• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Compiling Info On Steel Wheels (steelies)

GLPoomobile

Before I start, can I ask that you do not reply with negative comments about the appearance of steel wheels? If you don't like them, fine, keep it to yourself.

I know there's been a few topics about these wheels before, but none of the info is compiled in one place, so I thought I'd start a new topic so hopefully we can put everything in here :)

So this is what I've found from searching:

The following are actually alloy wheels, but look like steelies. They are all 15" diam and 6" wide, and I think they are all ET19, so basically a direct replacement on the 205.

GTi6 steel wheels - part number 5401 H7 - £33.80 each inc VAT

C5 steel wheels - part number 5401 L7 - £67.28 each inc VAT

C5 steel wheels - part number 5401 C1 - £34.85 each inc VAT

Tapered wheel bolts* - part number 5405 72 - £2.61 each inc VAT

*all the steelies require tapered bolts except an earlier version of wheel that was discontinued due to issues.

I've listed 2 versions of the C5 wheel above. These are the ones I've found mentioned when trawling previous posts, but there are actually quiet a few other versions too.

Weight:

The weight of the C5 steelie is just over 4kg (sorry, I forgot to note the exact weight which is shown in the Definitive Weights topic, but I'm sure someone will add it to this topic B) ), which is half the weight of a 15" Speedline.

But can anyone tell us which of the 2 C5 wheels listed above this weight applies to, or do they both weigh this little?

And does anyone know the weight of the GTi6 steelie listed above?

Center caps:

Can anyone tell me what center caps can be used with these wheels? Do the standard Speedline center caps fit? There are some listed on Servicebox but I don't know which would be correct.

Pictures:

Does anyone have any good pictures of these wheels that show them in detail? Pref on a 205? The 306 wheels look like a deeper dish but it's hard to tell. Here's a couple of the most useful pics taken from previous topics:

post-6307-1203336327_thumb.jpg

post-6307-1203336345_thumb.jpg

GLPoomobile

GTi6:

post-6307-1203336424_thumb.jpg

C5 (5401 L7):

post-6307-1203336451_thumb.jpg

C5 (5401 C1, item 10):

post-6307-1203336471_thumb.jpg

Edited by GLPoomobile

welshpug

The more expensive of the two C5 wheels is the Alloy one the cheaper was shown to differentiate apologies if this caused confusion :)

The cheaper one is near identical to the gti6 spare wheel, I'm unsure of the weight of these two although I do have one with a part worn 195 55 15 tyre that I can weigh later on this afternoon (I can compare this to a Speedline at the same time)

(dependent on age the gti6 steel has steel inserts pressed in to alloy the use of the flat faced bolts as used by the standard fit Cyclone wheel)

tom_m

you can't use centre caps with steelies.

and unless i'm mistaken the gti6 spares weigh more than 1.9 alloys, so no benefits there really

GLPoomobile
and unless i'm mistaken the gti6 spares weigh more than 1.9 alloys, so no benefits there really

I think this reference to the 'spare' wheel of the GTi6 keeps confusing matters. I don't know anything about these cars, but if you look on Servicebox, the wheel that this is referred to as a spare for the GTi6 is a different part number. Although I have just noticed that both appear to be genuine steel wheels. I'm getting more and more confused now :lol:

Another thing I've just noticed....... I inserted an image above for the GTi6 wheel, 5401 H7. I've just realised that this is not correct. Well it sort of is, it is a Citroen wheel with the same part number (I assumed they'd be the same bloody part :) !). The GTi6 steel with part number 5401 H7 looks like the one below. The weird thing is, it's the same part number, and the same price through Pug and Citroen, so maybe the picture is wrong B)

Correct image of GTi6 steel (item 3):

post-6307-1203341971_thumb.jpg

Edited by GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile

f***s sake :) !!!

Have a search on Pug Service box for part number 5401 H7. There's about 3 different images available for this wheel, the one above with no holes, the one in my first post with lots of holes, and one for the Partner with less holes (but bigger ones) B) And sometimes it's referred to as Steel and sometimes as Ally and sometimes as Alloy.

I'm waiting for GTI6BOY to join the party since he has GTI6 steels on his CTi.

GLPoomobile

The GTi6 SPARE is part 5401 86 (unless someone can see otherwise) and is £70.62!

welshpug

you CAN use centre caps with the steel/steel look wheels, use partner van/106 rallye items, a tenner each though.

Anulfo

Just compared the steely's on the fitters at work's berlingo van to the spare on a guys 306gti-6!!!!Look pretty darn similar to me!!!!

Anulfo
you can't use centre caps with steelies.

Hmmmm???? Not sure what scales you were using to compare the weight of the two wheels?

welshpug
Just compared the steely's on the fitters at work's berlingo van to the spare on a guys 306gti-6!!!!Look pretty darn similar to me!!!!

did you count the holes? the size IIRC will be stamped near the bolts or around the outer edge somewhere.

jonnygoodhand
you CAN use centre caps with the steel/steel look wheels, use partner van/106 rallye items, a tenner each though.

