• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zowow

Engine Temp Sensor

zowow

on my 1.6 the engine temp sensor is attached to the block and theres a blue connector and a blue socket, so no problem there... BUT

on the new engine it's not in the same place and i cannot find it. The car will not start without this plugged in. at the moment i'm using the old one with a load of extra pipework and its just hanging inside the bay as theres no where to attach it to...

is there something i am missing? i.e. a plug for the blue socket elsewhere on the 1.9?

Edited by zowow

zowow

am i right in saying this is mounted in the tank on a ph2?

not sure whether to keep the external sensor and figure out how to mount it on the 1.9 or change the cooling system... hmm

GLPoomobile

I'm not 100% on what you are saying your situation is.

So are you saying you have the correct connector on the loom, but you cannot find the ECU temp sensor to plug it in to? Or do you have the sensor plugged in but don't know where on the block it is supposed to be screwed in to?

Do you have any rogue sensors screwed in to the block that are not plugged in to anything, either at the back or the side of the coolant distribution block thingy on the end of the cylinder head, or the seperate coolant block under the dizzy if this if fitted on your engine?

If you just need somewhere to plug in the sensor then I don't think it matters where it goes as long as it is in the coolant stream. Hence why you'll find it in different locations on different phase engines. IIRC there should only be the ECU temp sensor, Coolant temp sensor (instruments) and coolant temp switch (instruments) installed in the coolant distribution block, or around that area. Do you have all these, or do you have more than this?

I dunno! Sounds weird and confusing to me!

EDIT: Just a thought. I reckon your new engine was one of the ones that only has two holes in the back of the coolant block under the dizzy - 1 each for the temp switch and sensor for the instruments. And then your ECU Temp Sensor was fitted to the seperate coolant block that would be bolted to the side of the block under the dizzy, which also had the SAD bolted on to it. So I reckon you are missing this part of the coolant system, and your main distribution block on the end of the head only has the two holes that are already taken up by the other two sensors.

If this is the case, you could get it running by taking out one of those sensors and putting the ECU sensor in, as they are only for the instruments and don't affect the running of the engine. But in the long run you'd either need a distribution block with 3 sesnor holes, or the seperate piece that goes in the coolant system lower down under the dizzy where I guess the original location for the sensor was.

I may have one of those 3 holes distribution bits kicking about.

EDIT 2:

Just thought I better clarify this as my descriptive skills are s*it and I don't know the correct names for the parts!!

The '3 hole distribution block' I'm talking about is the part at the end of the cylinder head that the dizzy fits in to. You also have the thermostat at the front and a main coolant hose connected to it. And then normally at the back of this you'll have 2 or 3 holes for the coolant sensors to fit in to.

The other bit I was talking about is just a small piece, like a joint between two coolant pipes, that you find bolted to the block down under the dizzy, and above the gearbox. This has one hole for the ECU temp sensor, and the SAD will be bolted to the side of it. You dont find this on all engines though.

Edited by GLPoomobile

pug_ham

What year of car is your 1.9 engine from?

The later ones (post 90ish) had the ecu temp sensor in the back of the thermostat housing & used a different pipe for the cooling system from ther eto the heater pipe on the bulkhead.

I'm guessing your new engine has the right hand one of the thermostat housings in the attached picture fitted where the original one had the left one. The original bit you have hanging loose used to bolt to the side of the housing on the two M8 studs you can see with nuts on (ringing yellow). The SAD bolts to the side of the housing in the middle on the two M6 studs(ringing green) on the plate fixed to the housing. The ecu temp sensor is at the back(ringing red).

Graham.

post-71-1181527434.jpg

• Like 1

zowow

Thanks for the replies.. it's definately a phase 2, and a real late one at that so i've been told... It looks exactly the same as your picture with the exception of there not being the plug circled in red!!! so i'm not sure what to do now. I guess i'll have to use the phase one unit and just mount it to the wing or gearbox or something :ph34r:

What year of car is your 1.9 engine from?

The later ones (post 90ish) had the ecu temp sensor in the back of the thermostat housing & used a different pipe for the cooling system from ther eto the heater pipe on the bulkhead.

I'm guessing your new engine has the right hand one of the thermostat housings in the attached picture fitted where the original one had the left one. The original bit you have hanging loose used to bolt to the side of the housing on the two M8 studs you can see with nuts on (ringing yellow). The SAD bolts to the side of the housing in the middle on the two M6 studs(ringing green) on the plate fixed to the housing. The ecu temp sensor is at the back(ringing red).

Graham.

GLPoomobile
Thanks for the replies.. it's definately a phase 2, and a real late one at that so i've been told... It looks exactly the same as your picture with the exception of there not being the plug circled in red!!! so i'm not sure what to do now. I guess i'll have to use the phase one unit and just mount it to the wing or gearbox or something :)

Are you saying you have no hole on yours, where Graham has circled the one in red, or that you are simply missing the blue plug?

The blue plug IS the sensor, so if you have the hole but not the sensor then by one from GSF (a search will bring up the part number), screw it in the hole and plug your loom into it. If already have the sensor attached to the loom then you just need to whack it in the hole where shown in Graham's picture.

I'm probably stating the obvious to a question that I'm misunderstanding :D So sorry if that's the case!

Edited by GLPoomobile

zowow

Obvious replies are often the best ones.. sorry guys, after Graham's post i've found it, it was hidden behind a lot of stuff lol,

Sign in to follow this