• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Rear Bumper Mounting Point Ripped Off.

davemar

The other morning when the weather was bad I had to squeeze past some stupid bint in a Chelsea tractor in a narrow country lane. In the process a fallen tree branch caught under my rear bumper and half pulled it off. When I got home the mounting point on the left side just behind the wheel had ripped clean off the body. There was clearly was a bit of rust around it, so it was probably a tad weaker than it should have been. So there's more to replacing the bumper than buying it and fitting it with the 4 screws and bolt. I need to replace the missing piece of metal somehow. Is it seperate item that can be bolted/welded on, or am I going to have to make one from scratch and weld it on?

Women in 4x4s! Grrrrrr! :blush:

pug_ham

I think its part of the original panel so you'll need to make something & weld or fasten it on in some way.

I've got the same problem on mine from when I tagged a wall last December after spinning on ice.

Graham.

M_R_205

If you like, show me exactley what part you need and il cut it off a spare/scrap shell i have hopefuly you both dont need the same side :excl: obviously if mines rusty i cant help, but worth a look

Edited by M_R_205

Toddy
I think its part of the original panel so you'll need to make something & weld or fasten it on in some way.

I've got the same problem on mine from when I tagged a wall last December after spinning on ice.

Graham.

You can buy one side from peugeot which is around £7 as mine had both rusted through the other side is obsolete so will need fabricating.

They are spot welded to the inner arch, both sides & outer quarter panel, then need undersealing etc.

pug_ham
You can buy one side from peugeot which is around £7 as mine had both rusted through the other side is obsolete so will need fabricating.

Any idea of a part numbert for the one that is avaialble?

I need the drivers side one but I'll have a look at some of the 205's in my local scrapyard tomorrow when I go across to get some hubs for my STDT.

Graham.

davemar

They are spot welded to the inner arch, both sides & outer quarter panel, then need undersealing etc.

Only one side and not the other? Typical Peugeot with their bonkers stock control system!

Would the part number be: 8513 64 according to http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/8/85F10A.HTM ?

pug_ham

8513 64 is left handside, I need the right which is 8514 57, £9.28. (left is £10.25 if available)

I hope thats the one they still stock, in servicebox it has another code below it (LE-0411)

01;

8513 64 01 WING INNER FRAM LEFT

8514 57 LE-0411 01 RIGHT

I'll phone my local Pug dealers tomorrow.

Graham.

post-71-1205779816_thumb.jpg

davemar

My Pug dealer has got the left one on order for me, it'll take a couple of days longer than normal to deliver he told me as it is a rarer part.

I had a rummage around under there today and the hole where the rubber pipe passes through was very rusty and I pulled a lot of it away. Hopefully the new part will cover this missing metal. Looks like I'll need to cut some parts back. There was so much crap stuck in that area, it was like a massive compost heap, no wonder it rusted!

It looks like one of those awkward upside-down sort of jobs.

Thanks for offering to chop bits off, M_R_205, but for the sake of a tenner, a new part should be less hassle.

pug_ham

Your lucky Dave, the one I need (8514 57) isn't available any longer. ;)

Looks like I'll be making another viist to the scrapyard next week to try & get a decent one. :P

Graham.

davemar

That's a bugger, and strange that they've discontinued one side.

Surely it can't be that hard to make one from some sheet steel cut and folded in the right places?

When I get this part, I'll try and draw a template from it. I assume one side is the mirror of the other,

davemar

The part has turned up, so I have taken a picture of it; and drawn a template from it.

I poked my head under the car to see how it fits (in between the hail storms!), and it looks like I'll have to

take a lot of metal off to get it in. The bit that sticks out looks the most awkward to deal with as it looks

like I'll have to cut a slot to get it in.

2003131183454187758_th.jpg

2003166349975746088_th.jpg

Grim.Badger

Stupid flimsy parts ;) I was stripping my 205 down and found that all four had rusted away to the point where almost all the untouched metal was gone. It is worth caking the damn things in Hammerite once they are on; although I have to admit my last 205, a base model J reg, had immaculate ones.

pug_ham

Thanks dave, it looks like trying tomaske one for the opposite side would be a fun game.

Hopefully Paul (M_R_205) will have a good one on a scrap shell.

If it stops raining for a day I'll make another visit to my local scrapyard & see if they have a decent one on any of the 205's in there.

Graham.

pug_ham

Good news, I managed to find a suitable bracket for my car (Thanks TT205 & spike :o) & cut it from the shell (older than my car but the bracket was in far better condition :o).

ttbbjw9.th.jpg

I cleaned it up, drilled the old spot welds out as best I could & after waiting for a decent days weather when my mate was off work so we could do the welding.

Finally got it fitted today.:D

brackettz3.th.jpg

bracket2qi3.th.jpg

Did a bit of tidying up & got a coat of paint on so it looks a bit better again.

bracket3fh9.th.jpg

Sealant time tomorrow for under the arch to replace where I scraped it off & as far inside behind the light as I can get to try to stop any water getting in making it rust out again.

Don't fancy trying to replace it again after the tacking my mate did to hold it in. :lol:

If I'd had the fasteners from work I think I'd have used Hi-locs to fit it instead so it could be removed easily if ever needed.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this