I've read elsewhere that the usual centre caps (as seen on 205 steels and 205/106 rallyes) will not fit the C5 wheels. Think the post was on 106rallyeregister, from the owner of this car:

DSC00162%20(Medium).JPG

However, I've just come across this pic with the new, Partner Van style (albeit citroen items in this case) centre caps fitted - so maybe this style will only fit...

imgp1504a.jpg

Anulfo

Yup sure did 6J 15,ET 19

welshpug

306 gti6 (xsara VTS in this case) spare wheel, the type with the inserts, WITH half worn Goodyear Eagle NCT5 195 55 15 tyre 17.1 Kilos

pict0176ps5.th.jpg

pict0178qb8.th.jpg

pict0177yx5.th.jpg

Gentrix

This is how they look close up.

And again - please ignore the VW Centercaps - I just found out, they fit fine and the vw badge could be smoothed out.

There are always a few on german ebay - search for Citroen C5 - then go for "felgen und Reifen" usually they go for around 90 Euro a set incl. tires.

But as you see on my 205 the tiresize is wrong - they are 205/60 15 and won´t fit in the arches.

To be sure it´s the right rim, go for the manufacturer number.

These wheels are made by Kronprinz

and PS 815008 is the old one which got recalled and isn´t allowed to use anymore

PS 815011 is the right one.

post-5053-1203366193_thumb.jpg

post-5053-1203366184_thumb.jpg

welshpug

Gentrix where did you obtain those part numbers as they do not exist on Citroen's parts files?!

DaveW

I have 15' steels on my 306 xsi, you can also use the 6'wide 14' rallye steelie they fit over 266mm brakes, i can take some pictures of the 15's if you would like? im not sure if my standard xs/rallye centre/hub nut caps will fit but il will dig em out and try one.

Gentrix
Gentrix where did you obtain those part numbers as they do not exist on Citroen's parts files?!

they are the orginal partnumbers and KBA numbers from the manufacturer "Kronprinz" Kronprinz is german and therefor they need a KBA number to legitimate their wheels. It is like a general MOT for the wheels. KBA is Kraftfahrtbundesamt (damn that sounds really german)

And the numbers are stamped on the outer edge of the rim. I can make a close up picture of the number in the next days

andi

GLPoomobile
I put 4 gti-6 spare wheels on stock order (3 days) Cost £120 all in.

I had to have the gti-6 spare as i have gti-6 brakes.

Part number is 5401h7

You need tappered bolts with these wheels

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/gti6boy/26.jpg

As I said before, there is some confusion as to what the spare wheel is. The H7 part number relates to a wheel that is on the 306 and Partner and various Citroens, and I still can't work out if it's a proper steel wheel or an alloy steelalike.

The wheel that is actually referred to as the spare for the GTI6 has a different number and price (more expensive!) as per my earlier post.

GTI6BOY, no offense, I have no doubt you know more about this than I do and the wheels you have are obviously H7s, but going purely on the servicebox data

, which is all I can do, this just doesn't make sense. I've never seen a GTI6 with steels on, and don't know why they'd have them other than the spare, so did they use the H7 and the other part number for the spare depending on year?

gti_al
I put 4 gti-6 spare wheels on stock order (3 days) Cost £120 all in.

I had to have the gti-6 spare as i have gti-6 brakes.

Part number is 5401h7

You need tappered bolts with these wheels

406 steelies are the right offset too, and fit over 283mm brakes. I've got a set of them...

Does that help complicate things?

welshpug

the earlier spare wheel (as pictured) had inserts to allow for the use of std flat face type bolts, these were ditched mid Phase 3 in favour of the more common tapered seat when the cyclone wheel was modified to use a tapered bolt (which is the H7 wheel)

they are both steel, as for why you don't see a gti6 with a steel wheel on its purely down to the fact that its a spare wheel and sits under the back of the car (my ZX16v is the same-steel spare, as is my brother's 306 DTurbo, though on 14"s)

welshpug
406 steelies are the right offset too, and fit over 283mm brakes. I've got a set of them...

Does that help complicate things?

nope, as they're steel and weigh too much :blush:

GLPoomobile
the earlier spare wheel (as pictured) had inserts to allow for the use of std flat face type bolts, these were ditched mid Phase 3 in favour of the more common tapered seat when the cyclone wheel was modified to use a tapered bolt (which is the H7 wheel)

they are both steel, as for why you don't see a gti6 with a steel wheel on its purely down to the fact that its a spare wheel and sits under the back of the car (my ZX16v is the same-steel spare, as is my brother's 306 DTurbo, though on 14"s)

So what you are saying is that even though Servicebox only lists one of the two wheels as a Spare, they are actully both spare wheels but from different years, with the H7 being the later type?

welshpug

Indeedy, the earlier wheel used I guess would have been a specific item due to the inserts, the later one not so due to its standard dimensions.

you could see if Servicebox confirms this if you could find the VIN for an S16 or early GTi6 and see what it filters out.