• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dj_mini

[race_prep] My 205 Mi16 Track / Hill Car

Dj_mini

I thought id start a page to show my progress. This is my current car that iv finished a few people my have seen it at the few events iv been to.

combe1.jpg

today002.jpg

At srd getting mapped by sandy

launceston001.jpg

But after speaking to colin sactchel and seening some of his work in action i decided that it would be a massive improvement over what i had.

So i found another shell (thanks for the tip miles) and dragged it down to launceston so colin could start the work and a few months latter the work was done turreted rear end, rj gear leaver and rj widetrack front susspension set up. I have to say im very pleased with both colin and sandys work.

new205005.jpg

new205002.jpg

I then set to work gettin the cage in i bought the pre bent parts then just a few lenghts of tube and borrowed a notcher. Iv also been busy with the hole saw and grinder lighting the shell. I m getting along quite well in my spare time its not perfect but its the best I can muster :wacko:

This is the stage im at now :

205now002.jpg

20504003.jpg

20504002.jpg

20504001.jpg

Baz

Very nice!! Top work. :wacko:

It'd be interesting to find out some of the costs involved in building such a shell, obviously this may well be some privvy info though.

Interesting build never the less, is it just a new shell for all the running gear you have already?

Dj_mini
Very nice!! Top work. :wacko:

It'd be interesting to find out some of the costs involved in building such a shell, obviously this may well be some privvy info though.

Interesting build never the less, is it just a new shell for all the running gear you have already?

Hi

Your best bet would be to drop colin a pm im sure he would quote doing a shell for you the only problem is he's so busy!

Yeah im just going to swap everything over once all the fab work and spraying is done / when funds allow.

eeyore

I am trying to standardize most of the mods to speed up the 205 shell prep and this will obviously make pricing much easier. but if your interested drop me an email.

Batfink

I love the holes lol. Do you think that door triangulation is worth doing?? What cage is yours?

Dj_mini
I love the holes lol. Do you think that door triangulation is worth doing?? What cage is yours?

Yeah doors will be a double diagonal iv just ran out of tube at the mo :rolleyes: Its a customcages main hoop and front legs the rest iv just bought 6m lengths and nothched the tubes to suit so its a diy job.

Theres a fair bit of metal iv removed iv kept it all in a rubble bag so im going to weigh it once im finished :blush:

Dj_mini

Rite time for an up date iv brought the car home now so i can spend what little free time i do get working on it.

Iv made up some new engine mounts to try and stop the engine movement but not to mount it solid as i dont feel its a good idea due to the bad vibrations it causes!

Iv also bought a few new bits gaz gold 2.5 adjustables with 300lb springs thanks to the great group buy :(

maniflow001.jpg

The car has been up at maniflow for the past week having the manifold and exhaust made i have to say they have done an excellent job with very little space that was avaliable! It was a pain having to part reassemble the car with a spare gti6 engine but it was worth it.

maniflow003.jpg

The manifold is to sandy's / jre's spec to suit the cams

maniflow004.jpg

maniflow005.jpg

Had the rear center exit to reduce the bends with a repackable back box and a center box to reduce the noise

maniflow002.jpg

arnold naber

thats looking nice...

what is the advantage of the gear leaver like that ? what does it do and where did you get it from ?

Baz

Coming along nicely!! :(

Miles

Forgot about this, Looks like a fairly good shell.

Should have given me a shout on the exhaust, My exhaust man is only up the road and used to work on most of Maniflow's one off's

Batfink

The gear lever is made by Colin Satchell. Its all rose jointed linkages. The benefit is it is running inside the car so can't get damaged when running a really low racecar.

Sandy

Exhaust looks right on Dan :ph34r: I'd be tempted to get the ceramic coating done to protect it, I was impressed with Sean's.

Matt Holley

Were you on track at combe in sepetember 07 at either eurofest or rally day, I think I remember the rally, it sounded ace :ph34r:

The new one looks to be coming on well too, I really do like the gearstick kits colin does :)

Edited by matt holley

Tom Fenton

Looks great, does the rear turretted arrangement get rid of the beam and trailing arms to use something different, or is the idea just to get rid of the torsion bars to use coilovers on the Peugeot trailing arms?

Batfink

it basically disconnected the torsion bars so you can run adjustable coilovers.

There are other versions similar such as the one from Harry Hockley motorsport who run just rear trailing arms and ditch the beam, but this setup is usually acceptable in most competition events due to the retaining of the old suspension.

lybker

no compromise build - perfect!

any more pics of the front + rear suspension / trailarms?

Dj_mini
Were you on track at combe in sepetember 07 at either eurofest or rally day, I think I remember the rally, it sounded ace ;)

The new one looks to be coming on well too, I really do like the gearstick kits colin does B)

Yeah that was my old shell at rally day with the qep mi16 in. It did sound great and go very well!

no compromise build - perfect!

any more pics of the front + rear suspension / trailarms?

There are some compromises as i dont have an endless budget thats why im trying to do as much as i can myself :rolleyes:

Im not to sure how keen colin would be if i were to put up pics of what hes done prob best to drop him a pm and he may be able to help.

Exhaust looks right on Dan I'd be tempted to get the ceramic coating done to protect it, I was impressed with Sean's.

Sandy i asked david at maniflow about this he wasnt to keen on it as he said the ones he had seen didnt work very well only the real high end i.e expensive coatings actualy worked well?

Sandy

I'm not sure it reduces the heat radiation much, but I would expect it'll hang on much better than paint. Unless he has other objections?

lybker

Yeah that was my old shell at rally day with the qep mi16 in. It did sound great and go very well!

There are some compromises as i dont have an endless budget thats why im trying to do as much as i can myself :)

Im not to sure how keen colin would be if i were to put up pics of what hes done prob best to drop him a pm and he may be able to help.

....I am working on exact same solution for rear suspension, but could do with some inspiration. Had planned to take some 6" pipe and cut into 2x ½pipes and weld to inner wing, with brackets on top to fastens suspension. I am still unsure on how to attach to trailing arms...

- what is his userprofile, den I will pm him?

lybker
colin makes custom stub axles but I'm sure some kind of bracket welded to the trailing arm would work as effectively.

not the best image but you can see the base of the coilover in this picture.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc253/k...ng/IMG_0031.jpg

Perfect - just what I was looking for! :-)

Thank you

Will get working on it next, as I allmost finished sorting my front end:

sachs_racing_2.JPG

Edited by cybernck

Batfink

I'm sure Colin could ship everything you need out to you if you wanted to save some work.

Dj_mini

Right bit more progress after a couple more days work and last minute welding i finished it sunday night at 11pm and had to be at robs to spray it 7am the next moring so it was tight but i did it!

After 3 days its done we finished it xmas eve just have to wait till monday untill i have time to pick it up :D

All the underseal gone and a fresh coat of paint we put two coats on the underside to give it a bit of protection.

paint001.jpg

paint002.jpg

paint003.jpg

paint004.jpg

paint005.jpg

welshpug

anyone say cheeese? :D

nice to see the underside done in a decent coliur, what shade have you gone for?

"just" a case of putting it back together?

Dj_mini
"just" a case of putting it back together?

Should only take me 5mins :D Sandy recons the engine might be done for end of jan so that should be just right after iv got a few of the other bits on it.

Dare i say it but its ford diamond white just cheap traffic its not for show and shine after all.