• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damien

Faint Stop Light

damien

driving home tonight and i noticed that my stop light/oil pressure/water temp lights where on but very dim, they would only show when the car is at idle and they go away as soon as you start moving.

the rest of the car seems to be running fine so im guessing it mite be something to do with the battery but it seems to be holding its charge ok. would it be worth me changing it or am i barking at the wrong tree?

thanks

(just noticed ive put this in the wrong forum, mods feel free to move to the right one, thanks)

Edited by damien

pug_ham

Can't say I've heard of it before so not sure what to suggest.

Are the engine earths in good condition & the alternator is giving a decent (13.5+v) charge?

Graham.

damien

swapped the battery for the one out my gti6 and things seem to be getting worse.

when the car is moving at low rpm the lights are on but faint but when you stop they are on fully, i did also notice when at low speed/low rpm you go over speed humps/round courners the lights go off which makes me think that something is lose, did also notice the fan belt/aux belt is screeching like a gooden when at low rpm but the belt isnt loose.

will have a look later today (if i get up before it get dark) to see what charge the alternator is giving out

CaptainK

Out of interest, what pressure does your oil pressure gauge read when its at idle?

My 1.9 205 does EXACTLY the same as you describe - at warm idle it sometimes gently flickers / faintly turns on the STOP/oil pressure warning light/water temp light etc.

I know exactly why mine is - the oil pump is knackered and apparently has been for a while (I apparently have very low oil pressure at warm idle). Its also mildly kippered the bottom end of my engine and the bearings are on the way out.

Still drives fine though and the oil pressure does increase with revs. So I don't use it much at the moment until I can get it properly fixed (in the form of an engine transplant).

CaptainK

You have more warm idle pressure than I do when its cold or when I rev it lots when its warm. :)

Does the alternator light come on as well?

I'm just paranoid about oil pressures now, so is there any chance you could get a "third party" oil pressure check? In the form of another gauge or get a garage to check it (which is what I did). Have you checked the oil pressure sender for the STOP light? I think its the smaller of the two oil pressure senders and is a different one to the one used for the oil pressure gauge. the STOP light one could be faulty, thus flickering the STOP lights. Just a thought - obviously it could be nothing to do with oil, but I'm just mentioning my recent experience. :o

damien

think you mite be right about the oil problem.

just been outside and cleaned up all the earth points, done up the fan belt and let the car to idle.

the alternator is pumping out between 13.5 and 14 and the battery is holding around the same.

the lights are becoming brighter when at idle but only come on when the engine is warm (which makes me think oil) also if going over speed humps/courners the lights go out (again thinking oil).

i did have a look at the dipstick and there seems to be the right amount and i changed the oil about 2k ago.

im going to start thinking the worse and guess that like you said the oil pump is on its way out/gone. she is my everyday car at the moment so i cant really have her off the road so any ideas on how long it would take to replace it? how long could i go about driving the car before the engine gives way?

ive attched a pic of the lights on -

post-4891-1196181623_thumb.jpg

pug_ham

I'd try a different oil pressure switch if you can rather than condemn the engine or oil pump.

How much difference is ther between the engine running & stopped in brightness of the lights?

I've seen them not work at all with the engine running or stopped & if its the original one with 163k on it could be on its last legs.

Graham.

damien
I'd try a different oil pressure switch if you can rather than condemn the engine or oil pump.

How much difference is ther between the engine running & stopped in brightness of the lights?

I've seen them not work at all with the engine running or stopped & if its the original one with 163k on it could be on its last legs.

Graham.

there is a big difference in the brightness, brighter with the engine off but the more i use the car the brighter the lights are becoming as if to say the problem is getting worse.

ive had a look in the paperwork and i cant find anything to say that the pump has been changed and in 7 years ive never had it done.

where is the oil pressure switch? a pic would be helpful.

on another note i found a bolt on the drive by the drivers side wheel, after doing a search for "oil pump" afew people have said about pully bolts being lose, could this bolt have something to do with it?

abit simple an't i?

this is the bolt i found

post-4891-1196185453_thumb.jpg

pug_ham

That bolt is far to small for the one that people mention being loose & causing low oil pressure. Its the main crank pulley bolt which has a 21mm head & is over 3" long. Check the thread of that bolt but I think if its an M7 it could be from the engine end plate. If its not then it might be one from the cambelt cover.

3822sensors.jpg

Stop sender is the one on the left.

Oil pump can be done in a day, all it need is the oil draining & the sump taking off.

Graham.

CaptainK

Oh dear... doesn't sound too good you've got a similar oil problem to me.

Mine is thankfully not my only car, so I have alternatives. Just no money to fix the 205 at the moment. Doh!

damien

anyone know where i can get the sender unit? just had a look at peugeot and its not cheap -

post-4891-1196270349_thumb.jpg

GLPoomobile

The price of the Pug oil pressure sender is an absolute joke. And not a funny one! For about £40 quid I got a TIM oil pressure gauge which comes with a sender. I haven't used it yet, but I believe TIM have an OK reputation and it can;t be much worse than the dodgy OE sender and gauge!

GLPoomobile
TIM?

Yes, TIM ;)TIM gauges

Did you think I was referring to some random bloke or something? :lol:

Pob
ahhh i just of never heard of TIM before

For a replacement pressure sender, Intermotor 53800 £20 inc Vat, fixed my gauge problem. You should be able to get it from a local Motorfactors.

Dan

Sign in to follow this