• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Higgy

Changing Driveshaft Gaiters

Higgy

Hi,

I changed the gaiter by the intermediate bearing on the drivers side drivershaft yesterday.

A bought a stretchy gaiter from Parco for just under £6 (another place wanted £13!!) and as everyone I tried did not sell the 'cone' I used a greased up Ribena drink bottle to slide the gaiter over the 'spider' bearings.

It worked a treat. And I got to have a nice drink at the same time!!

The worse bit was tightening the metal clips.

Higgy.

Jer309GTi

What size Ribena bottle was it? 1Ltr?

Ahl

Nice going! :)

I've given up on those metal clips and use cable ties instead. You can never get the metal one tight enough.

Higgy
What size Ribena bottle was it? 1Ltr?

Yep a 1ltr one.

I might start selling them on ebay :)

inferno
Yep a 1ltr one.

I might start selling them on ebay :P

quality... yet another product will ebay at twice its RRP!

pugrallye

whats the problem with metal clips?? they are easy to tighten up??

Ahl

Maybe its the ones I get with Bailcast CV boots. They're kinda like cable ties in the way they tighten but I can never get them tight enough.

Beastie

I know exactly what you are talking about there, Ahl - I really like the "proper" metal clips but I got some of the other type supplied with genuine boot for a Felicia recently. I'm bu**ed if I could get them tightened to my satisfaction either so I ended up using cable ties too.

DaveW

Are cable ties good enough to use on a cv boot? Higgy you will have to show us the power of the bottle :P

16v205

Ill be the flash git then as ive just bought a tool for tightening them metal ties that come with the boots :P

I got fed up never getting them tight enough, and always used cable ties. Ive now got 6 boots, so 12 ties to replace in one go. Its quite sad but im looking forward to seeing if it works lol

Rich

pugrallye

oohhh the ligarex ones, yes they can be a pain without the tool, the normal metal ties you get with aftermarket boots are nice and easy though

Sign in to follow this