• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danpug

Need Help To Find A Turbo Part

danpug

Hi all. I've got a nissan 300zx turbo for my conversion. I need to find the part that goes between the turbo and the downpipe, the flange type part that bolts to the side of the turbo. Can't seem to find one anywhere, i need it to modify to fit my exhaust system. Anybody have any suggestions of where to find one?

danpug

Thanks, good site and prices! I'm a bit confused with what i would need though.

sonofsam

Dont forget Import tax & duty :wacko: If you can find one on EbayUSA and ask for it to be marked as a 'gift' you may get away with it though!

What Turbo is it, T28? , Does it have internal wastegate penny valve on the exhaust side?

danpug

Its a t25 with internal wastegate. No idea what a penny valve is but i'm guessing its the flap attacted to the actuator?

sonofsam

Dan, you would need a T25 discharge flange then, a few types available have a browse on ebay.com.

Some you can get with a V-band adaptor already welded on, so you simply weld another V-band adaptor to your downpipe

and attached with a V-band, wich is basically like a oversized jubilee clip.

The one below would need an exhaust elbow butt welded up against it, or weld on a V-band, how you set up the downpipe is upto you though really,

watch out for too cheap items though as they arent all that so I've heard!

49b8_1.jpg

4b55_1.jpg

There are also another few methods including divorced or external wastegates, probably unnnesacary though for what you want..

Lots of info on the net too about these if you have a google for discharge flange im sure you will get a better idea of what you need,

although I hope I have helped ! :rolleyes:

danpug

So (if i'm following you right!) i need to purchase a t25 discharge flange which goes on the turbo, this then attaches to the v band connector which is welded to the downpipe?

Edited by danpug

sonofsam

No, just one discharge flange.

You dont have to have V-band, see below.

Exhaust20tip-450.jpg

V bands look like this :

016_vband_adapter_4bult.gif

1 would get welded to the discharge flange and 1 would get welded on the end of your exhaust downpipe, attach together with a V-band clamp.

danpug

So i could just buy a discharge flange, get a 90 degree bent pipe welded onto it then attach that to the downpipe through whatever means?

Edited by danpug

sonofsam
So i could just buy a discharge flange, get a 90 degree bent pipe welded onto it then attach that to the downpipe through whatever means?

Yes I dont see any reason why not, just use decent quality stainless steel elbows, and a pro. to TIG it up nicely.

As by jove it will get hot! I have some 316 grade stainless steel elbows that im keeping to use(one day maybe!) on my T3 Turbo and discharge flange wich has V-band adaptor cast into it, aswell as actuator lever and penny valve. see below:

t35.jpg

Got that Off ebay from USA.

danpug

Right think i'll go that route then, you can get 90 degree elbows in 316 grade for cheap enough off ebay. Thanks alot for your help sam, and stop talking about the t3, just bloody do it! :)

danpug

Oh, what size bend will i need?

sonofsam
Oh, what size bend will i need?

All depends what size the exit hole is on the discharge flange,, usually 2" or 2.5" I would guess.

Edited by sonofsam

danpug

Thanks alot.

sonofsam

No worries Dan, glad I could help!

Im not putting it on till the T25 goes pop :)

danpug

Lightweight :) On some of the flanges the part where the wastegate flap thingy has a hole there whereas the one in your pic hasn't, whats that all about?

sonofsam
Lightweight :) On some of the flanges the part where the wastegate flap thingy has a hole there whereas the one in your pic hasn't, whats that all about?

Lightweight?! Hahaha I dont think so, maybe you should try fitting an iron block engine on your own with NO crane twice ;):D

Different Turbo have different arragements. The extra hole can used for a divorced wastegate. (or a screamer pipe) where as the gasses from the wastegate

meet the exhaust further down the pipe work in a secondary pipe as to not create turbelence behind the impeller, so it spools quicker.

(or in the screamer pipe - vent to atmos.)

You do of course need a wedge between the impeller and wastegate opening.

danpug

Ok so ideally i need one like in the picture, the only ones i can find on ebay like that are mild steel though.And good effort on the iron block! :)

sonofsam
Ok so ideally i need one like in the picture, the only ones i can find on ebay like that are mild steel though.And good effort on the iron block! :)

Yes, divorced and external wastegates are just extra bling that you dont really need unless you a very serious about it...

I personally would keep looking and wait for a stainless or cast item to turn up, took me some time to track mine down.

danpug

Will do. Cheers.

whizzer71
No worries Dan, glad I could help!

Im not putting it on till the T25 goes pop :)

Thats a bad idea Sam ,you ever seen how many bits a turbo impellor fragments into when it lets go,let alone the amount of oil that gets blown down all the intercooler pipes and through the intercooler itself ,and down the exhaust it sure aint pretty and takes for ever to clear up !

bales
Thats a bad idea Sam ,you ever seen how many bits a turbo impellor fragments into when it lets go,let alone the amount of oil that gets blown down all the intercooler pipes and through the intercooler itself ,and down the exhaust it sure aint pretty and takes for ever to clear up !

I have always been told that that is a bit of a myth actually and it is pretty rare for the impellers to break in that manner...my turbo has had a fair bit of play in it for a while now and took it to a very knowlegable garage who said that it would fine for a long time even when they are slightly worn. Unless of course you are running at higher boost and out of its effciency range causing compressor surge which puts a hell of a lot of load on the bearings....

whizzer71
I have always been told that that is a bit of a myth actually and it is pretty rare for the impellers to break in that manner...my turbo has had a fair bit of play in it for a while now and took it to a very knowlegable garage who said that it would fine for a long time even when they are slightly worn. Unless of course you are running at higher boost and out of its effciency range causing compressor surge which puts a hell of a lot of load on the bearings....

We see 1 to 2 a month that self destruct its rare that they stay in 1 piece,always results in a serious mess ! (French based product other than PSA group) ,and what makes it more shocking is that theyre normally within the warranty period :D .

Also done 3 at our Skoda site within the past year 2 of those had disintergrated the other had sheared the actual shaft,to be fair though I think they were the only cars we had as proper break downs,all the others were down to stupid people putting petrol in their Diesels !

:lol:

sonofsam

Sounds very bad Tris, I can imagine as I've been infront of shattering tools on a lathe! but it wasnt to be taken so literally, it's more of a contingency plan for when it starts smoking shall we say?! Or for when the longevity of the Turbo is compromised running 1bar, either way much thanks for thinking of me :D

Sign in to follow this