• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Walker

205 To Mi16 Wiring Guide

Mike Walker

Is there a guide anywhere that takes you right through fitting the Mi loom to your 205?

I've searched for a long long time but can't find one....

Also, how long should it take an electrical engineer to do the job?

Cheers :)

sonofsam

NOT written by me. Cannot remeber where I found it or who wrote it, but had it in PDF format, wich i could not upload. Hope it helps. Also see the main site www.205gtidrivers.com and look under articles.

Document revision 1.1

Wiring loom guide to convert Peugeot 205 Jetronic to Mi16 Motronic.

This guide is written from my experience of transplanting a 1989 405 Mi16 loom into my late 1990 205 GTi 1.6

Please note that looms are not all the same and colours of wires can vary, please go on wire

numbers, and that wire numbers on the 205 and 405 loom may not necessarily be for the same function.

Any references to locations of parts will be from the drivers point of view sat in the car.

Stage one - Remove Loom from 405 Mi16

First locate the Motronic ECU in the engine bay. It is on the left hand side of the car behind the engine compartment bulkhead. It is likely that there will be another ECU for the ABS system which is not needed. You should be able to spot the difference as most of the Bosch ECU's have "Motronic" Embossed across the casing. Unbolt the ECU from the ABS computer and unplug the ECU. Keep it somewhere safe as they can blow and not work.

Now its just a matter of getting the ECU plug through the bulkhead and unweaving it all, you should disconnect all the components on the loom such as the air flow meter, the idle control valve etc. I used little cardboard labels on string to label what each plug on the loom did, and I put them on all the engine sensors as well. It makes putting everything back together easier and if you dont know what each part is just give it a name like "Sensor 1" or something.. make sure you label the part and the loom connector so you can remember where it goes! (Also remeber to note which injector plugs in where, and it would be helpful to take note where the HT leads go to which cylender as its hard figuring out where they go if you forget)

So everything is disconnected in the engine bay you should finally get to the point where all the components of the loom are unplugged you will get to a point on the loom where you dont need anything else. This will be when you reach a brown and black multiplug connector.

They are wrapped in black plastic sometimes so take this off anything wrapped in plastic film. Once you find the connectors unclip them from the rest of the car.

There will also be a 2 pin connector for the power supply which is hooked into the positive distribution box, pull this out.

There might also be a one or two pin connector for another wire unclip this as well (this may not be present on your loom it depends on year of car) as it is for the starter motor, some looms incorportate this cable into the brown or black plug.

You should now have the Motronic Loom totaly free. Put it to one side.

Stage two - Link loom part 1.

Right you have got the motronic loom out of the car. You now must make a link loom. The purpose of this will be explained later.

Get the brown and black plugs in the 405 (the ones you just unclipped from the Motronic wiring) and follow down about one meter. You need to cut though the core of wires now so that you will end up with the 2 plugs with a meter of wire coming out of them.

(If you have the additional connector which is one or 2 pin do the same)

Make sure you keep all the cables the same length.

Just so you understand DO NOT CUT THE MOTRONIC LOOM YOU TOOK FROM THE 405!!

Once you have done this you will be left with

1) Motronic loom with brown and black plug on end

2) 405 "Link loom" brown and black plug to connect to Motronic loom with 1m or so of wire loose.

Stage three - Remove Jetronic loom from 205

Ok now is the time you have to operate on your car.

What you need to do is find two brown multiplug connectors under the dashboard. They are

quite well tucked away. I ended up ripping the dash out, but its best not to do that if you can help it.

You could probably make it alot easier if you take off the steering wheel and take out the drivers seat so there is room to lay down.

The two multiplugs you are after are (in my car) between the steering column and the heater controls. You need to disconnect them.

You should also locate the Jetronic ECU bolted under the steering column, unplug this and take out the ECU.

Now just remove the loom in a similar fashion to getting the 405 loom out. Unclip and unplug everything until the car has no engine management loom. You will be left with all the wires for the lights and battery etc.

One other thing you may note is that the 8v 205 uses a tachymetric relay to control umong other things the fuel pump. It will be redundant with the 16v loom.

Stage four - Link loom part two

Right we now need the other half of the link loom. You need to use a portion of the 8v Jetronic loom you have just removed from the car.

The two brown multiplugs you disconnected from under the dashboard? Find the plugs which hook upto them on the redundant loom. Take a meter of cable and chop it off.

Just to make myself clear DO NOT CHOP OFF THE BROWN MULTIPLUGS UNDER THE DASHBOARD!

So you should have a meter of wires loose with brown plugs on the end which connect to your dashboard plugs in the car.

What you need to do is take these loose wire ends and connect them up to the corresponding cables which you have loose from the 405 loom So in the end you have your 2 brown plugs in the 205 connecting to your link loom which then connect to your Motroic loom in the 405.

The purpose of this is so that the gauges on your dash work with the new engine.

205--{2 brn plgs][brn plgs}------join-----{Brown/Black plg][brown/Black plg}--motronic loom

Section five - Joining the link loom

right we now have the 405 plugs and the 205 plugs on the table ready to be soldered

together, this section tells you which wire to connect together.

