• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Baz

1.6 Or 1.9 Camshaft For 1.9 Rebuild?

Baz

Remember there being some talk of the standard 1.6 and 1.9 cams being different lift/duration. Have tried searching for a while now to no avail!!

We are rebuilding a 1.9 at the moment to a mild spec, L&B bottom end, some cleaning up of ports/matching etc, wondered whether there would be any benefit of using a 1.6 cam in the head rather than the lazier 1.9 item?

Eventually i think the owner is planning a more lairy cam for it aswel as management etc but for now would like to know whether to stick with a 1.9 item or perhaps given the probable more revvy nature could be more beneficial to go for a 1.6 cam. Any thoughts?

Would anyone have the figures for lift and duration for each?

Cheers.

welshpug

its not the cam but the bottom end and head itself that giver the lazier feel to the engine.

cam specs varied quite a bit so it depends what you've got access to as well.

welshpug

found some numbers i'd posted on PSOOC

Lift 11.5 mm

Nominal clearance 1.0 mm

Inlet opens 11 30' BTDC

closes 43 ABDC

Exhaust opens 46 BBDC

closes 2 ATDC

STD 1.9 cam.

welshpug

oh, and for the 1.6

cam lift 11.5mm

inlet opens 8 BTDC

Inlet closes 42 ABDC

exh opens 40 30' BBDC

exh closes 2 30' ATDC

(from early 87 on, as in 115bhp engines

Edited by welshpug

24seven

Are there any distinguishing markings that will identify the different camshafts? I've bought a spare head from a scrapyard and the cams in it look pointier than the ones in the head I've just rebuilt and refitted.

j_turnell

The earlier 1.6 cams has chamferd edges whereas the 1.9 doesnt and tend to wear. Later on from 91' onwards this changed to the same appearance to the 1.9 cam. Take it you dont know any info on the car the head was off?

mfield
Eventually i think the owner is planning a more lairy cam for it aswel as management

Might well be worth uprating the valve gear now while the heads off e.g. springs, Iirc puma racing's upgrade seems well priced ?

The head might well need some machining for the lobes of a lairy cam, aswell cr needs to be thought about ?

Dazza

As mentioned i would stick with the 1.9 set-up as your not going to feel any difference what so ever on the road beteen the two cam's .

They do begin to die off in comparison to a higher torque spec cam from 4k .

I would advise you to skim 28 thou of the head and fit a Piper BP 270 cam in it ,(ive a near new one For sale)

On the rollers you'll see the difference from 4 K if you can fuel it correctly on the injection ,however youll not get the best from it with out 45's .

If you get it right its a great performer , you might see an extra 10- 15 bhp circa 115 from a standard 100 at the wheels ?

EG my car's figures at the WHEELS ;

106 bhp at 4K

120 bhp at 5K

140 bhp at 6k

holds to 6800 rpm's before dropping .

Given a 20% drag loss from the gear box thats circa 165/170 bhp at the flywheel ?

Dazza

Edited by Dazza

Baz

Thanks all for the replies, and the figures Welshpug, food for thought! :D

The earlier 1.6 cams has chamferd edges whereas the 1.9 doesnt and tend to wear. Later on from 91' onwards this changed to the same appearance to the 1.9 cam. Take it you dont know any info on the car the head was off?

The head is from an H plate 1.9, so '90/'91, and the choice of cams is from the same car or a '91 1.6, but as said, and looking at the figures, i'm not sure it will make a noticeable difference anyhow.

Might well be worth uprating the valve gear now while the heads off e.g. springs, Iirc puma racing's upgrade seems well priced ?

The head might well need some machining for the lobes of a lairy cam, aswell cr needs to be thought about ?

Would definately make sense wouldn't it Mark, especially to skim the head now before it goes back together, and i have mentionned to the owner, but not sure he fully understands why and how it could benefit him later with his planned mods, or he just doesn't wanna spend alot more than he already has!! :blink:

Cheers. :)

RobMGti

Personally i wouldnt fit a 270 cam if someone paid me :s been there, got the T-shirt, waste of space.

For the time being keep a 1.9 cam in. Address issues when he wants to upgrade :blink:

Sign in to follow this