• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ChrisG

Another Brown Multiplug Question!

ChrisG

I've recently bought a converted Mi16 loom but typically nothing is labelled.

It is in overall good condition but I wanted to tidy it up and check everything is in order.

I have been following AndyR's guide and Grim.Badgers diagrams which have been great but upon doing some tests on the loom found that some of the wires are not going to the places demonstrated in these guides.

I have altered Grim.Badgers pic to show how mine is, basically a couple of wires from the 9 and 6 pin plugs go to a 4 pin multiplug further down the loom.

Can someone confirm that this setup will still work or if I have to swap the wires to go elsewhere.

multiplugrevamp.jpg

There are other wires running to this plug but haven't worked out where these come from yet.

Chris ;)

pug_ham

From your diagram it looks like someone has taken the starter solenoid feed & the rev counter signal wire to the four pin plug, is that right?

It might work but you'll need the opposing side of the four pin plug & tbh its just extra wires so I'd change it back to normal.

Saying that the four pin plug might be the coil plug which might mean your starter solenoid is going from the six pin plug instead & the wire from the 9 pin plug is your switched live for the coil. ;)

Graham.

ChrisG

Cheers Graham, I'm away now for a couple of days but I'll check when I return and report back :blush:

Grim.Badger
Saying that the four pin plug might be the coil plug which might mean your starter solenoid is going from the six pin plug instead & the wire from the 9 pin plug is your switched live for the coil. :blush:

I would certainly say that this is the case, or I would at least be surprised if it is not. I stripped down a CTi loom where pin 9 on the 9-pin plug had a red and a yellow wire that had something to do with the tachometer and coil. Like this:

post-8041-1205920740_thumb.jpg

I expect that instead of two wires coming from the 9-pin plug like above, you have one where a wire is on each of the plugs. I would expect you starter solenoid wire to be on the 6-pin plug; its a big fat blue wire which you can't miss.

Edited by Grim.Badger

pug_ham

Hugh, wire 32a goes to the tachymetric relay from the same pin as the coil switched feed usually.

It has on all the looms I've done anyway.

Graham.

Grim.Badger
Hugh, wire 32a goes to the tachymetric relay from the same pin as the coil switched feed usually.

It has on all the looms I've done anyway.

Graham.

Cheers, I remembered after posting that it dissapeared up into the dash, I never traced it though so its good to know where it ended up. I can't remember what a P1 coil plug looks like but I think that the 4-pin plug is most likely that; I would then expect the starter solenoid wire to come from position 6 on the 6 pin plug.

ChrisG, could you update us once you have sorted it?

ChrisG

Yeah I'll let you know what I find out.

I've been crazy busy over the last week so haven't even been in my garage till tonight which is a pain as I need to get the car back on the road :lol:

Looking at the 9 pin plug pin9 used to have a red and yellow wire coming from it, but the yellow has been cut and the red taken to that 4 pin plug I mentioned before.

Problem is I'm crap with engine wiring so am still pretty lost :o

pug_ham
Looking at the 9 pin plug pin9 used to have a red and yellow wire coming from it, but the yellow has been cut and the red taken to that 4 pin plug I mentioned before.

In that case our prediction above is partially correct, they've used the main ignition switched feed (wire 2a red) as one wire in the four pin brown plug you've found not the solenoid as initally thought.

Can you see a number anywhere on the blue wire that goes to the brown four pin plug? I'm just wondering if thats the starter solenoid feed & not the rev counter signal wire.

Graham.

ChrisG

I'm spending tomorrow working on the car so I'll see if I can see a no. on the wire <_<

ChrisG

Couldn't find a no. on the light blue wire :lol:

Looks like another similar coloured wire came from this pin in the multiplug, but its been snipped off???

Also is there any way of identifying which injector plug goes to which injector as they haven't been marked up :D

I've a feeling this loom is getting the better of me at the moment :)

Edited by ChrisG

pug_ham
Couldn't find a no. on the light blue wire :(

Looks like another similar coloured wire came from this pin in the multiplug, but its been snipped off???

Also is there any way of identifying which injector plug goes to which injector as they haven't been marked up :(

Is the blue wire thin (same as most others) or thicker?

Saying that though, after looking at the 8v loom behind me the light blue wire is the rev counter wire. The solenoid wire is a dark blue & clearly thicker.

Injectors are batch fired so order isn't important, given th age of the wire now they are probably slightly formed into the positions they were removed from.

Graham.

ChrisG

Its the same size as most of the other wires Graham.

