• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Turbo7379

Challenge Spec Bilsteins - Can They Be Stripped ?

Turbo7379

I was going to order a pair of the Challenge Spec Bilstein front struts , part no F4-V36-0547-HO but Bilstein are out of stock of 1 side until the end of March ! :P

The only difference between the sides is the position of the anti-roll bar bracket & the brake pipe clamp . I'm wondering if I could strip out the insert from the strut & move the brackets by cutting them off & re-welding in the correct position to suit the other side ?

tom_m
I was going to order a pair of the Challenge Spec Bilstein front struts , part no F4-V36-0547-HO but Bilstein are out of stock of 1 side until the end of March ! :P

The only difference between the sides is the position of the anti-roll bar bracket & the brake pipe clamp . I'm wondering if I could strip out the insert from the strut & move the brackets by cutting them off & re-welding in the correct position to suit the other side ?

yes the inserts are removable on the challenge spec billies

Turbo7379

Thanks for the fast reply .

When you remove the insert does that leave a plain steel tube with no seals , etc to get damaged by heat ? Do you need any special tools to remove the insert ?

tom_m

sorry fella thats as far as my knowledge goes.

i'm pretty sure sandy and miles and a few more besides should know tho

chownr

Once the insert is removed (allen key at the base of the strut) the only seals left are the dust seal at the top of the strut and the copper bronze bushes that stop the insert from moving around.

Have you tried AB motorsport or West MIdland motorport? Id be surprised if they havent got any in stock?

Rich

Turbo7379

Thanks Rich . :)

Have you tried AB motorsport or West MIdland motorport? Id be surprised if they havent got any in stock?

AB Motorsport probably do have them in stock reason being that they are very expensive for the shocks . :blush: I'm not sure about West Midland , I'll try them tomorrow but I can't see them beating the price I can get from a local supplier ( £101 + vat :) ) .

jonah

Try Compbrake as well, they sell what looks like copies of the Bilstein strut bodies, much cheaper than the genuine Bilstein stuff.

Alternatively for genuine stuff, try Skip Brown as they tend to keep stuff like that in stock (they were the only place in the country that had Bilstein tarmac rear shocks on the shelf when I bought mine).

Miles

I know skip brown use the case which the Bilstein Insert's can be used, they just mod the std Pug outer I think, They are as chownr post.

Sign in to follow this