• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

Emissions Laws For Pre-catalyst Engine In A Post Catalyst Car

KRISKARRERA

We all know that if a pre-cat era car is fitted with an engine from a car that had a catalyst the car gets a pre-cat emissions test come MOT time.

But would happen if a cat equipped car is fitted with an engine from a pre-cat car?

deejay391

I looked into this as my cat equip s16 was failing on emmissions, i tried to say engine was a transplate from pre-cat 405.

Everywhere i went said it will have a emissions test as the car was supposed to have one, that was almost a year ago now tho just as the computer mot tests were starting up.

Best bet is check with a good mot tester :D

Edited by deejay391

Leet205

the MOT goes on the engine year, not the car year etc etc

so if u stick say a late gti engine (cat equipted) into a phase 1 gti they would have to test it with a cat. and vise versa, if the phase 1 engine is put into the late model gti (eqiped with std cat) then it would be tested as with a cat...or should be

hope this makes sence as if feeling a bit spaced out at the mo :s

Edited by Leet205

steve@cornwall

Asked my tester this specifically- could I put an older engine in a cat car and be tested on pre-cat emission levels?

his reply was, yes ,if you can prove the engine is of a pre-cat age :(

so, if you had, say, a "L" plate gti which failed on emissions, a 1990 engine could be fitted to it to pass at the higher level! (even though it may well be higher than the "L" plate engine that failed :D )

KRISKARRERA

Hmm thanks for your replies, looks like this is a bit of a grey area then!

Sandy

Greyer than Father Ted.

Most MOT testers seem to be unclear about the exact rules on this. I'd like to get hold of the exact rules, but that doesn't seem to be easy. I was led to believe that it was based on whichever was older, the car or the engine, so either a pre-cat car with a cat engine or a pre-cat engine with a cat car would both qualify for a pre-cat test. My tester says he can submit any car for a pre-cat test by taking his emissions machine through its options, but he might be asked by the ministry to justify why he did and he doesn't want to give them cause for suspicion; they might start analysing his work! The MOT is still largely a subjective test and relies initially on the testers judgement and he/she (are the any lady MOT testers?) could have that judgement called into question, which would inevitably fall whichever way the ministry wants it to.

The bottom line is that they can just about make money testing regular cars and mostly aren't interested in risking or interrupting that income by making a cloudy judgement call on a modified car.

The rules on modifying in this country are very relaxed compared to most of Europe, we're quite fortunate, despite how it might appear!

Richie-Van-GTi

Im putting my 94 306 through MOT and its geting a pre cat test due to having a pre cat engine. MOT tester has agreed because I can show proof that the engine came from a 89 car. I have the engine numbers for 306 the same as my 205, Ive not changed my 205 docs yet for the new engine number so he just said take both setsof docs as proof :D

Hope that helps in some way.

welshpug
Vehicles fitted with a different engine

Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle.

e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.

Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter

to prove engine age.

Sandy

Good work ;)

Sign in to follow this