Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tu To Be1 Adapter

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Guest_JasonS_*

Guest_JasonS_*
  • Guests
Right, so you've found that the BE3 cluster is interchangeable in the BE4R casing and are unsure if the BE1 cluster is also interchangeable. The other problem i seem to remember being the case with using the BE4 casing is the angle/position of the top g/box mount as it positions the box at an angle giving trouble with driveshafts. I'm uncertain if this is a problem with the 205 but i think it was in the 106's that this angle would result in driveshaft-body contact. I have to look at it personally but i'm sure there is a way of counteracting this angle through fabrication of the top g/box bolt for the mount, to be positioned in a better location.

In theory it doesnt sound as bad as it probably is to do in reality :)

macaroni

macaroni
  • Drivers+
  • 755 posts
  • Name:Antony
Garage View Garage

over 50mpg on a run
revs to 7000 rpm
has 200hp
and lots of torque.

I don't see any other way to do it on a budget...

Sounds like you should use a 2.2hdi engine and chip it!

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 26,615 posts
  • Name:Mei
hdi's dont do 7000rpm....

TT205

TT205
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,590 posts
  • Name:Dave

All BE4R boxes afaik use short first gears and the same second, so you'll need to use BE3 primary shaft and 1st/2nd to get a decent gap there. The Box Sam had was a Picasso box with 4.26:1 FDR, 4.52's are commonly fitted and you can find 4.78, 4.93 and 5.06 if you know where to look. The trouble is as I mentioned above, the 3/4/5th gears on all the BE4Rs can only be used with the BE4R secondary shaft, the splines are different to BE3. Mostly they are widely spaced 3rd and 4th, but oddly some 5ths are quite close, they really couldn't have made it much crapper if they tried. There's not nice standard ratio set, you'd have to mix and match from 2 or 3 boxes to get that, which gets complex and expensive!

As TT205 says, installing a complete BE1 or 3 cluster (I haven't verified BE1 suitability yet btw), is probably simplest, but unfortunately denies you the shorter FDRs and newer bearings etc.

Sandy may be right but this isn't what I meant and I don't want to confuse the issue

The very first post by 'Veloce ... was asking if there was a way to mate a BE1 gearbox to a TU engine - I said the BE1/3 casing can be modified (bell housing) to fit.

I then posted again - but I meant that a modified BE1/3 box allows you to use any of the BE1/3 ratio's and final drive's found in other 205's 405's Mi's etc with the TU engine

- personally I have no knowledge of the BE4 or whether the BE1 or 3 internals will interchange with BE4

Dave

Guest_JasonS_*

Guest_JasonS_*
  • Guests

The very first post by 'Veloce ... was asking if there was a way to mate a BE1 gearbox to a TU engine - I said the BE1/3 casing can be modified (bell housing) to fit.

Any pics of this, or who does the adaption of the BE bell housing?

TT205

TT205
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,590 posts
  • Name:Dave

Any pics of this, or who does the adaption of the BE bell housing?

As I said earlier in the thread ....

Spike (on this forum) modified the BE bell housing so that he could run a BE box on his mod prod TU race cars

He offered to get a bunch of these done for people on the forum a couple of years ago but there was no interest at the time - pm him or contact him through teamgeen@yahoo.co.uk

Dave

Hilgie

Hilgie
  • Team Managers
  • 2,949 posts
Garage View Garage
Got a pic here of a 106GTi with BE conversion.

Posted Image

In this case they have used the gearbox from a Partner 1.6 (again TU with BE box). As you can see the startermotor is on the other side now, just like the MA boxes.

No problems with the enginemounts whatsoever as this box was designed for a TU engine.

I spoke about BE4R boxes from HDI engines on XU engines previously and then there are problems because of the different angle of the engine (XU=30 degrees, DW/EW=15 degrees), so the flywheelhousing has been adapted to compensate that.

In fact all BE4 boxes are the same, just the flywheel housing differs from whatever engine it is mounted on (eg. Xsara VTS (XU10J4RS), 90bhp HDi engines (DW10) or 1.6 petrol engines (TU5JP4) or even the 206GTi (EW10J4) ).

veloce200

veloce200
  • Drivers
  • 929 posts

Got a pic here of a 106GTi with BE conversion.

Posted Image

In this case they have used the gearbox from a Partner 1.6 (again TU with BE box). As you can see the startermotor is on the other side now, just like the MA boxes.

No problems with the enginemounts whatsoever as this box was designed for a TU engine.

I spoke about BE4R boxes from HDI engines on XU engines previously and then there are problems because of the different angle of the engine (XU=30 degrees, DW/EW=15 degrees), so the flywheelhousing has been adapted to compensate that.

In fact all BE4 boxes are the same, just the flywheel housing differs from whatever engine it is mounted on (eg. Xsara VTS (XU10J4RS), 90bhp HDi engines (DW10) or 1.6 petrol engines (TU5JP4) or even the 206GTi (EW10J4) ).

the ratios are what puts me of using a BE4. for a turbo engine the BE1 1.9 ratios are spot on. I have contacted Mike but no reply as yet. the problem i have is zero spare time to do any tinkering. which means unless i know it definitely works i won't try it (hence i am very grateful for this info so far!)

Hilgie

Hilgie
  • Team Managers
  • 2,949 posts
Garage View Garage
So have you had a look at which gearbox is on the 1.6-16V HDI engine? Should be fairly long box cause it's a diesel, and the 1.6-16V HDI is supposed to be a TU derived engine.