• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Headling

2l Turbo Questions

Headling

HI Guys, right first post really so please be gentle! :)

Right just to bring you up to speed, I have a 1990 black 1.9 gti, bought it of a mate with a knackered engine.

Been looking and reading up on engines etc and wanted some cheap speed so this saturday I bought a 2.0l turbo from a 406 P reg. Got ecu too and manifolds etc.

Just a few questions.

It needs a head gasket, does any one sell performance gaskets ( copper ones? ) or is a standard one fine? Any links to shops would be great.

Going to take the head off so is it worth putting new head bolts in?Do i get these from main dealer?

Is the head the same as the 1.9 engine? if so can you put GTI head on 2.0l engine to gain a bit of performance.

I am going to leave the bottom end alone and just clean the engine up and service the head, I have seen Sams turbo so got some ideas so far!

May try the standard ECU but if all else fails may try a Mega squirt, but got to do some reading up on that on the forum.

So far read lots of info using the 'search function' all good stuff, great forum!

cheers in advance,Mark.

ps, if there are any turbo owners in Kent PM me, would like a look at a done car.

welshpug

headbolts and general spares kinda stuff would be GSF, ECP, or Neat auto's.

IIRC the head will swap, but I doubt theres going to be any benefits at all to fitting it if its a turbo engine.

sonofsam

Hi Mark, haven't forgotten about you mate B):D

Wouldnt bother swapping the head myself, yes you get a hotter cam involved, but you dont get to use the 2.0L turbo inlet manifold that way, wich is a good'un. You can buy a hotter cam for the 2.0L turbo, if you find it too mild, but it is able to make good power. Plus a few people fit the xu10 head to the xu9 bottom end as a performance upgarde!

Standard OE gasket should be fine, unless you plan to run mega boost!

Is your ECU locked up then? Mine was :)

Standard management is very good in my opinion, has enough functions (knock sensor, boost control etc) and can be remaped if you wanted to at a later date.

Glad you found the search usefull ;) Any other questions, feel free mate.

Itching to get mine back on the road now, after its little 'enhancement' :o

Sam.

Guest Ray205S16

Use 2.0 head and 1.9 cam!

grtz, Raymond

inferno

generally ecus are easy to unlock, search and u shall find out how :) pm if you cant find it:P

u might notice the cam belts a bit tight when u put it all back together, this would appear to be normal too so dont panic . the conversions defo been covered a lot on here, although some topics are well hidden when trying to find them :( hopeing to document my third turbo conversion fairly soon, but its far from standard :o

Headling

thanks for the replys chaps. Some very usefull info there!

Yeah Sam done it and got engine! :) , I will have to take you up on the offer of having a look at your car! If its working all the better!!

I will gather a new gasket,bolts etc and give it a steam clean this weekend and give it a strip down and start getting it in.

I will leave head standard on, just wondered if the 1.9 head/cam would give me any more performance, cheers for the answers.

RE the ECU, not sure if its unlocked? we shall see, i have chatted a mate to wire up the car, glad i may not have to go down the upmarket ECU as dosh is a bit tight at the mo!

sonofsam

Im hoping to put the front end back together next weekend! I'll drop you a PM as soon as. :blink:

There's a big chance im afraid it will be locked, if it was just removed/ripped from the car. I guess the only way to be sure is try it once you got the engine is and wired up, but may prove a bit dissapointing if it is :P

bales

Does anyone actually know whether the 1.9 cam would give any advantage over the standard one, even though it may have a little too much overlap.

Has anyone actually tried this?

sonofsam

I don't think anyone has ?!

From a while back lol http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mshaft&st=0

Hilgie reccomended a DKZ (122bhp) model camshaft as an upgrade, but try getting hold of one of them in the UK, found a complete head once, but for the price of it at the time, I might aswell of gone to Catcams, still might, although I dont really mind the standard cam.

Edited by sonofsam

tom_m
Does anyone actually know whether the 1.9 cam would give any advantage over the standard one, even though it may have a little too much overlap.

Has anyone actually tried this?

yes they have and yes it does.

foxy had a 1.9 cam in his 406 turbo and reported good gains and i'm pretty sure there are a couple of dutch guys running them too.

the catcam for the turbo engine is virtually identical to the 1.9 cam, but with a little more lift and a little less overlap, having said that the overlap on the 1.9 cam isn't huge.

