• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Diff Between An Lsd And A Atb

driversdomainuk

Hi

Please can anyone tell me the diff (no pun intended :) ) between an LSD and an ATB (i.e a Quaif jobbie) - if there is one!

Which is the best suited for hillclimbing..?

Thanks

Edited by driversdomainuk

Ryan

An ATB is a type of LSD, but there are others too - viscous, and plate being the most common.

boombang

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

Is there anything this site can't help you with>? Has saved me typing a load of stuff here :)

Doesn't really tell you which is best for hillclimbing though but I may be tempted with a plate diff set on a looseish setting.

At Prescott Hill in a 309 Mi with Quaiffe, I was lifting a front wheel. To me it felt fine, but apparently an ATB will never put all the torque to the wheel in contact with the ground where as a plate will put a lot more down.

Personally I've gone for an ATB in the current rallycar build as weight isn't an issue, its very gentle on the transmission components and is very much fit and forget.

Plate ones if set too tight can cause shockwaves through tranny system, break driveshafts and generally feel horrible to drive.

James_R

for competition use, power steering and a 90% plate diff.

in theory a plate diff is quciker acting as it doens't need to wind up like a ATB, but in feel on the road, can't say you notice much difference.

Another thin as mentioned is a ATB is no longer acting as an LSD if you lift a wheel, as it needs both wheels on the ground to be effective. so if you snap a shaft, it means no drive, partly why rally boys use plate set up, at least they can finish the stage.

driversdomainuk
for competition use, power steering and a 90% plate diff.

in theory a plate diff is quciker acting as it doens't need to wind up like a ATB, but in feel on the road, can't say you notice much difference.

Another thin as mentioned is a ATB is no longer acting as an LSD if you lift a wheel, as it needs both wheels on the ground to be effective. so if you snap a shaft, it means no drive, partly why rally boys use plate set up, at least they can finish the stage.

Thanks - who would sell a plate type LSD? are they much more than an Quaife? Can you specify/how do you specify plate (80% - 90% etc)

thanks

SimonJ

Tran-x were very helpful (chap called Dan) when I was buying mine. There are several settings and they were able to recommend the best for my application.

I fact I found the email:

Dear Simon,

Our Peugeot LSD has a retail price of 530.00 + VAT. The LSD can be set up in

a number of different ways. There are two ramp anlges available 30/60 and

45/45. The plates can also be configured in two different settings fully

interlevered or light weight spec.

For your form of motorsport we would recommend that the differential is set

up wtih a 30/60 degree ramp angle and a light weight spec plate

configuration. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate in

contacting me.

Kind Regards

Dan Jones

Might be dearer by now - that was in 2003 I think.

Edited by SimonJ

TT205

And the difference between fully interlevered or light weight spec is? .....

Miles

A mate of mine is selling a brand new Tran 'X' Diff complete with mounting bolts, PM me if intrested.

But for any type of full time compettion driving a Plate wins every time, Lighter as well, but does need maintenance but if hill climbing it should last for years.

Guest Fangoria

i've got a tran x diff in my road rally car but its set at 40% not 90, makes the car easier to drive cos in the lanes 90% makes the car snatchy

saveloy

No. Due to it's design it won't transfer any drive with one wheel off the ground.

The Quaife is a torque sensing diff. With no torque to sense, there is no drive.

veloce200
No. Due to it's design it won't transfer any drive with one wheel off the ground.

The Quaife is a torque sensing diff. With no torque to sense, there is no drive.

I stand corrected - obviously a viscous ( :blush: ) rumour to increase quaife sales at the expense of plate diffs!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this