• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
suth82

Cylinder Honing

suth82

Hi,

I have just bought myself a cylinder honing tool so i can hone my liners before fitted my new piston rings. I have never done this before so would appreciate any tips.

Paul

jas-E

Make sure you use loads of lubrication - i used WD40. If you have a cleaning tank than i believe the solvents used for that should be ok. Also once you start keep moving the honer up and down the liner as fast as possible as if you go slowly it will just polish the surface of the liner which is not good (you want to replicate the cross hatchings you get on a new liner).

Dont over do it. Once the lip from the top of the liner is gone you should stop.

Sandy

Agree with above, you have to try and move up and down quite quickly with the drill on a slow speed, to achieve +/- 30 degrees from the horizontal.

I'm lucky enough now to have access to a machinist with a production standard CNC boring/honing machine which means for a few quid I can avoid this pain in the ass job!

Sign in to follow this