• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Garry

R19 Oil Filter?

Garry

I need an oil cooler for lapping at the ring, the car was getting VERY hot earlier in the year to the point I was losing oil pressure! :angry:

I have noticed that I have very little clearance between the oil filter and the radiator (20-30mm), and I am not sure if there is room for a sandwich plate. I once read that the filter from a Renault 19 16valve can be used, which is much thinner (I have looked in Halfords).

Can anybody confirm this is the case?

The other alternative would be to relocate the filter which I am reluctant to do.

Anthony

Yup, I've used a Renault 19 16v filter before successfully - same fitment, but much shallower :angry:

James_R

have you removed the oil heater yet Garry??

At the ring just an alloy sump no oil heater should see you fine, esp as you lap pretty quick doens't get a chance to over heat then :angry:

If you're doing mulitple laps then maybe a cooler is needed. I'm going with an Mi finned sump and 13 row set up but I'm expecting to have to tap off the cooler cause the ring is so fast you don't have cooling issues like you do at cadwell. :(

16v205

Yep, I prefer r19 oil filters. They have a hex on the top so you can use a spanner instead of a chain to remove them.

Garry

Thanks Chaps, I don't think my car runs any sort of cooler/heat exchanger. My filter bolts straight onto the sump, although I am not entirely sure where the standard gti6 set up is located.

My car has always ran hot after a hard run, I will look into maybe changing the pipework around over the winter.

Also my driving style isn't exactly mechanically sympathetic (my excuse for overheating at the 'ring :angry: )

James_R

Maybe swap to a 82deg thermostat too?? seem to remember the coolant runs hot too?

Can take a gander in a few weeks :(

there's no pipe work going to the oil filter at all? std they run the water/oil exchnager units, whihc are bin worthy :angry:

Alastairh

Yeah, sounds about right. Would of thought PP would ditch the standard stuff. The pipes just get in the way in the wrong areas, and do bugger all anyway.

Im going to do what your doing over the winter and just run a Mocal or what ever for the ring next year :angry:.

Garry

19 row cooler and fitting kit now ordered.

Found this place for coolers, quite a lot cheaper than most, although it doesn't seem to be a brand name, should do the job though.

www.automobiliauk.com/racingcars.php

Matt Holley

How does the water oil exchange thing come off of the gti6 engine as I may well ditch that over the winter

I would have thought that without that a mocal sandwich plate would fit.

I have got a nissens rad ready to fit but I will get one of those 82 degree stats aswell :)

Edited by matt holley

Ryan
How does the water oil exchange thing come off of the gti6 engine as I may well ditch that over the winter

There's a hex around the base of the thread that the filter screws onto. If you undo that then the exchanger will come off. You can then screw the filter straight to the block, or fit a sandwich plate.

Miles

You just need to buy a thread to fit into the block as the heat exchanger part has the thread on it leaving a hole behind, under £2.00 from Pug

Matt Holley

Thanks miles.

I have been to pug this morning for an 82 degree stat and they said they all have 83 degree stats but I am sure it runs closer to 90 :)

I will give this new stat a go with the new rad and see if it runs any cooler, the only problem I have is that after about 6 or 7 laps of combe the water temp is on on notch before the end of the gauge on a warm day, in the morning when it was raining so not giving it as much I could do the full 20mins no probs and was 2 notches before the end so its only under really hard driving.

My oil temps never really get to hot.

Garry

Mine runs similar temps matt. But doesn't go higher, a possible answer may be that the 205 and 306 gauges may not be reading the same, it does look a little worrying but maybe if you put it in a 306 it would read in the middle.

Does anyone know what the temperatures are for the standard markers on the 205 gauges?

rapidmi

ive always used r5 turbo filter, there possibly the same as the r19 and im i remember correctlt the ph1 clio is the same aswell

Sign in to follow this