• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Mystery Coolant Loose ?!

DamirGTI

Hello !

Boys i need some help/info :

I have some problems regarding coolant loose on my modified engine (Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi), now after rising the compression ratio my engine heats up quicklier then before and cooling fan is working/switching more often now (however the outside air temps. are higher now in the summer time , was 40c few days ago here in my country..) , but the engine temp. never gets past 85c not even when i drive really hard at the warm day or up the hill , coolant temp is always around 75-80c and it goes up as high as 85-86c then the cooling fan cuts in but he works a bit long after the temp. falls back to 75-80c .

However i found that from time to time around 0.25 0.5l of coolant is missing inside the expansion bottle (every two weeks i have to top up 0.25 0.5l of water in the exp. bottle , sometimes more sometimes less it varies , but never more than 0.5l of water) and i always notice this miss of coolant next day after the engine is completely cooled down 12 or 24 hours , when i go and check the coolant level immediately after i stop driving on hot engine - the coolant level in the exp. bottle is fine , but next day in the morning it's missing just a little bit of coolant in the bottle .. I've been checking all around for split or broken water pipes , and coolant leak from outside the engine but i really can't find any spot from where the coolant is leaking ?!?!

I've check the oil color so I'm 100% sure that it does not mix up water and oil , and theres no bubbles or white/yellow paste in the exp. bottle also no strange combustion smells from the exp. bottle with the engine running .. Theres no exhaust fumes what so ever no white smoke from the exhaust pipe , no blue smoke , black smoke ... oil level is always good ...

But one thing that i notice is - on 1 cylinder (from the timing belt side) also only when the engine is cooled down 12 or 24 hours (i can't see this liquid inside when the engine is warm or switched of few min. after driving) ..is some sort of liquid inside that 1 cylinder in the bottom corner between the piston and cylinder wall but it's just a little amount of liquid however i can see it when i look trough the spark plug hole down in the cylinder in the corner and just inside that 1 cylinder from the timing belt side , all other cylinders are fine - dry ..

This liquid also appears on the spark plug of that 1 cylinder , when i took the plug out from cold engine it's wet (it becomes completely dry for a few seconds as i took it out and blow air on the plug tip..) , and when i took it out from warm engine it's dry ?!? also all other spark plugs are dry no mater when i took them out from cold or from hot engine ..

So I've try one test - i bought one tin long painters brush and push him down trough the spark plug hole to the bottom of the 1 cylinder and soak him up in this liquid at the bottom and examine this liquid - it's of light clear yellow color , it's not oil for sure , it does not smell as fuel either and i was trying to ignite the tip of the brush soaked in this liquid with the cigarette lighter but this liquid does not burn ? so it's not a fuel or ?!? and coolant is mixed up with the antifreeze and it's of different - green color .. so does anybody possibly know why is this happening only on completely cold engine ? what is this yellow liquid ? and is it possible that this amount of coolant evaporate/boil out from the exp. bottle/coolant system from time to time when the car is stopped hot and not working to the next day , from the higher temp. inside the engine as an result of high compression ratio/higher temp. of engine/cylinder head than before when all was standard (what i mean is - when i switch of the engine at 85c and go home but temp. continues to rise inside the engine to let's say 90-95c because the engine/cylinder head is still hot from driving and this leads to coolant boiling/evaporating trough the system out , which leads to loose of level in the exp. bottle next day in the morning , is this possible ?!) or can it be some other problem ?

I've done 4000Km with this engine now from the fully rebuilding/modifying this year , and i don't have any problems with the engine running or what so ever just now this mystery of coolant loose and wet spark plug symptoms ..

Thanks ! ;)

Damir

Bally

head gasket blown. Very slightly, when you shut down the pressure in the coolant system is pushing coolant into the cylinder. I had the same problem.

Emmy Seize

I´d place bets on a head gasket failure as well.

As the engine warms up, all the parts expand, thus closing the leak.

Allthough this might be considered as a bodge, a bit of "Radweld" or a similar substance might cure it without taking the engine appart again.

DamirGTI

Hello !

I've bought some "Arexons" metal stop - leak powder , and pour this stuff inside and will see if this helps ;)

It says on the bottle :

This highly effective product stops all water leaks from the cooling system : radiator , cylinder head gaskets , engine block . It does not attacks tubes , gaskets or metal parts .

So i will see how/if this stuff works :)

Thanks ! B)

Damir

Sign in to follow this