• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pacey205

Car Wont Start

pacey205

Right so this is the scene, occasionally I just get a click from the starter motor and it takes a couple of turns of the key to get tje starter turning, however it never fails to start. This is on an Mi by the way.

So I get up to go to work this morning and its bloody cold, get in the car and go to start and it just turns over and over, wont fire at all. Battery is getting flat from turning over so I give up as I need to get to work. Id left the heater on flat out from the night before when I started it which I immediately turned off whilst starting.

I havent been able to check fuel and spark as I was late but I think its safe to assume they are OK as I was driving it about yesterday evening. I will however check these when I get home. The battery should be reasonably charged, its getting on abit I guess but is it possible for the battery to be low enough not to give a decent spark but still enough to turn over (Welshpug had a post on this but there wasnt an answer).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Michael

simonb

Yes that is entirely possible in my opinion, but I would check the battery output with a multimeter first or simply try jump starting from another car. If it fires up, then there is your problem.

pacey205

Tried jumpstarting it earlier quickly but it was still refusing to fire although it may be that I didnt leave it along enough to charge the battery up to a decent level. I will get the multimeter on it later and see what reading I get out of it.

Michael

Simes

mines doing the same!

Turns over but doesn't fire.

I can smell petrol.

I will get out there and see if it's sparking.

jodycraw

Mine did this yesterday, the coil plug had come loose. I managed to bump start and it drove fine till it came off altogether....

jackherer
occasionally I just get a click from the starter motor and it takes a couple of turns of the key to get tje starter turning, however it never fails to start.

go to start and it just turns over and over, wont fire at all. Battery is getting flat from turning over

There is no connection between those two faults, the first one is low voltage to the solenoid on the starter, either a correded connection on the starter itself, the brown multiplug or the ignition barrel (or anywhere on the wiring inbetween). It could also be a starter fault but wiring is most likely.

The second fault, turning over and not firing followed by running down the battery is a different problem entirely. If the starter turns, even slowly, then the first fault is cured (temporarily, at least).

pacey205

So came home from work early today to have a look whilst still light. Double checked all the connections/fuses etc, battery had a good 12v across it so I thought Ill just turn it over and see what happens. Bosch, the bugger fired straight up with no effort at all. A good 14v across the battery at tickover so its charging properly, took her for a quick spin and all seemed fine.

So the only thing I can think of is that I had the fan on full this morning. When I put my fan on full there is an audible click from the dashboard (glovebox area) and the dash lights dim moentarily and then come back on again. Its done this for as long as I can remember but recently Ive noticed if you move the fan dial gently you can get to a point where it blows very feebly just before you get full power.

Any ideas ?

Edit: Jackherer I know those two arent conected I just thought Id include it. Ive already replaced the brown multiplug so its either the starter or the ignition barrerl, hopefully its the starter as I dont really want to mess about with the ignition barrell.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

AdamVester

disconnect battery..

get your hand under the inlet and disconect one of the wires going to the starter motor.. check that the end of the wire (the clip) isnt rusted and give it a clean put back on.. do this with all of them and it should start.. if that fails rock the car back and forwards a few times and try start it. more than likely its a crapped up lead going to starter motor its happend on my pug and 3 of my mates aswell..

pacey205

So she wont start again this morning, same thing just turns over and over but wont fire :) Did you have any luck with yours Simes ?

Michael

simonb

Unplug the conector to the ignition amp and give it a spray with some WD40. Give it a waggle too and try again. Mines doing this at the moment and its a daily routine of this until I can sort the connector out.

pacey205

Well after taking this morning off work I have been messing about. Spark didnt seem amazingly strong so whipped the distributor cap off to find that the central carbon conecctor from the coil pin looked a wee bit on the short side.

Current cap

dsc01826uj6.th.jpg

dsc01827te1.th.jpg

Picture of my old cap that epxloded for comparison

pb050240wd9.th.jpg

So GSF Leicester have a new cap in stock which Im going to get tomorrow and we will see if that makes a difference (should do). I will also check out the ignition amp connector simon although I do reguarly go round the connectors and give a clean/squirt but its worth checking.

Michael

Edited by pacey205

Dream Weaver

It's also worth adding a new relay to the starter circuit to solve issue 1 - I know I always punt this on every non starter thread, but mine used to do that dreadful clicking and it really annoyed me - since adding the new relay it now starts sweet as a nut every single time :)

Check my sig for the Emerald wiring diagram, which shows the relay - you just need a 40a relay, a fuse and some wire and it's all done - I added mine into the small black box under the bonnet near the windscreen, where the driving light relay lives.

Simes
So she wont start again this morning, same thing just turns over and over but wont fire :) Did you have any luck with yours Simes ?

Michael

Just charged the battery up again, going to test the voltage at the fuel pump. Everything else seems to be in order.

Also noticed that my dizzy cap is buggered so that maybe the cause - the carbon bit has vanished!

Edited by Simes

Simes

I'm getting a spark and the fuel pump is running also.

Got me stumped, probably going to have to call someone out.

Just going to whip the plugs out first though to see whether it has flooded.

Simes

It starts!!

I suspect I fixed the original problem without realising. during that time the engine must have flooded. Plugs were very wet so I removed them and cranked her over to blow the fuel out.

Bought a new Dizzy cap as mine was in a worse state and also treated her to some new plugs.

Cranked her over for about 30 seconds and finally a glimmer of catching turned into a magnificent sound.

Went for a quick spin - wow forgotten how lively the car is especially after driving the CC around. :):blink::)

pacey205

Mine also appears to be sorted as well. Got the new dizzy cap and she fired up straight away. She even fired up first thing this monring so hopefully it will be all done.

Michael

Stu

Glad its sorted bud, how fookin' expensive are the dizzy caps though!!??

pacey205

Not that bad actually. GSf cost me £26 inc the VAT and it came with the triangular spacer as well. The rotor arm however is the same price which does seem to be a tad on teh pricey side. However I now have one cap with a decent carbon conatact and a big hoel in the body, and one with a good body and no carbon contact. Hence Im going to make myself a spare lol.

Michael

GLPoomobile
Not that bad actually. GSf cost me £26 inc the VAT and it came with the triangular spacer as well. The rotor arm however is the same price which does seem to be a tad on teh pricey side. However I now have one cap with a decent carbon conatact and a big hoel in the body, and one with a good body and no carbon contact. Hence Im going to make myself a spare lol.

Michael

Randomly searching eBay a while back out of boredom, I managed to pick up a brand new, sealed rotor arm for pennies. Think it cost about £4 once I'd paid for the postage. Permission to fell smug, sir? :D

KRISKARRERA

I too once managed to get a nice bargain cap, arm and base plate on ebay for just £16 - Genuine Peugeot items too.

Rob_the_Sparky

Don't be so confident that it is fixed, ignition amps can do this when they are dying. Perfectly fine then occasionally and inexplicably won't start.

Also worth checking is the wire from the dizzy to the ignition amp as an intermittant connection in here can also do this.

Good luck...

pacey205

Just to round this off the car has been starting with no issues ever since replacing the dizzy cap, although I am going to keep an eye on it.

Michael

Sign in to follow this