• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Wrong Manifold Gasket!

steve@cornwall

Removed the engine from the red cti today.It smoked quite badly when I bought it. The black sootyness disappeared when I changed the breathers, the over rich fuel smell went when I changed the ecu temp sender but, when revved heavily it was giving more white smoke than it should.So, being a little fed up by now,and not really wanting to replace the h/g and/or stem seals, I bought a s/h engine (as other thread).

anyway, when I removed the inlet manifold (engine out underneath)- this is what I found

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/pug...er/DSC00206.jpg

Not only were the injectors fouled by this gasket, there are signs of leakage from the small extra waterway into the ports- guess that would explain a lot :)

Anyway, I'd committed to the engine change and didn't fancy putting it back together "just in case " this was all it needed

DOH!!!!

Andrwn8304

Gasket looks ok to me.

Whats the engine code?

Have you bought a new gasket for it yet if so whats the part number?

jeremy

When I did my HG after the cambelt snapped, I was supplied two inlet manifold gaskets in the same pack (direct from Pug iirc), and one was cut out to allow the injectors to do their stuff, however the other one clearly fouled them. I'm not sure why the later one was supplied, perhaps they go to different setups, ie a diesel engine, but like I say i have no idea.

Edited by jeremy

Andrwn8304

Head sets normally do more than 1 car, same as when I done my HG the gasket set label says it does Peugeot / Citroen and Talbot.

However looking at the head should there not be a slight oval where the injectors would be to allow a clean flow of fuel through the chamber?

I've got an old XU5JA head in the garage along with the remains of the head set I'll check them out tomorrow and post some details back on for you.

jeremy
However looking at the head should there not be a slight oval where the injectors would be to allow a clean flow of fuel through the chamber?

You are most likely right, however iirc the injectors are mounted into the inlet manifold, and not the head itself, so will still foul the gasket.

Edited by jeremy

Andrwn8304

Not if the head should have a recess for the injectors, either that or somewhere along the line someones has changed the injectors / manifold for the wrong ones.

pug309twin40s

that inlet gasket would be for an carb xu engine.

the gasket for injection engines are the same as that gasket apart from having the injectors bits cut out.

jeremy
that inlet gasket would be for an carb xu engine.

the gasket for injection engines are the same as that gasket apart from having the injectors bits cut out.

Yeah I go along with that, as it seems to make complete sence.

steve@cornwall

It's also a paper gasket, whereas the inj. ones are usually self adhesive and rubberised.I'm surprised it ran o.k as I've mistakenly fitted one like this before and it wouldn't rev at all. As said, head sets come with both.

More worrying is the question of whether it was allowing water to enter the ports under pressure.I would assume the carb manifold,which I would also assume this gasket is for, has water heating? hence the extra waterways in the head. Maybe another thing to check on before condemning a h/g due to water ingress/steam from exhaust? The car was only ever serviced/worked on by garages with the previous owner so it's not even excuseable diy error.

Annoyingly, this would have been noticed very early if I had decided to remove the head.

It will be re-attached with good old silicon,with a good dose down the waterways! Always seem to get air leaks with the standard gaskets

Edited by steve@cornwall

Miles

Pauls spot on with the carb gasket as the rest of the set is the same, I'm sure allot of people shouldn;t work on car's..

steve@cornwall
Pauls spot on with the carb gasket as the rest of the set is the same, I'm sure allot of people shouldn;t work on car's..

And I've just admitted to the same mistake ;)

Andrwn8304

Just checked my old Cyl Head and the inlet ports are the same as the shape as the that gasket which allows for the injectors so it pointing more towards you've got a carb head on on the block not an injection one.

steve@cornwall
Just checked my old Cyl Head and the inlet ports are the same as the shape as the that gasket which allows for the injectors so it pointing more towards you've got a carb head on on the block not an injection one.

Head's fine underneath the gasket! proper inj. ports-just someone fitted the wrong gasket

steve@cornwall
Head's fine underneath the gasket! proper inj. ports-just someone fitted the wrong gasket

Due to the planned MI being in need of a rebuild before fitting and the engine in the cti needing serious attention I've fitted this engine to the cti. with some carefully applied instant gasket (loads in the extra waterways) It now runs fine - no smoking at all :)

Good idea to check this gasket before condemning a h/g due to white smoke (steam) from exhaust,then :lol:

Sign in to follow this