• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daveholman

Clutch Cable Problems

daveholman

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me, my clutch cable snapped today. I've managed to tow the car home and have ordered a new cable from my local Peugeot dealer. Changing it looks fairly straight forward, however, I have a feeling that there may be another piece missing from the mechanism. The clutch cable snapped at the clutch end.

From what we can see, it seems to run along the back of the engine bay then passes through a stop on top of the bellhousing/gearbox which prevents movement of the outer casing. It then appears to attach onto an L-shaped bracket which moves the clutch lever which exits the bellhousing. Now, when you look at the non-cable end of the L-shaped bracket, there is a hole which appears to have had something fitted into it, on the lever exiting the gearbox, there is a corresponding indentation which we assume was used for something to locate into. It almost looks like there should have been a cone shaped piece which sits between the two arms but has obviously fallen out when the cable went. The car is a '87 E-reg 1.9 GTi, completely standard box as far as I'm aware. Sorry if this seems a bit vague but I'm not that technically minded and my dad know's nothing about how they should be normally.

Cheers in advance for any assistance.

Dave Holman

jord294

you have a be1 gearbox

the part your missing is about 8mm dia and approx 30mm long.

you can bodge the job but if you go to peugeot main dealer, and give them part number 2120.46 fork link, they should get it in for you next day

i don't think it's that dear either

daveholman

Cheers, thanks a lot matey.

welshpug

yep, there's also a spring that doesn't seem to listed on servicebox as being fitted to the 205 (though mine had one fitted when I had a look at the gearbox)

but is fitted to the same linkage on the 309 or 405, this part is 2527 35 LEVER SPRING

ZF21H10A.gif

Edited by welshpug

daveholman

Welshpug, does this mean then that it's not fitted as standard but is a worthy addition?

welshpug

yes, or rather the parts files don't show it as fitted which is odd a the same box in the 309 and 405 do, and my car had one on its original gearbox.

my guess is that the 205 is more open to the elements and the springs have rusted away :) a bugger when a clutch cable goes!

daveholman

Right I have now fitted this along with a fork link that my dad got from a guy he works with, my next question is this, is there supposed to be a rubber gromett in the L-shaped braket to hold the fork link in place? At the minute it's just in there and I reckon that one big bump of the arm and it'd fall out.

Phil H

Once your cluutch cable is adjusted up, it sits nice and tight.

gtimon

I've done a search for a clutch problem I have.

Seeing the Pic of the clutch set-up and the above comments.

My problem seems that the lever through the BellHousing is sitting out of line with the short rod you describe.

I can move the lever to make the rod inline, but when the clutch is operated it suddenly jumps back out of line.

Then I can't get any gears.

Is there a fault inside the BellHousing with the lever or a fault with the rod ??

Any more Pics of the lever where it engages the thrust bearing. ??

Like this one:

post-8790-1211227814_thumb.jpg

But this is not the clutch system I have.

Thanks

Edited by gtimon

Sign in to follow this