Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[project] 205 Mi32 Project - The Twin Mi16 Engined 205

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
Posted Image

well, it was about time i started a radical project really ;).

the project is now well under way, but i've really not had any spare time to properly post about it,
but now the time has come and i will quickly bring you back up to spec as the cold weather is not
really allowing for any serious work to be carried on the car anymore. i am going to present the
work in a few seperate phases as it has been / will be done in.

i am not going to hide "the juicy details" and things that have had a lot of mental energy put into, in order
to make it harder for other people to replicate. instead, i'm going to show every single documented step
to inspire and make it easier for anyone interested in doing the same type of project in the future!

first a little bit of background - the car started life as a 1987 205 1.6 GTI, my father bought it in 1997
after years and years of us daydreaming of having a 205 GTI one day :lol:. after a while when we got
used to the performance, we were sad it was only a 1.6 and not a stronger 1.9. but since i bought a 1.9
to replace my 1.6 (that we also got in 1998 or 1999) and after seeing a dutch story on Mi16 conversion,
we sat our heart on the Mi16. we had finally found a good engine and did the swap in the late 2000 (iirc).

the next logical step was to start using the car properly, which meant stripping it out, installing a custom
roll cage in, upgrading the brakes to the large 283mm Xsara VTS setup, replacing 205's suspension with
a complete set of 309 GTI's and only making a short gearbox with custom ratios. father then started
racing in hillclimb and trackracing championship as well as autoslaloms in 2002.

to cut the story short, after several years of actively participating in nearly every race and wining quite
a few trophies, that excercise had to come to the end, in 2005. we were left with a car that had seen
better days and needed a lot of work to be brought back up to it's former glory.

at the same time, the local StreetRace (drag racing) scene had started actively developing and got our
attention, so after some (read: a lot!) of thoughts and discussion, we came to a conclusion that our
205 Mi16 would be a perfect candidate... for something radical! it came down to an idea i've had about
5 years ago - the twin engine setup! back then it sounded really stupid and impossible and made me think
Turbo + 4wd was the way to go (hence why i got my 405 T16) but in early 2006 we started thinking about
the twin engine conversion very seriously!

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
Phase 1: Rear End Reconstruction

it took us a few months to carefully think of all the aspects of this conversion. apart from the obvious
conclusion that it's a massive amount of work, what was worrying us the most was would it work correctly
at all, as we had heard various stories. however, since over the years a few twin-engined cars had been
successfully construced in various parts of the world, ours would have to work ok too.

then we decided to check if it's actually possible to perform such a conversion on the little 205, so we took
lots of measurements, but most importantly - i created this concept by stitching several images (to get as
linear view as possible) and copying the front engine and suspension to the rear, while also try to visualize
the other elements, such as backboxes:

Posted Image

this showed us that, although it would be a tight squeeze, it would be possible to do it.

then we spent some time thinking of what's the best way to do it in terms of rear end construction.
after carefully examining pics of all the twin engine conversions we could find on the web, looking at the
good ideas and also mistakes other people had done, the two main options we ended up were a completely
new half-spaceframed rear end or a front end of another 205 insterted into the rear of our's, each with it's
positive and negative points:

- spaceframe would be easier to construct as we could do it exactly the way it suits us. but we'd also had
to get all the suspension and engine mounting exactly right.

- on the other hand, front end solution would be a lot trickier to carry through and strengthen, but all the
said mounting are there and ready to be used, plug & play.

in the end we decided on the later option purely as it would be a pretty much OE-looking solution.

from then on it was all systems go and luckily a local scrappy had just got a mint 205 XS in for breaking
very soon after. too soon though as we were yet to arrange where / by whom to get the welding work done!
the front end was promply chopped off and paid for though and about a month later it was time to get it
transported to the welder's place along with the car.

Posted Image

we've had a few moments to rethink the whole situation and limit the damage, but we decided to stay on course :lol:.

the process shall begin!

to follow the story, go to the 205 Mi32 Phase 1 Gallery where i've just uploaded 50 pics (for now, soon to upload more),
with descriptions that form a nice story. it's now up to the point where the 205 looses it's shopping cargo abillity :D.