Tomorrow when I get in from work I'm going to have a really good look at it again so I can give you as much info as possible :)

pug_ham

If its same size as others & not noticably thicker I'd say its the rev counter wire personally.

The starter solenoid wire is about double the thickness, as you can see in this picture.

Graham.

ChrisG

Graham - suprise suprise I didn't get a good look at the loom today, though I have practically removed the standard loom from my car.

Just wondering, is there a way of getting the old loom out without taking the dash out? I've got the multiplugs unplugged, the ecu off and pulled all the loom thru from the engine bay but I can't get the ecu and relay plug past the steering column. I even dropped the steering rack down but couldn't get it past the speedo cable ;)

In the end I had to leave it as light was getting bad but was ready to give up for the night anyway.

Chris :)

yorkshirekowboy
Graham - suprise suprise I didn't get a good look at the loom today, though I have practically removed the standard loom from my car.

Just wondering, is there a way of getting the old loom out without taking the dash out? I've got the multiplugs unplugged, the ecu off and pulled all the loom thru from the engine bay but I can't get the ecu and relay plug past the steering column. I even dropped the steering rack down but couldn't get it past the speedo cable :P

In the end I had to leave it as light was getting bad but was ready to give up for the night anyway.

Chris ;)

yeah pull it the other way... :) ,

pug_ham
Just wondering, is there a way of getting the old loom out without taking the dash out? I've got the multiplugs unplugged, the ecu off and pulled all the loom thru from the engine bay but I can't get the ecu and relay plug past the steering column.

If you've got the steering column dropped its not much more to loosen the dash to get it out, one nut underneath the dash, kinda airvent by the drivers door, the centre one under the small triangle panel in the middle ofthe dash & one (10mm nut) under the scuttle panel. That should allow enough movement to get the ecu plug out & the Mi ecu plug back in. It runs though a loom guide which clips together under the dash behind where the dials fit iirc but that spis easy enough by fnger pressure.

Still, expect a couple of scratches on your forearm reaching up to free it off but its not thet hard & at least when you refit it all you know the dash ins't as likely to squeek or rattle. :)

Graham.

ChrisG

Right, did some more on my new loom tonight as I may as well have it ready for when I finally remove the original.

I've done a diagram of what I found but please forgive me as I've had a couple of Rums and its nothing like as good as GrimBadgers.

This is how this loom has been converted.

wiring.jpg

If there is owt I've left out which will help I'll do my best to find out.

Just want to know if its ok to use like this or if its going to be easier to convert it to how GrimBadger has set it out in his diagram?

ChrisG

Anyone???

pug_ham

Chris, Try to find where the other two wires from pins 2 & 3 on the four pin brown plug go.

My guess is the ignition amp plug which means that plug is simply the coil plug & nothing needs changing imo.

So long as your other wires on your donor loom match up with the corresponding wires in the original loom then it should plug straight in & hopefully work. :)

What is the order of the wire on your cars two under dash brown multiplugs?

Graham.

ChrisG

Once again, sorry for the late reply, I've been ill and not really feeling like working in a cold garage :(

Graham, the wire I have labelled as going to pin 4 on the 4 pin plug really goes to pin 3 :mellow:, my mistake!

The lilac wire from pin 2 (can't find a number) goes to this multiplug further up the loom.

14042008029.jpg

The yellow wire (32) goes to this relay in the box of relays.

14042008028.jpg

Think at this rate its going to be easier for me to pay you a visit so you can check it out for yourself :P

Also found these thick white wires joined together outside the relay box, could anyone shed any light???

05042008025.jpg

Edited by ChrisG

pug_ham

Chris, the wire at pin 3 on the 4 pin plug sounds fine, coil switched feed so that should be OK.

The plug in your top picture is the ignition amplifier plug so that ties wioth the loom I have here (even though mine is from a BX so the colours don't match) & the route of the yellow wire is fine but you said it had been cut in a previous reply. Where does that wire originate from on a connection on the donor loom?

The soldered connections could be where someone has removed the inline fuses on the 405 loom but I can see one still inside the relay box (possibly fuel pump) so good question.

Maybe a trip across for it checking over & better joins doing on those white wires might not be a bad idea. I'm back at work on Sunday if thats any good?

Graham.

ChrisG

Graham, I'll have a look at the yellow wire tonight.

Can you PM me your no (managed to lose it since last time we spoke) and I'll arrange to pop across.

Chris :lol:

Sign in to follow this