• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ifcho

Xu7jp4 Pulley

ifcho

Hi,

I noticed that 1.8 16V have adjustable pulleys on both cams and they cost only 25 euros from the stealers.

So instead of making a new one, or purchasing one from catcams for much more money, I was wondering if I could use one of these.

It has 32 teeth, but that the only info I have for it (and I don't know how much teeth the xu5 pulley has as I'm at work at the moment..)

welshpug

they're the same as XU10 adjustable pulley if it helps your search

(same number of teeth and width as an XU9J4 and TUD5 pulley as well)

ifcho

I thought that they were the same, however they are listed with different ref. no's.

it's not the problem of finding it, I'm just wondering if it will fit, cause the dealers don't have one in stock, and I have to wait for them to deliver it (and pay for it)..and I don't want to find that it does not fit my engine after all :-)

tony perks

You can fit them i have one on my rally car , But they have a different offset and are wider to use 1" belt, to fit to mine i made a new centre hub which was 9mm wider than the original to push the pully out to the inner wing side. I am using one not cus it was cheaper but because we had an issue of a race engine shredding belts so we upgraded to a 1" belt,plus Mi16 r/h tensioner, and have had no trouble since, but to use you also use the Mi 16 bottom crank pully assy, and the std tensioner alignment must be altered, and the engine mount needs relieving too, and then the alternator needs moving across to the Mi 16 offset, A lot of work but the extra reliabilty we found is worth it.

pug_ham

I've just replaced the water pump on a friends car this week & fitted a TUD5 vernier pulley to a 1.6 GTi while it was apart as the head has previouslky been skimmed so the timing hole didn't line up once the belt was tensioned correctly. :) (it was approx half a tooth out before fitting this vernier).

I tuned the pulley down on a mates lathe to make it the same width as the XU5 pulley but once it was fitted the back of the hub & bolts were catching on the cover plate that bolts behind the pulley to the head. I used my mates lathe again today & turned the back of the hub down also trimming the bolts so it all clears now. I also filed one of the holes in the outer edge of the pulley so it now lines up with the timing hole on the head without any problems.

Once the rad is refilled tomorrow I'll be firing it up again & see if everything runs as normal again, plud if there is any noticable difference in performance.

I got my pulley from a local scrapyard for £5. :)

Graham.

Sign in to follow this