• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Liner Protrusion

Stu

Ive just spent the last 2 hours or so searching the forum for answers, but all i can find are specs, i now know that the liner protrusion on an alloy block Mi should be within 0.03 - 0.1mm, but my liners seem to be less than a thousandth of an inch (so >0.025) proud of the block, should i be worried? The smallest feeler gauge ive got is 0.04mm which wont go under the rule while sat on the liner. Now there is some clearance, as the rule will 'rock' fractionally (i mean an engineers fractionally, not a builders fractionally :) ) between the liner and the block, and i estimate it to be just shy of a thou protrusion.

Sooo.. is there anything that can be done to increase the protrusion? all of the liners and block mating surfaces are clean, and the test was done without the liner seals in place.

Answers on a postcard..

welshpug

you can increase it by skimming the block, best get a finer set of blades to be 100%, but as long as its all straight it should be perfectly fine :)

Stu

Thats what i like to hear, cheers bud!

The liners are within spec of each other, just was a little unsure if i needed more protrusion.

Sandy

It's good insurance, so to speak, to get it right now. check the condition of the seats, if they have been "cleaned" too aggressively, that can cause the loss of height and slight rock.

Bally

I know the engineering guys will yell at me for this, but once I had a block and liner combination that I wasnt pleased with and I took a flat piece of hard wood, wrapped it in first 120 grit wet sand and used loads of wd40 and gave it a good fews rubs across the top of the block in a nice flat manner, then changed the paper to 600 and repeat and then 1000 and repeat to get back a nice smooth surface

When I replaced the liners I had liner protrusion that I was really happy with. Engine is still going after 2 years and is ragged everyday.

I will wait for the bashing from the engineers. lol

Stu

To be honest mate thats more or less what im about to do, except ive got a stone im going to use!

Nice to know it can be done!

Sign in to follow this