• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Higgy

Just Fitted Mi & Its Idling At 3k?

Higgy

Hi,

I just fitted my spare Mi engine and its hunting to 3k. I am using the old engine's:

ECU & loom

Idle control valve

Air Flow Meter

Basically all electronics apart from coil & throttle position switch.

So, I can only think that either there is oil etc that need burning off (but the first engine did not hunt this long from memory after re-build) or the throttle position switch or the throttle/butterflys are not set-up correctly.

Any ideas guys? I dont like letting it 'idle' at 3k with cold oil to see if its just deposits needing to burn off.

Apart from the high idle it sounds sweet :)

Thanks,

Higgy.

inferno

TPS is an obviouse first point to try. other than that, check and recheck all plugs as they may be damaged during engine swap, sticky throttle maybe? or even clean out the ISCV.

good luck with it :)

i once had this problem on my mi16 zx thinking about it, that was a TPS

Edited by inferno

Dino

Check the throttle position switch.

I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be that :)

Higgy
Check the throttle position switch.

I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be that :)

Right, I'll look at position switch tomorrow.

I've tried the spare ISCV and same high idle. I'll check the plugs also.

Will post results after fiddle with TPS tomorrow morning.

Cheers.

pugrallye

Does it have a throttle switch or a potentiometer? If its got a pot it might be sticking, or what about throttle cable catching/too tight?

Edited by pugrallye

jim21070

Air leaks anywhere downstream of the AFM?

KRISKARRERA

Have you done anything to the throttlebody?

Higgy
Have you done anything to the throttlebody?

Right, I checked the TPS and I thought this was the fault as I could not hear microswitch and resistance was infinity. But it still idled high. I also changed plugs and it still idled high.

So I took the throttle body off and swapped it with my old one. (Did you know there were two? The 1989 engine had a Webber & the 1990 had something like ACO. Will post pics of differences later this weekend).

Anyhow, after changing the throttlebody over it ran fine. There was also a lot of oil in the old body and it started to get into the plenum?

So, I've been for a drive and the engine seems fine. I thought it was a bit noisy top end, I think its injectors . Driving in the car it is quieter than the first engine!

The PAS rack I fitted (- ram) works well, you can notice that you dont have to keep turning the wheel in on roundabouts + junctions <_<

The GTi-6 brakes I fitted also seem to be working well, with a dab of left foot braking to clear the rust off the discs the seatbelt webbing nearly cut through my shoulder. Still a load of air in the system I think. I changed the brake lines so loads of air got in.

Just got to take it easy (upto 4K rpm) for the next 500 miles :lol:

Higgy.

Bonzai

when people say "adjust the TPS".... adjust it how exactly?

since swapping my Mi from James's car to mine ive been experiencing the 3000rpm idle and the only way iove found to get rid of it is by blipping the throttle well over 5k which i hate doing and i know i shouldnt, but if i dont, the car is absolutely undriveable... :S once itss settled down though its fine, until the next time it starts up regardless of being hot or cold.

we didnt remove the inlet manifold, tb etc or fiddle with it when doing the engine swap, but my mate did tinker with something (i think it was the throttle stop - whichever screw it is on the Mi t/:( a few weeks ago and this is when it all started really

help please, before i kill the engine :|

cybernck
when people say "adjust the TPS".... adjust it how exactly?

undo the two hex-head bolts holding it to the throttle body, rotate it on the spindle until you can hear it click

immediately after the throttle butterfly starts rotating and do the bolts up again (but try not to break them off!).

that's it... if that doesn't help, maybe it's a sticky one (not allowing the TB to shut close) so try another one.

hope this helps.

Bonzai

ok i havent tried adjusting the TPS, but only because when i checked it i could hear it clicking within a few minutes of a degree of rotation, was like a fine hair trigger. I assumed this was how it was meant to be, and the fact that it hadnt, or atleast shouldnt have been disturbed before during or after the engine swap

Sign in to follow this