• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

Earthing Points

Batfink

I have a 205 gentry and it occasionally decides to stop working - ignition on but engine will not turn - all engine electrics seem dead. . Wait roughly 45 mins and all is well again

My brother broke down the other day and said when it started the indicators didnt work properly - then they worked a few minutes later.

I'm likely to be commuting 120miles a day for a month and I need to try to make the thing reliable.

Where are the earthing points so I can clean them all and fingers crossed have a reliable drive to work

kyepan

i'd also like to know this :P

pic's might be a great help :D

Powers

The indicator ones are located to the left of the right one and to the right of the left one. The other ones are on the gearbox housing (The top) and also on the chassis leg below the expansion tank, (Usually just behind the ignition amp, but this depends on the model!)

I can email you pictures of all the locations if you want, as i have just finished wiring in the chassis loom on my project car!

Cheers.

Batfink

Powers has sent me the pictures :)

in glorious technicolor...............

P1010027.JPG

P1010028.JPG

P1010029.JPG

P1010030.JPG

Edited by Batfink

Powers

Please note, these are not from my project car (as they are in different locations!) but from a run down 1.9gti i have sat on my drive!

Also note that the earth location points that will cause a 205 ignition to stop working are the ones near the coil(3rd one down) and the one on the gearbox (4th one). The other two are just for the auxilaries, horn, lights etc.

A very important point is that it is worth checking the battery terminal connections, as if these are loose this would cause no end of problems.

pug_ham
Also note that the earth location points that will cause a 205 ignition to stop working are the ones near the coil(3rd one down)

This is only true on the pahse 1 & 1.5 cars with the coil mounted on a plate on the passenger side inner wing.

Cars with an inlet mounted coil don't have a similar earth.

Graham.

DaveW

That bloody headlight one is such a pain!

Simes
That bloody headlight one is such a pain!

No it isn't!

Remove waterproof cover.

Unplug cables.

Cut ends off cables

Re-terminate with Ring terminations

Remove earthing block

Bolt re-terminated cables to stud that once held the earthing block.

Hey presto, lights brighter, horn and wiper washer work all the time!

Do the same on the other side!

Edited by Simes

pug_ham

It really is that simple. ;)

The difference can be quite shocking though, it was for my headlights on my STDT. ;)

Graham.

Guest pistonbroke

check just in front of the rear light on the near side too, as this is also the earth for rear lights etc etc and the fuel pump.

Paintguy

I made a start on doing this today, but like a complete novice I started poking around the drivers side headlight one with the engine running.

You guessed it - I took all the skin off my knuckles when I caught the alternator fan!!!

Looks like it's a job for another day now :D At least by wiggling the wires about I now have both dipped and main beam on one side, so I know it's something that needs doing.

max0
I made a start on doing this today, but like a complete novice I started poking around the drivers side headlight one with the engine running.

I noticed my HT leads where arching with the engine running and tried to take one off. :D got quite a shock :D School boy error wont be doing that one again.

Anton green
Re-terminate with Ring terminations

Remove earthing block

Bolt re-terminated cables to stud that once held the earthing block.

Before I strat on this, can anyone remember what diameter rings to use to fit the stud? 6mm?? Ta

Edited by Anton green

pug_ham

iirc the earthing point bolts are (like many on a 205) M7.

Graham.

kyepan

done both the easy ones, and she is now purring smooth as a kitten.

just to get this straight, to reground the headlight earths, its neccessary to remove the back of the headlight and do the connectors again, i;m confused.

if thats not the case can anyone mark the earthing point to the chassis on the first two photos.

cheers

Justin.

Simes

I remade all the ends only because I've got a nice rachet crimp tool and all the ends to do it.

You could just wire brush the whole lot till they are nice and clean; the results wouldn't be as good.

Enfield

Don't get me started on electrics!

I just went to pop out to the shop last night and noticed that one headlight was yellow whereas the other was brilliant white.

Got out of the car and noticed that the bulb on the nearside was only glowing dimly. So I swapped over the bulb - nope, same problem.

Wiggled the earth block by the nearside headlight and it started working.

So went to shops and on my first left turn, get noticed that my indicators where working overtime clicking away at double the normal speed.

Get to the shops, put left indicator on and get out...sure enough the rear one is flashing like crazy but the front and side ones aren't working.

Go back home, wiggle them around again as the headlight stopped working again, fixed the headlight problem. Took the indicator bulb out, then spent about 10 minutes trying to put the ****** back in again!

Then spent another 10 minutes trying to get a bolt to go back into the slam panel (removed that cage thing that holds some fuses...on some models which have spot lamps it houses a few wires and and *stuff*).

Got my dad to have a go as I was going mad, tried the indicators, still where flashing fast, turned them off and put them back on again and they started working normally!

Get in the car this morning and the indicators have stopped working again! MY GOD!

Pull up into the driveway behind my dads car, turn off headlamps...hang on something is not right here....yes, the bloody nearside sidelight is now not working!

******* excellent!

Sorry for the rant lol

Edited by Enfield

Sign in to follow this