• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest brodeh

[engine_work] Another 205 8v Turbo Conversion

Guest brodeh

Well not a week, a week and 2 days. Its all in now, the list of modified includes subframe, gear linkages, clutch, block (had to cut some off), lower engine mount, upper engine mount, alternator and tentioner. Also the batt has been moved to the boot to save on space!

The gti interior has been removed, the seats are off to the magical seat man to become swish once more. In the mean time an old xs seat will keep the heater matrix and all that wiring company!

Some pictures below :D

A couple of things im pondering:

1: Shall I use a water-to-air chargecooler/intercooler, as im all for the standard look and as can be seen the clearances above the rad in its new, lower position give enough room for a pair of water hoses but not for 2 intercooler pipes. Also i have sourced a slimline fan for the passenger side of the rear of the radiator.

If so should I buy new or does anyone know of any sucessful use of other cars parts in the past?

Ive seen some of the insane looking intercoolers on here and the look great, but id really like mine to all fit back under the standard trim :blush:

2: The wiring, as you can see is a bit of a nightmare! If you were doing this conversion it would you look to modify what you have or start from scratch from the engine loom. Currently my plan was to get it started using the whole loom before cutting unused parts away (lights, interior stuff, etc) and making sure it still works, bit by bit.

3. The fuel pump! Can i wire this to a simple on off toggle switch, i know the 1.9 had a tach relay, but i have not yet found one on the xantia loom, our last conversion to a 16v 106gti engine worked fine with a simple on off swich, would this?

4. What is the standard bosch cylinder t peiced close to the intake with the white three pin plug and the smaller pipe leading from it to the to pf the intake? This can be seen in the first picture.. i cant seem to find it on my wiring diagrams :)

Web1.JPGWeb2.JPG

Web3.JPGWeb4.JPG

Web5.JPGWeb6.JPG

Web7.JPGWeb8.JPG

Cheers in advance for your input, its greatly appriciated as ive never dabbled with turbos before, however i must say im quite happy with my progress so far B)

If im doing rubbish please dont hesitate to tell me :o

jim21070

Good work sir :) Coming along a treat!

In answer to your questions:

1. Intercooler. A very important item and critical to good performance. Fit the best you can. A water to air should be OK but before you do that, have a look at some other posts on the Turbo conversion and observe the long, thin ones that really neatly fit under the rad. Using a nice air-air IC will save additional plumbing.

2. Difficult. I'd try first to get everything running on the old before major rewiring to ensure you know that it does go and everything works. Wiring can be tidied later.

3. No! What you suggest is dangerous except for test purposes. The Xantia ECU controls a double injection relay, one half powering the injectors and the other half the pump. Originally this relay sat next to the ECU in the Xantia engine bay ECU box. Also use the Xantia inertia switch for full safely in the case of an accident so that the fuel pump will cut. I'd not take chances here. The inertia switch and double injection relay performs the same role as a tachy relay essentially.

4. This is the Idle Control valve (ICV). An analogue to the SAD on 8V L-Jet injection but works far better!

Have you got the immobiliser sorted? Did your ECU come from a Xanita with a keypad and did you a) keep the keypad and B) know the code?

Good luck with this project. I'm watching with interest :)

bales

In terms of the intercooler I wouldn't bother with a charge cooler as they just add complexity as you will need a pump and reservoir system. Plus once you are moving the air-air are just as efficient if not more so when you take into account heat soak warming the water when you are on a track day or something.

To get an intercooler to fit under the grill neatly will require new brakets for the radiator, and chopping a bit out of the lower cross member, unless you can find a cheap slimline one, I used a 2wd cossie as it was free and I don't mind the fact that my car looks (ugly/purposeful) depending which way you look.

Or use a punto GT ir similar and mount it somewhere tucked away

craig f90

Im hoping to use a 2wd cossie i/c ive bought. lowering the radiator should give enough room for it to sit on the rad, and the slam panel to go on top. Im not using a standard grille so, hope that the car will look complete. ive discarded most of the unessesary wires with the aid of a haynes and a shematic diagram which sonosam posted a link to on one of my posts in the forum. I have a few that im stuck on, to be honest i should have done it your way. Seems to make better sense. As jim21070 says the multi function relay is next to the ecu. A big black box on a 406. Im keeping the inertia switch too as it has the fuel pump wire coming out of it. Remember, saftey 1st. Very good work so far, by the way.

Mikey G
Im keeping the inertia switch too as it has the fuel pump wire coming out of it. Remember, saftey 1st.

The fuel pump wire comes out of the dual relay unit, the inertia switch interupts the signal between the ecu and the dual relay, in the event of an accident it shuts off the fuel, so what happens in a standard 205 when you crash it and the engine stays running? Not very safety minded then, so as we didnt have an inertia switch we just pulled it out of the system. It wont hurt but when you crash you get fuel everywhere... (if the pipes split) so how did we manage in the old days eh? lol

If the engine stops running it shuts off the fuel anyway.

Guest brodeh

I'm 95% finished now. The last few things to do are connect the brake servo, which I've been pondering, where's the best place, I've searched and had a few ideas but what do you think.. I was hoping to not to have to t-peice it in.

Also i need to fit my boost gauge. again any comments on best placement..

And I'm after a dump valve.. does it need to be adjustable? Who are the best value for money?

Ill add pictures hopefully later tonight :)

Mikey G

As you look at the inlet manifold with the throttle body facing you, there are a couple of blanks on the right hand inlet tract, one is for the servo. This should be fitted with a one way valve to prevent boost pressure going to the servo.

