• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edthedrummer

Diesel Rev Counter

edthedrummer

I've searched, but not found the answer to my question.

My rev counter doesn't work on my 205 dturbo. When i turn the ignition on, there is movement, but nothing else. Where abouts is the sensor for the rev counter in the engine? Any ideas on how to get it working again would be great.

jackherer

I'm not sure but I think diesels use a crank sensor for the tacho, probably on the gearbox above the flywheel. The tacho is fused but if you're seeing some movement its unlikely to be that.

Richie-Van-GTi

yep its driven of the crank sensor in the gearbox which should kick out 3-5v pulses. and doesnt have any form of live feed IIRC.

pug_ham

You probably need a new crank sensor. They are the same ones as the unused (except for at Pug) with the brwon three pin plug that sits on the rocker cover on the GTi.

This plug on my STDT is at the front of the cylinder head near the oil filler neck & plugs into the main engine loom.

If you have PAS on the Dturbo they are a pain to get to because they are just underneath one edge of the mounting bracket on the gearbox.

They have to be set at a specific distance from the flywheel for them to work. (mine doesn't)

Graham.

edthedrummer

There is what looks to be a sensor fitted into the gearbox on my dturbo. Its directly underneath the air filter guff. Is this what your talking about?

Pugtorque, what mounting bracket are you reffering to on the gearbox?

Are they expensive to replace? and if i get a replacement from peugeot, am i able to fit it myself, as in plug it straight in or screw it in?

sutol
There is what looks to be a sensor fitted into the gearbox on my dturbo. Its directly underneath the air filter guff. Is this what your talking about?

Pugtorque, what mounting bracket are you reffering to on the gearbox?

Are they expensive to replace? and if i get a replacement from peugeot, am i able to fit it myself, as in plug it straight in or screw it in?

It fits in a rubber mount in the flywheel casing at about 5 past the hour looking at it from the nearside wheelarch.

pug_ham
It fits in a rubber mount in the flywheel casing at about 5 past the hour looking at it from the nearside wheelarch.
The location is about right but mine isn't mounted in a rubber mount, the mount is plastic.

The attached picture is my new one waiting to be fitted to my STDT to hopefully fix the lifeless rev counter. They are approx £15 from Peugeot & sometimes can be fitted easily but mine doesn't work even with the new sensor fitted with the gearbox on so I'm going to set it correctly when I swap the gearbox in the next bowt of dry weather.

The sensor you've seen is more likely to be the revsering lamp switch in the area you mention imo. The crank sensor is towards the back of the engine / gearbox mounting face.

Graham.

post-71-1185065934_thumb.jpg

edthedrummer

Okay, thankyou, i will have a look on monday when i am down at the car. You say yours doesn't work even with the new one on? How do you set it properly? I presume its a gearbox off job?

pug_ham
You say yours doesn't work even with the new one on? How do you set it properly? I presume its a gearbox off job?
IMO you should be able to do it without taking the gearbox off but I haven't managed it yet. Peugeot obviously can though.

You fit the new sensor into the plastic holder & there are tabs on the end that you push so they are resting hard against the flywheel. When you turn the engne over again the flywheel timing tooth chops these down to the right clearance & it should work but mine didn't. :)

Graham.

edthedrummer
IMO you should be able to do it without taking the gearbox off but I haven't managed it yet. Peugeot obviously can though.

You fit the new sensor into the plastic holder & there are tabs on the end that you push so they are resting hard against the flywheel. When you turn the engne over again the flywheel timing tooth chops these down to the right clearance & it should work but mine didn't. :blink:

Graham.

Where does the other end of it go?

Seems like a fairly straight forward task in theory, but i doubt it will be that simple.

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this