• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

tonycj

Can I Get Locks Altered To Suit Different Keys?

tonycj

ive got two keys that i need for my car, one for the ignition, locks and diesel cap and one for the glove box.

What i want to know is, is it possible to get the glovebox lock altered to suit the other locks?

Then ill have one key for the whole car!

Simple!

Cheers,

Tony.

DamirGTI

Hello !

Yes it could be done , I've made a few of my locks so that i can open all of them with just one key ... but it's not so easy job ..

You need to dismantle the lock/cylinder and reposition the balls (each ball is of various/different length ..) inside the lock/cylinder so that they permit opening of the lock according to the new key tooth shape – it's a tweezers and patience job ! because the parts are very small and it's on a bit of trial and error basis until you finally set/match the right combination for the key tooth shape ..

When you remove the lock , on top of it you'll see a little cap sealed around with an epoxy glue - cut the glue around the cap and lift it very carefully upwards (and i mean carefully as if you don't do this gently the balls will fall out from the cap and the cylinder and you'll have a problem finding them afterwards !) and then , when you open up the cap you'll see one line of balls inside the cap and one line of balls inside the cylinder , each ball inside is hole .. :

pics :

IMG_6659.jpg

IMG_6658.jpg

The rest is up to you how much patience you'll have with this job :)

Rgs ! B)

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

DrSarty

Damir,

signs130.gif

we are simply not worthy.

Rich

DamirGTI

Hello !

Why not ? ;) I'm sure that most of you guys can do this lock/key conversion but as said it's job for people with patience and good nerves B) try it out , as it's a good amusement instead of watching some boring TV program :blush: .. like puzzle game B)

Regards !

Damir

cybernck

...and i was going to reply "sure, but you'll need a professional to do it" :ph34r::).

Paintguy
...and i was going to reply "sure, but you'll need a professional to do it" :ph34r::).

That's the easiest way :)

I've done quite a few myself on various models of car, but my best mate is a Master Locksmith, so I usually just give them to him :D

AdamVester

just go down to the scrappy and buy some new locks ;).

Henry Yorke

I have done this with a petrol cap lock before, but I just left all the pins out so any 205 key would fit!