Boost gauge we T'd into the ECU signal pipe off the top of the throttle body.

Dump Valve? dont want one of them, you want chatter :)

sonofsam

Yeah a one way/check valve is a must otherwise you get very odd servo brake feel! (check out aquarium shops for something with the right OD)

Agreed, I took my dump valve off as you dont really need one unless your running a bar of boost or over and compressor stall is a

way cooler noise B):D

If you do want a dump valve have a look at forgemotorsport for some nice priced ones ( single piston type is what you need by the way )

twin pistons are for cars with AFM's. 2.0T. uses a MAP sensor :D

Have a search through my recent post's also for ideas of where to fit the boost gauge inside the cabin.

Look forward to the pics B)

Guest brodeh

web21.jpgweb22.jpg

Unfortunatly they are from my phone, as my camera had gone flat by this point. I just need to find my hacksaw and finish my boost pipes... could have put the intercooler in the boot with that thing!

Then its all just tidying the electrical side.. it all works, just needs to be much shorter, look at it all flowing over the wing!

Im gonna leave the dump valve for now me thinks.. as one of my objectives of this project is to see how cheaply it can be done properly.. Looking about £250 inc the xantia, intercooler, silicone, all the hose clisps and metal and paint and accessories so far :D Will charge the camera and get detail pics.

Thanks again for all the advice..

Ps, guess the intercoolers donor car B)

welshpug

nissan skyline?

jim205GTI

£250....... nice ...... tempting now to get a second pug and turbo that......mmm best of both worlds.... haha

Nice work though!!!

jim21070

Yes, I would have said a Nissan of some ort for the source of the Intercooler. I have a Nissan 200SX one cluttering up the garage and it looks similar.

sonofsam
£250....... nice ...... tempting now to get a second pug and turbo that......mmm best of both worlds.... haha

You just know you want to :lol:

and a skyline IC on a 205 Welshpug!

DVC011701.jpg

Rover!?

welshpug

I meant GTS not GTR :lol:

Discostu

Just curious but will u be fitting the headlight? Intercooler pipe looks to be in the way :lol:

I know alot of ppl use punto GT & R5GTT intercoolers. I only decided on the custom route because i ahd the money there to do it, otherwise i would have looked into fitting one of those

Guest brodeh

Its from a eagle talon, which is cheating as its rele a mitsy :)

As for the headlight i have decided i couldnt be bothered with it, it was in the way and i dont need it, mine were poor at best anyway. I have a pair of aux side/dip/drive lights which im going to mount slightly obscuring the original headlights. Both of the sidelights will still work, one however may light up blue, we will have to see.

Plus I can now keep the original rad fans and mounting, and it looks a little different. Plan is to remove the passenger driving lamp for a mesh, and then fit my wheel arch liner.

Its all electrical now, with the exception of waiting for my stainless 6m pipe to arrive and its reducers and bends and stuff to make my exhaust from. As you can see the electrical system needs alot of work!

Also ive modified my throttle for the sensor (pictured), but what does it do?

Dont want to start the wiring! :lol:

Web10.jpgWeb11.jpg

Web12.jpgWeb13.jpg

Web14.jpg

Edited by brodeh

Mikey G

Not sure what that sensor does but i believe it is for the Xantia's Activa system and has nothing to do with the engine whatsoever.

craig f90

Ive got a bailey dump valve on my engine. (came with car. i didnt buy it, honest.) my car looks a bit boy racer so, i might leave it on until i get bored of the psshh noise. £250 to built her so far? amazing! Ive probabably spent that much on note pads, pens and sticky labels. :) Keep up the great work Brodeh. Keep us posted.

Guest brodeh

Thats it folks, I started this project exactly 4 weeks ago and by what a fun 28 days its been. Had it out tonight for the first time properly and its awesome, gonna hopefully get it on the track tomorrow. Lots of pictures to follow i expect. A big thankyou goes out to all that have given me advice, and gone out of their own way to help me. Your all legends :P

Heres a run down of what its cost me, should there be others ummming and arrring. Ill also point out that this has worked out cheaper than my last engine replacment of my first 1.9 with another 1.9, pitty I blew the first one up. second one was worth it :(

70k Activa with service hist Free

Silicone boost pipes x5 £70.00

3m Alu boost pipe (not polished) £12.00

Assorted rubber hose £10.00

Assorted hose joiners £10.00

One way brake valve £5.00

Assorted hose clips £20.00

Bolts £4.00

Electrical aux switches £4.00

Start button £6.00

Cutoff switch £7.00

Battery box £16.00

Cable for box £10.00

Belts £4.00

Boost guage (tim) £20.00

CG Motorsport Clutch £55.00

Flywheel £40.00

Full stainless system (diy) £30.00

Total £323.00

sonofsam

...And who says Turbo'ing a Pug is expensive!

You'll have to let us all know how she performs on track, is your boost control fully operational :)

bales

Christ £323

I have spent well over a £1k easily and I havent even finished most of it yet!

Guest brodeh

Christ bales, what did you do, line the engine bay with gold :)

The track was postponed due to poor weather.. will hopefully get out tomorrow!

How much have others spent on this conversion?

tom_m
Christ £323

I have spent well over a £1k easily and I havent even finished most of it yet!

ditto! :)

plus you got your engine free, thats cheating! :D

Edited by tom_m

Crazy-legs!

Im still in the process of building mine, and i've probably spent a grand on her already (Most of that on Samco!)

craig f90

Im knocking on the door of a grand too. Most cash has gone on Engine purchace. Clutch and swaping it from 1.6 running gear to 1.9. But im sure it will be value for money????