Plugs in the 205

9 Pin Brown connector

1. Reverse light (wire 52, brown)

2. Reverse light (wire 53, purple)

3. Coolant light (wire 47, yellow)

4. Coolant meter (wire 47a, red)

5. Alternator (wire 7a, brown thin wire)

6. Oil pressure meter (wire 30, lilac)

7. Oil temp meter (wire 30a, white)

8. Oil pressure light (wire 30b, grey)

9. Switched positive (wire 2, light blue)

6 Pin Brown connector

1. Coolant fluid level (wire 47b)

2. Fuel pump (wire 76)

3. Coolant fluid level (wire M47B)

4. RPM meter (wire 112)

5. K-Light (wire 74)

6. Starter motor (wire 46)

Connectors from 405 loom

Black 14 pin connector

A1. Reverse light (wire 52)

A2. Oil temp meter (wire 30c)

A3. Coolant meter (47a)

A4. NOT USED

A5. Switched positive (wire 2)

A6. RPM Meter (wire 112)

A7. Ground (Wire M)

B1. Coolant light (wire 47)

B2. Oil pressure meter (wire 30)

B3. Alternator (wire 7a)

B6. Reverselight (wire 52)

Brown connector

A6. Oil level (Wire 224 Gauge not present in 205 instrument console so is not used in conversion)

A7. Oil level (Wire 224 Gauge not present in 205 instrument console so is not used in conversion)

B4. Starter motor (wire 46a)

B6. K-Light (wire 74)

B7. Fuel pump (wire 76)

You now need to soldier the corresponding cables to each other from the 205 plugs to the 405 plugs.

This will leave you with an "adapter cable" or link loom as I call it so you can plug the 405 loom into your 205. Using this method is one way of doing it there are other ways, this is the way I have done it.

Please see my diagram I have made to complement this guide. It should be named enginebaycomponents.gif.

For BX wiring Im not sure how its done some say its easier than the 405 loom.

Ryan
For BX wiring Im not sure how its done some say its easier than the 405 loom.

The BX loom is dead easy. You strip out and keep all the wiring for the dash from the 205 loom. Then when you put the BX loom into the car you just need to hook up 4 connections:

1. Blue wire with spade connector = permanant 12V

2. Yellow wire near the ECU = fuel pump

3. Yellow wire in a white 2-pin plug = Switched 12v

4. Green wire in the same plug = rev-counter.

taylorspug

As said the bx loom really couldnt be much easier, it has no wire numbers on it, but you really dont need them anyway.

A yellow wire comes out of the loom close to the ECU . this is the fuel pump feed and needs to be connected to wire 76, which is white and used to go to the tach relay (which you no longer need).

The thick blue wire goes to the power distribution block mounted on the slam panel, its the permanent 12v feed.

At the end of the loom there is a 2 pin plug which has a green and yellow wire in it. The green is for the rev counter which goes to wire 112 or 112a on the loom plug under the dash on the 205. The yellow is the ignition switched live. :)

Mike Walker

Cheers for the replies, so the BX loom is exactly the same as the 8v loom apart from four wires/connectors?

Anyone know the going rate for a BX loom and how you would differentiate between the BX and 405 looms once they're out of the cars?

Ryan

They aren't the same as such, but with the BX loom it's easier than the 405 (imo) to strip out the parts of the 8v loom that you need to keep, and replace the bits you don't need with the BX loom.

The easy way to recognise a BX loom is that it's about 15 feet long (3 times longer than it needs to be) and has a lot of green wires in it. The 405 loom is a sensible length and is better colour-coded, you just need to do a bit more wiring with it.

Tbh stripping the 8v loom for the bits you need balances out the extra wiring you need to do with the 405 loom, so there isn't a lot in it really.

Edited by Ryan

Mike Walker
They aren't the same as such, but with the BX loom it's easier than the 405 (imo) to strip out the parts of the 8v loom that you need to keep, and replace the bits you don't need with the BX loom.

The easy way to recognise a BX loom is that it's about 15 feet long (3 times longer than it needs to be) and has a lot of green wires in it. The 405 loom is a sensible length and is better colour-coded, you just need to do a bit more wiring with it.

Tbh stripping the 8v loom for the bits you need balances out the extra wiring you need to do with the 405 loom, so there isn't a lot in it really.

Cheers Ryan, btw are you the Ryan who's also on SXOC?

Ryan
btw are you the Ryan who's also on SXOC?

The very same! :D

Mike Walker
The very same! :D

Thought so, think I recognised the avatar and the fact that you have a pic of a 205 in your sig on sxoc, i'm Mikesx13 on there, it seems that loads of 200 owners are also into 205's!!!

Ryan
Thought so, think I recognised the avatar and the fact that you have a pic of a 205 in your sig on sxoc, i'm Mikesx13 on there, it seems that loads of 200 owners are also into 205's!!!

I don't even have a 200, and never have. I only post there because I've been going to the midlands meets for years after I got dragged to the early ones to make up the numbers...

Mike Walker
I don't even have a 200, and never have. I only post there because I've been going to the midlands meets for years after I got dragged to the early ones to make up the numbers...

lol, I guess that just goes to show what a good bunch they are :D

Sign in to follow this