• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Super Josh

Td Lower Engine Mount

Super Josh

I got fed up with the vibration of my solid lower engine mount and the feeling that the dash was about to jump into my lap every time I started the engine :P

I'm using a Maniflow style manifold and have reverted back to a used standard mount. Unfortunately the exhaust knocks when accelerating in 1st gear.

Has anyone fitted a TD lower mount? Which way round have you fitted it, with the solid rubber part running up/down or front/rear?

Obviously I want something that is going to restrict manifold movement enough, so that it doesn't knock on the underside of the car or induce stress cracks. But I don't want anything as harsh as the group N mounts.

How bad is the vibration from a TD mount with the solid piece running up/down?

Any real life experiences?

Josh

Baz

Pretty sure that's what i have on my Miami atm Josh, a few friends have them too, they're notably stiffer, with a little more rattles but nothing like the solid rubber ones. It's thought they wear in a bit after a dood few miles, either that or just got used to them! Think they've been fitted randomly tbh, however way round they were pressed into the mount!

HTH! :P

pug_ham

I can't remember which mount NickR got for his all those years ago but that was a softer than group N but solid one from an XM TD iirc (maybe a search will get the answer) & it made the engine move less than the standard 205 rubber mount.

We fitted it with the solid rubber vertically the same as the standard mount should be.

Graham.

Super Josh

Thanks Barry and Graham, very helpful replies :) Graham that's interesting about Nick using a TD one, that is what I have here. Under a tenner too, with PSOOC discount. Like this.....

post-3373-1181114655_thumb.jpg

Graham, how harsh did it seem compared to a standard mount?

Cheers Josh

Anthony

Used to have one on my 1.6

Minimal in-cabin vibration (really couldn't tell any different from the standard one) but definately allowed less engine movement over the previous (admittedly somewhat tired) standard mount.

If it wasn't for the fact that I put a 2" split in it after 2 months I'd still have it now, although even the BBM GroupN mount that I've got on there now has suprisingly little vibration. Not sure why it split - I'm guessing that it was a defective part rather than an inherant issue with the mounts.

James_m

I have one of these.

I didnt bother positioning it in any specific way. IMO, its not quite stiff enough for an MI. Im going to look into getting something a bit firmer.

jonnie205

the baker bm one is very good and not much vibration from it. If you go for a td one then make sure you rotate it so the solid part is in line with lower mount fork

Richie-Van-GTi

Chris417mi uses one in his mi on jenveys, he doesnt have any issues with engine movement, I believe he uses TD mounts all round though.

pug_ham
Graham, how harsh did it seem compared to a standard mount?
In all honesty Josh, I can't remember & never drove the car with it fitted, only ever went in as a passenger.

What solid lower mount do you have fitted? I've got the PTS group N on mine & the worst point in the rpm range for vibration is about 1200rpm (not that its often sat at that rpm), its fine at idle. Get a phillips screwdriver & go round all the dash bolts to check they are tight, that should help lessen any vibration resonance you might be getting.

Graham.

Baz
the baker bm one is very good and not much vibration from it. If you go for a td one then make sure you rotate it so the solid part is in line with lower mount fork

That's exactly the way i've asked for them to be pressed in before, not that it always happens though! :)

Higgy

I have Xantia Turbo lower one and Baker Top mounts.

With this set-up the rear view mirror shakes a bit and there is some slight vibrations when sat idling.

Its better to have this in my opinion than the cam cover rubbing on the master cylinder!!

Higgy.

Sign in to follow this