Posted Image

stay tuned ;).

Hilgie

Hilgie
  • Team Managers
  • 2,951 posts
  • Name:Hilgert Bos
Garage View Garage
Very cool project!!! Well done :lol:

huxley309

huxley309
  • Drivers
  • 1,252 posts
Ooh nice, wonder how the front end will fit, this would be perfect for a 309 with it's ample bootspace

Damn it's tempting, ive been itching to get my hands dirty after finding the mi16 conversion a doddle

Most definetly keep us posted and good luck :lol:

Edited by huxley309, 08 November 2006 - 08:33 AM.

Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie
  • Veterans
  • 5,307 posts
:lol:, can't believe your chopping upi YOUR 205... I suppose that's comitment for you and well done for giving something crazy a go!

Alastairh

Alastairh
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,897 posts
  • Name:Alastair
Nice one mate. Keep up the work :lol:

James_m

James_m
  • Drivers
  • 886 posts
Such a big project to undertake :thumbsupsmiliewedonthave: good luck with it!
And cool logo/avatar :lol:

tom_m

tom_m
  • Drivers
  • 3,428 posts
  • Name:.
mmm 320bhp and all wheel drive, sounds like fun! ;) :lol:

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,401 posts
  • Name:Graham
Garage View Garage
Nice one, you kept this quiet.

I'm just waiting for the "Fit phase2 rear lights" though.;) :lol:

It'll certainly be an interesting project, are you going to use the XS front bulkhead as the rear panel on the project?

Graham.

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts
  • Name:Richard
I can't wait to see this one progress. I like the fact you've got started before letting anyone in on the project, no banding the idea about for a months. You are straight in with " look at the big hole in the back of my 205" :lol:

I hope it goes well, excellent stuff. ;)

Rich

NOsMAN

NOsMAN
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,122 posts
Garage View Garage
Looking great ;) The speed you working at it will be done by next week :lol:

tom_m

tom_m
  • Drivers
  • 3,428 posts
  • Name:.

lots of lovely cactus's

*cacti*

*unless you meant posessive, in which case cactus' *

*and cactus' what?*

:lol:

Martin@PRD

Martin@PRD
  • Banned
  • 757 posts
Yay! Fanstatic! Im so Glad someone else is looking further past ther own nose, about time there is some serious peugeots being modified.

Loads of questions

I take it this wide arch Kit I'm supplying you is for this project?

Are you going to go with cable operated Gearlinkages?

Where are you planning to install the raditors and Fuel tank?

Hope you like welding!

All the best

sonofsam

sonofsam
  • Veterans
  • 3,104 posts
WOW! This is going to be class :lol: And a very impressive Title you have there ;)

Hope all goes well :D

findlay

findlay
  • Drivers
  • 1,260 posts
Cool ;) I'll keep an eye on this one :lol:

Baz

Baz
  • Drivers.
  • 10,300 posts
  • Name:באז
Oooh!! Proper project!! Good work!! :D

Paintguy

Paintguy
  • Veterans+
  • 2,248 posts
  • Name:Andy Taylor
Wow!

Impressive start, and an ambitious project. The best of luck with it, and keep the updates rolling in :D

Edp

Edp
  • Drivers+
  • 3,148 posts
Garage View Garage
f***stick that looks impressive, a proper project!

like said keep us updated with plenty of decent pictures!

Henry Yorke

Henry Yorke
  • Team Managers
  • 4,527 posts
  • Name:err.. Henry Yorke
Garage View Garage

I like the fact you've got started before letting anyone in on the project, no banding the idea about for a months.

Im so Glad someone else is looking further past ther own nose, about time there is some serious peugeots being modified.

Couldn't agree with the quotes any more! Just when things were getting stagnent, out pops Nik with the angle grinder! We just have to get it to Santa Pod to run against Martin's car when finished!

huckleberry

huckleberry
  • Drivers
  • 807 posts
I didn't know they started building 206s in 1987 already in Banja Luca ;)

Very nice project! :D

Tim