• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smighall

Gti6 Rev Counter

smighall

I'm trying to sort out my wiring loom now i know everything works, so am going to need the diodes to wire in the rev counter to my gti6 engine.

The diodes you need are 4 x 1N4004 and 1 x 1N4744

Loads of places have the 1N4004 diodes but can't find anywhere that sells the other unless you buy a bag of 100 as they are special order! Funnily enough there's no need for a 100 of the little blighters, so does anybody know where i can get them preferably off the shelf?

Thanks

Sean

welshpug

tried Maplin or RS?

smighall

Haven't check maplin actually. RS are special order so have to buy at least 100 :D

smighall
Not exactly off the shelf, but this is what your after matey. Cheap to, though not sure what the carriage is.

Yes, they're the ones, but i'm trying to find somewhere that i can get for the weekend with any luck.

Just checked maplin and they don't have the 4744

ada205
Yes, they're the ones, but i'm trying to find somewhere that i can get for the weekend with any luck.

Just checked maplin and they don't have the 4744

Tricky!

Could'nt you just use another zener? Their usually just used to regulate voltage, so as long as it's 15v and rated as high or higher for current, cant see why any zener would'nt do the trick unless this type of diode has a particularly low tolerance. Anyone know?

Good luck mate.

Edited by ada205

Dixon

Do you think you could post up the circuit layout that you are using please mate as I've not got my rev counter working in my gti6 205 either.

Would be great to get that working before I go to cadwell in a month.

And is it just a case of converting the one signal wire from the ecu to wire that currently goes in to the back of the 205 rev counter?

Cheers.

jonnie205

The ecu tacho signal out of the 306 ecu is no good and is not used. You will need to tap into all 4 coil wires with diodes then you can run this into the 205 dash using the 205 wire

cybernck

is the only thing that this does is "merge" signal from 4 coils as if they were one firing at 4x the rate? :D

smighall
is the only thing that this does is "merge" signal from 4 coils as if they were one firing at 4x the rate? :D

I assume so, but not 100%

Dixon
The ecu tacho signal out of the 306 ecu is no good and is not used. You will need to tap into all 4 coil wires with diodes then you can run this into the 205 dash using the 205 wire
This is the diagram:

Brillaint, thanks guys.

I'm assuming that a diode needs to go on each of the 4 coils but the diagram only shows 2 for diagramatic purposes?

And is it quite obvious which is the -ve wire when you get in there?

Edited by Dixon

maxi

The ECU tacho output can be used and Matt @ QEP sells a convertor box that will convert the signal for the 205 rev counter, its cheap too!

Maxi

Garry
The ECU tacho output can be used and Matt @ QEP sells a convertor box that will convert the signal for the 205 rev counter, its cheap too!

Maxi

I have a converter box from pug performance, it was ridiculously expensive due to usual massive mark up, but it works! I would say its the same thing as the one maxi mentioned.

Before they discovered the 'Magic boxes' they tried running the rev counter from the coil packs but would only read at half revs, something to do with the firing order... :(

I find it much easier to drive it hard with the rev counter than just doing it by ear.

Dixon - I will be at cadwell on the 3rd too, so you can have a look then.

Sign in to follow this