• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MerlinGTI

El Cheapo Ignition Amps (gsf)

MerlinGTI

Hello

Fitted a HUCO Ignition amp today, Brand new from GSF. Fitted it in my lunch break (im a auto fitter by trade so done propley! paste etc...), didnt have time to test drive. Home time comes, 20 mile drive ahead and the car miss fired coughed and spluttered all the way home. What a pile of s*it.

I did read one guy on here had simular problems but the tight ass in me decided he must of been unlucky. Stump up the extra (almost double) for a genuine BOSCH item guys :wacko:

Ive put the old one back on with a clean up and some paste and its good as gold now.

Super Josh
Ive put the old one back on with a clean up and some paste and its good as gold now.

When ever I have had problems with ignition amps before, it has always been because the paste has dried out. New tube of heatsink compound from somewhere like Maplins for a few quid. And it's all sorted. :rolleyes:

Josh

Stu

I had the EXACT same thing with mine, and at the time i too thought that the people who had bad results were unlucky!

Got hold of a 2nd hand bosch unit and everything has been rosey ever since!

Miles

Very odd as I never use paste and have never had problems, I have seen loads of Pattern amps give problems and not even work out of the bag thou so I can see your point that using the Bosch ones is worth while

DamirGTI

"Intermotor" makes massive crap ignition amp's <_< and they are the most common "aftermarket replacement" in ordinary car part store (well at least over here ..) ...

Also i've been reading somewhere (can't remember where , was some 205 GTi book .. but not Haynes.) that Ducellier amp and Bosch coil combo can cause misfiring :)

Dunno about Huco amp :wacko: (didn't try one yet.. but it's like always - you get what you paid for)

Rgs ! B)

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

maturin23

I bought a 'pattern' one last weekend :wacko: - cost me £21

All well so far - had a couple of good thrashes last weekend.

DamirGTI

.. for that price you can buy two straight away :wacko:

I expect to pay from 50 up to 80.00quid for a proper quality ignition amp <_<

Damir :)

DirtyFlare

where can you get a bosch ignition amp from?

MerlinGTI

I went on the bosch auto website, then looked for an authrosised dealer near me.

Stu

ebay, they pop up from time to time.

KRISKARRERA

If they're so crap it makes me wonder how they manage to continue selling them!

taylorspug

Or if they actually tested them for any length of time before they put them on sale!

Alastairh

I have no time for cheapo amps.

Reminds me of the weekend i did Ben Allens Mi conversion. With the cheapo amp un touched and working in his 8 valve, then once the Mi was in, plugged it all in, checking all pins were clean and not fallen through as per usual. Started up, running like a bag of s*ite because this cheapo amp didn't like the Mi, despite the normal Bosch ones you can swap across the Peugeot range no problems. Swapped a Bosch one over and it worked fine. :)

So yeah, just use a normal Bosch one. I've got loads of bloody things from pocketing them in the scrappy :lol:

Rom

You guys make me spend more and more money with every thread i read :) Think mine has an Intermotor one on it

/me adds ot the list of things to replace

I need to get to more scrappys and join the Liberation Front !!

Edited by RKKRom

davemar

I keep my eyes open for Bosch ones in scrappies, buy never find any cars with that type of ignition amp (205 GTis are rare as an unfinished plate of food in the Prescott household). I recently bought a new unmarked one (assume not Bosch for the price), and it's been OK so far, but hardly driving the car since it's been fitted).

Stu

Ive still got the shonky second hand Bosch one on mine i 'borrowed' from my local scrappy about 6 months ago and the fooker is still going strong!

KRISKARRERA

Ahh so it's just Mi's they're fussy with then.

I gave mine a thorough testing by subjecting it to both hot and cold and there was no difference so I think mine's ok.

Simes
where can you get a bosch ignition amp from?

Peugeot

£71.48 + VAT

5945 48

:)

MerlinGTI
Ahh so it's just Mi's they're fussy with then.

Nope, mines an 8V.

£54 from a Bosch dealer ;) much cheaper than pug.

GSF are no help at all with a refund, they want me to send it back so they can send it to the manufacturer for testing. 1 month turnaround they reckon :) And if the maufacturer was s*ite enough to make it in the first place I cant see them being able to find a fault on it. Boo GSF.

Further to GSF not being too good - I've bought a new cambelt, tensioner and waterpump from them today - should they be ok - I know some pattern things are ok to use and seemingly some, like the amp, not. What about these, anybody used them?

welshpug

should be fine, usuallt o.e like dayco and INA.

its a shame GSF dont sell more Bosch items as stock rather than select VW items.

Cheers. I will be attempting to fit them tomorrow, so expect more dumb questions! I will be following Haynes basically and it all looks reasonably straight forward. What's the deal with the tensioning of the belt though. Is it really necessary to run the engine and then re-tension, as per Haynes?

Simes

Managed to find someone who supplies Bosch ones for £40.84 + VAT

Rich_p

Could a dodgy amp on my 1.6 be the cause of the car stuttering when under load in 2nd and third gear once you go past 5k?

Simes
Could a dodgy amp on my 1.6 be the cause of the car stuttering when under load in 2nd and third gear once you go past 5k?

Quite possibly and I hope it is as I have the same issues! Don't rule out the other parts of the ignition system though.

Sign in to follow this