• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jacobs53

Pictures Of The Ew Engine Strip Down.

jacobs53

Started to stripdown the engine today, to be honest I was impressed with the engine as a whole.

It has massive oil return holes in the head and block, so a reduced chance of oil surge. (check out the pictures!)

The exhaust valve stems are 6mm all through and then undercut to 5mm at the base of the valve, the exhaust are the same too.

The engine block is aluminum, but the liners are not removable, and are part of the bottom end design

The crankshaft bearings are located in a cradle rather than a single bearing. (similar to TU design)

The oil pump has changed from postive displacment type (Xu) to a integral design, same as rover and ford.

The crankshaft is 88m stroke and has all the counterweights etc.. (The main journals are the same so might be a good crank for replacing worn mi16 cranks)

The exhaust camshaft has a position sensor, so this limits using different cams, esp. GTi6.

Hopefully tomorrow the engine will be completly apart and I can start measuring the cam timing etc..

Pictures are here.... clicky!

cheers lee

B1ack_Mi16

Interesting, wonder how much overbore it can handle :)

RossD

Odd shape on the 4th exhaust port there, I wonder if it adversly effects flow, seeing as the others are a more uniform shape!?

jacobs53

its some kind of gas recirculation, but not sure why its there as of yet. Going to weld that cavity up, which hopefully should improve flow.

lee

madmat

Wouldnt it be nice to find an MI16 engine in such a clean condition,is this the shape of things to come with regards to transplants?

pee vee

what car is this engine from? :D

looks good by the way!

Sandy

Apart from sorting a decent exhaust manifold out, could be a good one to use. Cam ladders look spookily similar to late XU 16v. IIRC from when Base-1 stripped one down, the rods looked a bit feeble.

jacobs53

I have completly stripped it down now. And the bottom end especially the conrods are well designed! The big eng bolts are not like the Xu ones, the EW uses a simialr design to high performance rods, where the bolt actually threads into the rod.

The GTI 180 inlet and exhaust bolt straight on and according to the Ryton lads adds around 20bhp standard without mods. A set of cams are available from Kent which give the engine around 190bhp with all the mods. I think its a very well deisgned engine, which is very strong. But I believe the engine sits at 15 degrees rather than the 30 degrees of the Xu lumps, so i doubt it would be a straight forward conversion.

Il get some pictures tomorrow of everything. The valves are extremely light, il measure! anyone need any specific infor or pictures?

lee

niklas

We wouldn't mind some pics on the engine internals too :P

(Rods, pistons, crankshaft etc)

pugrallye

engine is fitted to late model 406's amognst others, and yes you will have an EGR pipe flange on the manifold to meet with Z rating emissions control

Edited by pugrallye

welshpug

too late now but you could weigh the complete engine minus manifolds? another stat for the weights thread :P

jacobs53

hi hilgie, I just had a look at your picture album and noticed you have put this engine in a 205. Was the conversion hard?

I also noticed you changed the Be4 gears for the Be3 gears, did you change the main casing to Be3 though or left the Be4 in place?

Il get them pictures tomorrow, I compeltly forgot on Friday

lee

Hilgie

Quite a hard conversion as the engine sits under a 15 degree angle instead of the XUs 30 degree angle. Because of that the BE3/4 box uses a different flywheelhousing to compensate this.

We mated a 206GTi BE4 flywheelhousing to a BX BE3 gearbox. Easier would have been just to use a 206GTi gearbox (which bolts straight in), but we did not have that at the time.

The driversside enginemount has been extensively modifed and the bottom end mount (the fork) has been shortened.

We used a longer clutch cable and used the cablesystem from a 406 instead of rods to change gear.

Hilgie
Odd shape on the 4th exhaust port there, I wonder if it adversly effects flow, seeing as the others are a more uniform shape!?

It is the inlet for the EGR valve. Damn environmental stuff....remove if possible :)

This engine can be found in:

Peugeot 206GTi, 307, 406, 407, 607

Citroens C4, C5

The engine is 85mm bore x 88mm stroke.

There is also a 2.2-16V version, which has 88mm bore and 96mm stroke. It is possible to fit this crank into an XU engine :P .

jacobs53

hi hilgie, sounds like a good conversion IMO, i mean you can get these engines which have covered bugger all miles aswell! Did you retain the original ecu and wiring?

I have been thinking recently about buying a 180 engine, removing the vvc sprocket from the inlet and using a vernier to switch to non-vvc. Apaerently if you set the inlet cam fully advanced (when high revving) the idle might become slightly rough, but you will obtain all the 180bhp of the engine! If you think logically then you can remove all the vvc loom and replace with either a mappable ecu or if your a cheap skate like me the 137bhp loom and ecu (not sure that this will provide enough fueling though) and youu whould have a combination of a good conversion which is fast and light!

Or piper do custom cams which take power to 225bhp, at 8000rpm, but this is OTT in FWD!

lee

pugrallye

you also have to get round the cable change if using original box....

jacobs53

you'd most likely have to retain the cbale change, as the exhaust manifold is very similar to the gti-6 manifold, spagetti junction! Thats the reason the 206 uses cables, where the 137bhp 206 uses solid gearchange as the 205.

So worst case you would have to fit the 406 gearchange mech which is also cable shift.

lee

B1ack_Mi16
There is also a 2.2-16V version, which has 88mm bore and 96mm stroke. It is possible to fit this crank into an XU engine :angry: .

It must be 85mm bore and 96mm stroke, that's 2179cc and seem right for a 2.2.

88 x 96 --> 2335cc.. (me would like!!) :)

Hilgie

Kristian you are right. Typo from my side...

88x96 seems fun yeah. Me like too :)

@Jacobs: yeah you can use both 206GTi180 cables or 406 cables. Both use the same BE4 gearbox.

A standard GTi180 engine with (like you said) the inlet vernier locked and programmable ECU will see 200bhp with probs or further modifications.

This guy has done so (using a 206gti180 for autocross):

206gti180_cross.jpg

Sign in to follow this