Edited by tom_m

Malachy
yes they have and yes it does.

foxy had a 1.9 cam in his 406 turbo and reported good gains and i'm pretty sure there are a couple of dutch guys running them too.

he never drove it with the 1.9 cam,

his "mechanic" screwed up fitting the cam bent the valves then when bringing it back to foxies house the car fell off said "mechanics" trailer and was written off.

my engine has a 1.9 cam but i never drove it with the stock (well i did but the ecu was about as tuned as a set of bagpipes) so have nothing to compare with.

Edited by Malachy

tom_m
he never drove it with the 1.9 cam,

his "mechanic" screwed up fitting the cam bent the valves then when bringing it back to foxies house the car fell off said "mechanics" trailer and was written off.

my engine has a 1.9 cam but i never drove it with the stock (well i did but the ecu was about as tuned as a set of bagpipes) so have nothing to compare with.

i knew it got written off by the trailer monkey, but i thought the way he talked about it the'd run it with the cam in. :blush:

Headling

So the cam saga goes on! intersting reading though, i cant afford to blow a engine up, so going to run it stock to start with i think!

Cheers for the offer Sam, i definatley want to have a look and a go in it.

As for the ECU we will have to see, I only paid 150 for the engine and ECU so not the end of the earth if I have to pay 150 to get it unlocked.

The scrap yard i went to have another 406 sri complete, PM me for details, its near Ashford Kent FYI.

inferno

whoa....!!!!! if your going to pay 150 to unlock it send it to me and ill supply u an unlocked one for half that :)

Headling

Sounds like a deal to me! just reading up on the forum thats what i had read that it was about 150 to get it unlocked, I will PM you when im ready for it.

!

tom_m
So the cam saga goes on! intersting reading though, i cant afford to blow a engine up, so going to run it stock to start with i think!

well i'm thinking seriously about dropping a 1.9 one into mine... but i think i'm going to focus on getting the engine in the car first. :D

Guest Ray205S16
well i'm thinking seriously about dropping a 1.9 one into mine... but i think i'm going to focus on getting the engine in the car first. :D

Here in the Netherlands there are some people who are using the 1.9 cam

and they are verry happy with the results, ask Hilgie he knows more about this ;)

grtz, Raymond

Headling

ok thanks for the info, I will have to try and get intouch.

Just thinking, I have read you have to use a mi16 flywheel and clutch? is this true? I am going to use a 1.9 gti gearbox.

I have searched the bay but cant find anything, because I am a new user I cant post on the wanted section!

If any one has any ideas please let me know.

Getting the jet wash out tommrow and clean it all up! joy!h

sonofsam

Yes, nearly everyone use's the Mi16 flywheel and clutch. Have a look at some online breakers for the flywheel.

www.breakeryard.com

www.parts-gateway.com

A brand new clutch kit if you wanted from here http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/Search_Results.asp

For £75 plus the dreaded.

Edited by sonofsam

inferno

hmmm just picked up another 406 turbo, and theres no keypad and just the gay transponder... does yours have this? if so i wont offer to unlock it!

Headling

cheers for that Sam, i will have a look.

Inferno your right, my 406 didnt have a key pad,so who knows if its locked or not? we shall see, if it is I will give you a shout. My car was on a P reg if that makes any difference?!

Henry Yorke

If you know the code, you should be able to chuck it into an S16 or the likes and unlock the ECU in that IIRC.

My CTI runs the low compression DFZ engine and head with a turbo and Motronic 3.2 system with the original XU9 (GTI) inlet manifold and the larger throttlebody (compared to the XU10J2TE)

The DFZ is 8.4:1 CR, cat. and small valves. The head is quite unique. It has quite large

chambers (49cc) with 105mm long valves, rather than 108mm. And yes, they're smaller valves than GTIs 39/33. They

also have different pistons which has shallower 9cc dish in the piston.

Cam timing is also very mild. It has 218 deg @ 0.050" lift, compared to 228 deg for the

130hp engine. Maximum lift is 0.405", rather than 0.445".

It should be going on the rollers at the PSOOC Leics day on 3rd March (all welcome to attend!!) so I may know what power and torque it runs. I am more interested in the latter figure!

Hilgie

if the 1.9 DKZ cam is hard to find, you should try the 2.0-8V (non-turbo) one. Almost the same cam as the DKZ with loads more lift as the 2.0T cam.

psa_cams.jpg

Results of the 130bhp (D6B) cam into a 2.0T engine were not very good as it has some overlap, which is not what you want on a turbo engine.

Headling

Great stuff! thanks for the info Hilgie, so the cylinder head is not going on! Just having a job finding a mi16 flywheel, got a clutch of the bay. If any one has one please PM me.

Sign in to follow this