen of my old manifold, and that is quite frankly shocking.

I was told by the seller that it was just old gaskets used when he put the manifold on which made the car noisey!!

With the new manifold from Miles the car is as quiet as a mouse and the mother-in-law no longer gives me a disaproving look when i drive up her street :)

dee205

The wrap holding the heat in the manifold has a lot to do with the state of it aswell.

Damien

engine killer

my ex Magnex manifold (for XU9J) and the current 4-2-1 manifold (stainless steel custom made for XU9J4) have no such problem at all. the wrapped Magnex was fine for over 6 years and i guess it is still fine in others hand. the Mi one has been wrapped since the first day of use and is still fine after 4 years.

Sign in to follow this